Technology vrs. Outdoors

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by kreich, Oct 25, 2011.

1. kreich

kreich Member

Well on the news tonight they are showing kids 1-3 years old playing games on the I-Pad. They are asked if you had a choice to play inside on the computer or go outside and play at the park what would you do. They said stay inside and play on computer. The sad thing is parents are using them as babysitters. Get your kids and any other kids around you aoutside to play.

2. georgiadave

georgiadave New Member

When I was a kid it was hard to keep me inside,Now you cant get kids to go outside

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

It's like television and lots of other things -- parents have to stay tuned to what's going on and place limits on things. Then they have to actively enforce the limits because kids will test them. Being a parent is time-consuming and energy-draining.

4. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Me too! When I was a kid, I didn't have all the gadgets kids of today have. I had my imagination to keep me entertained and a farm, land and animals. My cat got sick and tired of me dressing her up in doll clothes and would run away sometimes, but I got my dog to chase her down for me and I would dress her up again. :) Ahhh...those good ole days!

Campit

5. Reel Nauti

Reel Nauti Member

I hope this isn't too over the top. But in this day and age there seems to be more "Breeding" and less Parenting. We live in Ft.Lauderdale, away from large farm lands and rural areas, but we make sure our 2yr old experiences everything the outdoors have to offer. Away from computers and television. Boy, does he love camping. [CP]

6. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

I have the same problem with my son he just wants to stay in his room play on the xbox he made me mad one day and i took it a way for about a week.

7. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Like many we had problems limiting the kids time in front of TV, computer, game, etc. screens. For the last 2-3 yrs. we use Bob to help minimize their time "plugged in".

I won't lie. It wasn't easy at 1st and a source of conflict. And at 1st the kids used friends houses as a dodge to get some extra time in. But once we caught on to that and stuck to guns, eventually things quieted down and they adapted to the idea. Works well for us now. Since there's 4 of us, we have 2 empty slots which we use as an incentive. The kids are limited to 35 min./day and they can earn either a 35 min or 65 min extra slot but doing extra things around the house, getting their homework done right away after school, etc.

DS now is a voracious reader and DD is into arts & crafts.

BTW, we do usually use our, i.e. the parents' time, for a family movie night 1-2x/wk.

8. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

I would mow lawns to make money so I could run down to the mini mart and play Donkey Kong and Asteroids, Star Castle and Pac Man. My dad called them " Nickle Grabbers " and would never give me one red cent to waste on what he called stupidity.

I don't feel as strongly as my dad about games, but we have limits and times and places where they kids can play and its treated as a reward. Computer time is straight business and study . No games allowed on the computers at all . On trips they can play games on the ride, but not in camp or while camping unless its raining and were trapped for a few hours in the PUP, even then they would rather play a board game with us. My son would rather go fishing anyway games are just a side note on a busy life for him.

9. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

I started this a few months ago to deal with just that "problem" Everyone is quick to blame the <insert gadget name here> but the reality is the gadget isn't the problem. Check out the blog.Read the Book "Last Child In The Woods" by Richard Louv. Then join me in figuring out ways to incorporate the gadget into the outdoor experience-the gadgets are not going away we may as well embrace them and use them to our advantage.

http://gr8outdrsclub.wordpress.com/

10. scorp28

scorp28 Member

Why does there have to be a choice between the two? There can be a balance between the two. My 13 y.o. daughter for example loves to play on the computer, video games and watch tv and movies. On the other hand she is a star athlete with approximately 13%-15% body fat due to her vigorous workout routine that she made herself. She is also a voracious reader, an honor student and absolutely love to camp, hike and fish and wants to seriously take up rock climbing. We often will spend the entire day inside playing video games together and watching movies, but there are other times we are outside most of the day doing physical things like playing sports or hiking. Either way homework ALWAYS comes first.

The point I am trying to make is that you should not have to choose between the two. Expose children to as many different things as possible even if it isn't something that you can do or are any good at. I think most children if exposed to enough will always find something they like to do as much as if not more than just sit on the couch in from of a screen. Especially if a parent shows an interest and is willing to participate instead of just saying "go outside and play".

11. Unstable_Tripod

I don't know that anyone was saying it had to be one or the other. A balanced mix is OK but the problem is that some kids don't want to do anything but sit inside with the electronics.

12. mrwithit

mrwithit New Member

Hacksaw, the educational programming the nonprofit I work for thinks of louv's work as our inspiration.

Check out our website. We do everything from K-12, to graduate students, visiting school groups, to ecotourism everything we do is centered around using education and place to connect people and nature.

Tetonscience.org

13. scificamper

scificamper New Member

Our five year old granddaughter lives with us, and due to her mother’s screwy work schedule went on every camp out with us this year. She’s too young for most video games, but except for watching a dvd to fall asleep, or when she wakes up in the morning while waiting for us to really want to get out of bed, she loves being outside. She enjoys playing on the playground equipment, walking, running, bike riding. It’s great to see someone enjoy the outdoors. We are trying to foster it as much as possible. Maybe there’s still hope.

14. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

When i was a kid growing up, i had to do my homework when i got home from school, then i could go outside to play. I was always outside playing football, riding my bike, or anything else. I remember as a little kid, maybe 4-5, i would take my wagon and pretend it was a camper. Would make a pillow out of newspaper and the plastic bag the paper came in, take the leveling jacks my dad used for the old 1974 Starcraft Galaxy 8 and use them to level out the wagon. My brother, he hated sports and was content to stay inside and watch tv. Now, he has a hybrid and camps once a month with his family. I have no problem with computers and games, but i think kids need more outside time. When i was in scouts, my SM would never allow us to have games or radios for that matter.. we all thought he was deaf, but that old man could hear everything, lol! He said we were there to get away from that mind clutter, and he was right...
    I would still rather be outside playing rather than working.. and i am 38, lol!

15. Barbfdny

Barbfdny Barb, Lee, Kate, Richie, A.J. and Sasha

Whatever happened to kids playing with a stick or a rock? I used to make the meanest mudpies and build the tallest stone walls. I used a stick to play sword fight and I always won at cops and robbers.I was the girl in the neighborhood that palyed football. I have a daughter and 2 boys and all 3 love to camp. Daughter is grown and on her own but the boys age 12 and 13 are huge fans of electronics. We only allow them for 60 minutes a day providing chores are done and homework. Bad grades, you loose it. We take the laptop and ds games camping to use at bedtime or a rainy day but both my boys love the outdoors.
    You are right saying that parents use them as babysitters. Too many times I see moms handing their cell phones to their child when they started to fuss in a waiting room, or cart in grocery store.
    If parents hate that thier kids use them all the time then why are you putting them in the kids rooms? Why are you buying them a cell phone? Why do they have a laptop and wireless internet?
    If your the parent and truley in charge then change it and get your kids outside.. unless your a parent who doesn't like to participate in raising your kids and you would rather let the internet and society do it for you.....good luck with te kids!

16. Unstable_Tripod

I think that one thing those of us who say, "I rode my bike or played baseball..." etc., need to remember is that when we were kids we didn't have the choice between those activities and modern electronics because the latter didn't exist. When I was a kid a computer filled an entire building and the only "Angry Birds" around were the ones that screeched at you if you got too close to their nest. Today kids are tempted by a rapidly-changing array of electronic toys, some of which can double as educational and informational tools. As always, it is the parents who have to play an active role in making decisions and then enforcing them consistently.

17. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

As with anything, there has to be limits and balance....too much of any good thing quickly turns into a bad thing. I'm at the age now where most of my friends have kids (including myself)....and for the most part, everyone I know balances things out pretty well. Most I know are involved in a variety of extra curricular activities, to include various clubs and organizations to sports and athletics.....but they do also play video games, watch t.v. and movies, etc. I think a lot has to do with point of view......

I and my peers pretty much grew up in a rapidly changing technological environment....my generation saw the birth of video games....the birth of the internet...cellular phones.....texting.....and all sort of other technological media and mediums.

I am not as bothered by seeing a kid sitting down for an hour or two to play some video games as say.....my dad or grandfather would be. In fact, I'm more apt to see if I can join in. Until recently, I had multiple gaming systems which I've reduced to just my one Playstation 2......and honestly, there have been times where, as much as I love the outdoors, hiking, fishing, etc.......there have been times where I've just said, "man, I just feel like sitting around and playing some games today....just relax and take a load off.

While there are many negative conversations in the media in RE to technologies and our kids not getting enough exercise, etc.....there are also many positives that go under discussed. Video games and the like are actually good for the brain.....they're an exercise in brain stimulation. Studies have shown that gamers develop more brain synapses and they fire faster than non-gamers. Most games require some level of analytical problem sollving and further exercise the brain to that capacity....the more advanced the game, the higher level of problem solving skill is necessary to complete mission x and/or beat the game. Studies have also shown a positive correlation between gaming and hand eye coordination and dexterity vs non-gamers. And the list goes on.

It is very important that our kids get the proper exercise they need to be healthy and it's important for them to get some "fresh air"....but technology and kids engaging that technology is not all a bad thing IMO. It's here to stay.

18. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

[LOL] [LOL] at the Angry Birds comment....that's hillarious.

And don't forget the many parents (ones in my generation).....grew up with this explosion of technology as well......It might not be as 2nd nature to us as our kids.....but it's definitely a close 3rd nature.

19. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

On another note.....I'm actually NOT looking forward to the day when DS wants to go out riding his bike with his friends, etc. He, unfortunately, will most likely not have the "luxury" of living and growing up in a rural area as I did.

I used to ride my bike all over the place....but it was mostly dirt roads and farms. I had to ride a good five miles or so before I even got to town....and at that, it was a pretty sleepy little town.

DS is going to grow up in the city most likely as I don't see us really going anywhere. This is where the jobs are, etc and we gotta work. We live in a pretty quiet and safe neighborhood.....but as soon as you actually leave the neighborhood, just to the south, you have a 45 MPH main arterial road connecting the East and West side of town that people do more like 55 or 60 on.....to the east is another main artery linking Corrales to the Albuquerque metro area....again.....people doing 55-60 mph through there as well. He could go north a bit but would quickly run into large swaths of private property and to the west he would run smack dab into the Intel plant. I'm afraid, living a a metro area of over 1M...options are going to be pretty limited in RE to DS having free reign in the outdoors.

Like in the Wizard of Oz...."we're not in Kansas anymore Toto."

20. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

We have a family game night and play WII or Kinect Games, its quite a workout actually and we have blast. Would I pack it up and take it a campground......I don't think so.