Technique for using Seam Sealer ?

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by MabelJ, Jul 21, 2016.

1. MabelJ

MabelJ Member

A seam at the corner of each bunk gave way this year, sewing with cotton-wrapped polyester thread. I will soak it to let it swell in the holes.

Ordered in McNett/Gear Aid Seam Sealer.
    The instructions on it are for a tent - says to treat the "coated" side inside the tent. This obviously does not translate well to cloth backed vinyl ... How do I apply this then? And is it best to apply when the seam is wet or dry or doesn't matter ?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We did some of the seams on our pups, not to mention tents, with McNett products. Did you get the one with the brush or dauber? Either works, and doesn't change how you use it. We like the brush to get it well into seams, and it was easier to reach tricky spots with it.
    Whatever way you can reach the seams best to make sure the sealer gets into it would probably work the best. Dry is probably best, but we did the seams on our Cobalt from the inside, during a raging rain storm, since that was the point at which we found that the water was seeping through the horizontal seams between the Sunbrella tenting and vinyl section at the bottom of all the sides. It did fine the rest of the time we owned it, 2 more full seasons.

3. MabelJ

MabelJ Member

It's the brush; I wasn't aware there was a dauber.
    (I sort by price at Amazon! LOL )

4. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

It appears you bought SeamGrip which is a fantastic urethane seam sealer, good choice.

It will make a mess if you use it on the outside. It should be used on the inside and you work it into the stitches to seal the thread and the holes.

To my knowledge the dauber type mentioned is only a latex seam sealer which is next to worthless.

5. MabelJ

MabelJ Member

Yes, it says Gear Aid Seam Sure Seam Sealer - by McNett - urethane.

6. MabelJ

MabelJ Member

WHAT A MESS!
    I went thru 3/4 of the bottle on ONE SEAM during a rain storm a few days ago.
    I will not be buying the McNett Gear Aid again now that I've seen the alternative. It's too liquid. Even when it was not raining, I found it hard to use on vertical surfaces. Hard to get it where you want without dripping down beneath the surface you are working on. Set down towels or something before you work! It may be okay if you remove the tenting and work on the ground. That was the one in a bottle with brush tip. I ended up mostly squeezing it onto cradboard then using a small paintbrush to apply it. Maybe the McNett "Seam Grip" in the tube is less liquid?

DH and I had duplicated our efforts and he had purchased a pkg of the Woods one. It was tube. Came with a spatula, small paintbrush, and the exact brush tip cap as McNett as well. This was so much easier to work with - it has a consistency more like vaseline. Dab/smear on with your finger exactly where you want it with no messy drips. Good thing I grabbed it at the last second and threw it in the trailer (I had intended to make him return it)

We were attending a wedding Saturday. This was Thursday night and my hands were a mess; wouldn't wash or flake off for 36 hours. An hour before the wedding, I found that an acetone nail polish remover pen worked! Was able to scrape right under my fingernails with it! :)

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I'm sorry it caused such a problem for you. We used it several times, including an urgent application during a several,day trip where it almost never stopped raining. I can't imagine why it behaved like that.