Taylor Park, June 2011

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Kim Ciara, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Hi, all!

Spent about a week in lovely Taylor Park... had a great time, met lots of nice people, caught some lovely trout (mostly browns! Largest was 21-inches.) Had a total of eleven days off from work, stayed home a few days doing some domestic chores, waiting until it stopped snowing in the higher elevations, then headed out.

After my trip to Taylor, had to come home to work three 12-hour shifts, and now I'm into another seven days off! WOO HOO! After that, I'll work another three 12-hour shifts, then I've thirteen days off! (See everyone at the rally then!) BOOYAH! I have to go in to work today for a couple of hours of 'end-of-the-month paperwork', then it's off to camp and fish Beaver Creek, in Teller County, CO. Time for a few tasty brookies!

Anyway, here's a link to photos from this trip (in case anyone is bored), beginning with a few shots taken while driving across South Park, a few taken while driving up Cottonwood Pass, a few of the pass summit, and some breath-taking photos of Taylor Park from the summit of Cottonwood Pass. BEAUTIFUL place!

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/580420953zqPtPU

Most of the area's waters (creeks, streams, rivers, and beaver ponds) were blown-out by extremely high (and record-breaking) snow melt, and the beaver ponds were scrubbed-out of fish by the extreme amount of water flowing down from the mountain tops... BUT the "Hog Trough" (the first 1/4 mile of river just below the dam at Taylor Reservoir) was fishing GREAT! That's where I spent most all my time fishing, hunting that State of Colorado record-breaking trout! Didn't get 'em this time, but that is what keeps me going back... really large trout!

The weather was GORGEOUS, minimal wind (NO KIDDING! In Taylor Park??? Minimal winds! ha!), and I had a wonderful time, as did my constant companion, Bonnie, one true trout bum!

Hope everyone has a great camping season!

Happy Camping, everyone!

Kim

2. 14erfam

14erfam Member

My Dad and I were up there at the same time!!! We fished spring creek/texas creek and the potholes, and caught more rainbow than we could count. The family and I just got back from Redstone/Marble, but the flow on the Crystal and Roaring fork is ridiculous. No way to catch fish there right now without water skis on your waders!

3. 14erfam

14erfam Member

BTW- Very nice pictures!

4. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Hiya's Mike!

It's amazing we didn't bump into each other up there, huh? I spent literally no time near Texas Creek (or the Potholes) because Willow Creek had turned into a mad river from the run-off... a few different people told me Texas Creek was about the same, so I spent my entire time fishing the Hog Trough.

I hope you and your dad had a great time at Taylor, and that your family outing to Redstone/Marble was a great one!

See ya's next month!

Kim

5. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Glad you had a great trip Kim.....nice pics!

6. 14erfam

14erfam Member

LOL Kim! We actually took the opposite approach. We were told they were trying to keep the lake a little lower in order to take the run off, which means they would be letting more out of the dam= hi flow on the Taylor. Oh well, sounds like everyone caught fish!

7. ogeer3

ogeer3 New Member

Great photos, especially the fish. Wish I could have been there.

8. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

Way to get your trout on Kim!
    MR