Tear where bag awning attaches to camper

RhythmScience

Jul 26, 2020
Hagerstown, MD USA
We just went camping with our N2U 2013 Palomino Y-Series 4127 popup. Had relatively few issues, which I'll start working my way through. First: a small (about 2") tear has developed in the bit that attaches the Dometic bag awning to the camper (see picture). It's right where the center tie strap is inside the bag.
I've read some mixed opinions on awnings, but so far we love it! The tear got a bit bigger with this weekend's use, and I'd like to make sure it doesn't keep going. Any suggestions? Should I take the whole thing off and have it professionally mended (say, by an auto or boat upholsterer), or is there something I can do?

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
Take a look at how that stitching is done on the other side of the bag. There should be a keder strip above that slides into the mounting strip on the roof. It almost looks like they didn’t get the top of the bag stitched up with the strip. You might be able to take the whole thing off, straighten it up, and do an X-patterrn with a sppedy stitcherr to help secure the top of the bag to the keder strip.

MNTCamper

Super Active Member
Jun 14, 2014
MN
Take it off, remove poles and bring it in to a marine or canvas repair place, or restitch it yourself. I would recommend reinforcing that area with shoe goo, it works great. It is also possible that you have too much stress in that area via poles. We just took our awning off and brought it in, but it had about nine inches unthreaded at the leading end.

RhythmScience

Jul 26, 2020
Hagerstown, MD USA
Thanks, everyone! We've got several marine canvas shops on the MD eastern shore, but that's a bit of a drive. I'll see if we can figure out how to use a speedy stitcher and then reinforce with shoe goo. If it keeps getting worse, I'll make the drive and get it done right.

After we set the awning up (possibly for the first time ever--it was very clean), a section of some sort of very sticky grey sealant (maybe?) fell out from underneath, so I'll need to figure out what that is.

lynnmarie0123

Jun 19, 2020
im going to secure my awning (so it doesnt rip like yours) better by putting velcro up there and making it so the awning is held up and cradled tightly by velcro.

Linsey Joyceful

Jun 28, 2020
We just went camping with our N2U 2013 Palomino Y-Series 4127 popup. Had relatively few issues, which I'll start working my way through. First: a small (about 2") tear has developed in the bit that attaches the Dometic bag awning to the camper (see picture). It's right where the center tie strap is inside the bag.
I've read some mixed opinions on awnings, but so far we love it! The tear got a bit bigger with this weekend's use, and I'd like to make sure it doesn't keep going. Any suggestions? Should I take the whole thing off and have it professionally mended (say, by an auto or boat upholsterer), or is there something I can do?
we are having the same issue! let me know if you find someone semi-local who can re-sew it for you. we live in frederick.

RhythmScience

Jul 26, 2020
Hagerstown, MD USA
we are having the same issue! let me know if you find someone semi-local who can re-sew it for you. we live in frederick.
Since it's a small tear, we'll try the speedy stitcher + Shoe Goo. If that doesn't work, we'll shell out the $$ for a real repair. The only marine canvas places I've found are out around Baltimore and Annapolis. A Google Maps search for "marine canvas" pulls up several places, though I haven't checked to see if any do this sort of work. There's an auto upholsterer here in Hagerstown (Hagerstown Auto Interiors); that would probably be worth a call before driving out to the Bay.

Linsey Joyceful

Jun 28, 2020
ours is completely detached, so i was hoping to find an upholsterer who could re-attach it/sew it back on. I dont want to have to buy a new one :(

corona

Mar 12, 2013
Long Island,NY

Linsey Joyceful

Jun 28, 2020
Thanks, everyone! We've got several marine canvas shops on the MD eastern shore, but that's a bit of a drive. I'll see if we can figure out how to use a speedy stitcher and then reinforce with shoe goo. If it keeps getting worse, I'll make the drive and get it done right.

After we set the awning up (possibly for the first time ever--it was very clean), a section of some sort of very sticky grey sealant (maybe?) fell out from underneath, so I'll need to figure out what that is.
Hey! So, we had the same issue and i bought a Speedy Sewer from amazon for $10, it came wirh waxed thread and i was able to reattach my awning to the plastic piece that attaches to the pup! Now, it took about 8 hours, but it only cost me around 10 bucks and some time

Attachments

• IMG_20200906_082842_513.jpg
    IMG_20200906_082842_513.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200905_190939_134.jpg
    IMG_20200905_190939_134.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200905_171735_703.jpg
    IMG_20200905_171735_703.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 12

RhythmScience

Jul 26, 2020
Hagerstown, MD USA
Hey! So, we had the same issue and i bought a Speedy Sewer from amazon for $10, it came wirh waxed thread and i was able to reattach my awning to the plastic piece that attaches to the pup! Now, it took about 8 hours, but it only cost me around 10 bucks and some time
Nicely done!

I've got a speedy stitcher on order from Amazon (actually, it's probably on the box I found on my stoop this morning). I'll be giving that a try this weekend.