Technology vrs. Outdoors

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by kreich, Oct 25, 2011.

1. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Most definitely not......the CG is a whole other matter entirely. The best part of camping for me is getting away from all of that stuff. We live in the city.....so it's really nice to get out into the woods and just do something special and out of the routine of daily life....to include t.v., video games, etc.

2. kreich

kreich Member

Here I am wanting everyone to get outside and enjoy the outdoors and I am glued to Portal.. Go figure...

3. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

Kreich when you can't get out camping, then the portal is the next best place to be....trust me my friend....your not alone!

JJ

4. jasf

jasf New Member

Thinking the same thing.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Yeah, this place is a sort of vicarious camping trip.

6. kozmos

kozmos New Member

I certainly believe balance is the key. My children attend a school that is based on the Reggio Emilia Approach and spend a good part of their day outside exploring and incorporating their studies. Their weekly homework is based on reading and computer work so I incorporate tv, movie & computer time into their busy schedule to give them some down time. When camping though they have a little video/movie time but not much as we keep busy outdoors and at the campsite. We camp to get away from a lot of the distractions in our normal lives so our routines are quite different.

7. dclm

dclm Member

When I was a kid (not too long ago, and I still consider myself a kid) me and my friend were always out side. We would play football, baseball, basketball with other friends from sun up till sundown some summer days. We would ride bikes (we even made our own drivers licenses out of cardboard and a school picture), heck an night we would pretend we were cops on bikes and make coffee and have coffee breaks about every 5 min. when we werent "chasing" stop sign runners or speeders! We would rollerblade too. I was not that good, I remember 2 of my best falls. One was onto a wall and another was going under a parked truck. How?? Don't ask. We used to go out early in the morning and take the papers from our neighbors front lawn and re-sale the papers to our neighbors! (Got in a little bit of trouble with my parents when they found out what i was doing), so then we resorted on painting pictures and selling them for 0.10. Sorry I rambled on, but I just wanted to get that off my chest and let you know what part of my childhood was like. I sure do miss it!

8. dfab

dfab New Member

I choked when I read that that's funny , your parents should of been proud for your way of thinking insted of getting mad.

9. cmoore13

cmoore13 New Member

I've never understood this myself. I couldn't be kept indoors growing up! I love technology and all it has to offer, but its a pretty easy choice for me. I'll take to the woods any day over video games or tv. I don't even like having my phone on when I'm camping. I figure a few years ago when no one had cell phones, everyone survived, and if I don't keep mine on while I'm enjoying the outdoors, so will I. [:D]

10. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

I wasn't one much for the great outdoors while I was growing up. But now if the weather is cooperating you will be hard pressed to keep me indoors, until it is too dark to see what I am doing

11. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

I just wonder this. Have we as parents scared our children a little about the outside world ? I know I for one am a little paranoid about where my kids are and I watch them like a hawk everywhere we go. I wonder if that carries over to them and holds them back somewhat. I do like it better when they are home as opposed to feeling uneasy when they go down the street or walk to school.

I would wander miles from home and across town on my bike when I was 8-10 years old, no way would I let my kids do that at the same age . Maybe we keep too short a leash in today's world. Or maybe I just do . :)

12. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

That's a very interesting point and I can't help but wonder if perhaps "technology" has played a roll in this paranoia.

My dad frequently comments on "how the world has changed" since he was a kid and I was a kid and that "it's just not a safe place anymore". Those comments always leaves me wondering....has it really changed...is it less safe than before, or is it just our perspective? Now of course, a lot has changed in RE to technology and other advances....but when you think about it, with all of the technological advances we've seen over the last 30 years, we have a wealth of information at our fingertips now. We have multiple 24 hour media outlets...the internet....blogs.....etc, etc, etc. I often wonder if our exposure to "too much information" has made us paranoid.

When I was a kid, if it wasn't in the local rag or on NBC nightly news, then we would be completely unaware of this event or that event. Whereas now, I believe media outlets go out of there way to sensationalize stories and they run over and over and over again to the point where we've come to think that the boogie man is always right around any given corner waiting to hurt us and our families.

As for me, I can tell you for certain of one thing that has changed in my "world" from childhood. I grew up in a small, sleepy farm town in Nebraska. There was virtually no crime rate to speak of. The headline of a big story in the local rag might read something like....."Teens Busted Again for Cow Tipping; Parents to Ship off to Boarding School; or "Tire Slasher Apprehended by Authorities".

Now, we live in a city with one of the highest violent crime rates per capita in the country. Granted, most of this activity takes place in areas of town that I would never think to venture....but I can't even watch the news here without paranoia kicking in and thinking we're going to get shot while we're out grocery shopping or something. Our area of town is very nice middle to upper middle class and very quiet....but my paranoia tells me it's a big bad world out there....and yes, I cringe at the idea of DS venturing too far from home on his bike one day.

13. 14erfam

14erfam Member

14. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I'm going to download this to my Kindle....looks like a good read.

All said, there is a "glimmer of hope".....I mean, just look at how much complaining there is about this and that CG being full....have to make reservations a year in advance.....have to really get deep into the woods just to get away from it all. Apparently, there are a lot of folks out there camping and eating into that "nature deficit"

15. Kenpopup

Kenpopup New Member

Life is different today than even a few years age.I couldn't be kept inside even though I played video games they were for rainy days or snow days(my grand father got me an Atari 2600 for Christmas when i was 9 because my parent moved New Hampshire and I was driving my parent crazy because we only received 2 channels on the TV). My children range from my youngest two girls who hate to be inside to my son who said that "dad just face it their are two kinds nowadays inside and outside and I am the inside kind". To my grandchildren who I am raising,I have no choice during the day to entertain the kids with the TV.

16. 14erfam

14erfam Member

True, but there are major demographics of kids who have never even seen the wilderness (not here on the portal of course). My father is a ranger for one of the open space areas here in Colorado. He routinely teaches programs to headstart or inner city youth that have never been west of Denver in their entire lives. These are just examples of course. He also has a lot of elementary schools come up for extension work on eco-systems, etc. Many of those children have also never seen the mountains. Its really sad, Colorado is one of the biggest wilderness playgrounds in the country and these are children who live only 30 minutes away. I think the book makes some excellent points on how this "nature deficit" can contribute to childhood obesity, ADHD, etc.

17. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Our DS likes to go on the computer (Facebook) and plays his Xbox and will sit and watch TV. But, if it nice out and he has time he will jump on his bike and go for a ride. When we go camping and we are able to bring his bike, we will. This past weekend while we were at Knoebels CG and it was 39* in the morning he was on his bike riding around.

He does not live in front of the computer, Xbox or the TV. He does like to go hiking! He joined the hiking club at school. He also joined the fencing team.

I think we just need to be parents and get them involved! He even talked me into going to Philmont Scout ranch in 2013 with him! This should be interesting, now I need to get in shape!!!!

18. Mc7

Mc7 New Member

Anyone seen the Bruce Willis movie The Surrogates? I feel we are heading that way sometimes. The movie is about people not leaving there houses. They have robotic clones that go out. They lay in the chair with wires attached to there body and control it's every move. [:!]

19. mrwithit

mrwithit New Member

My family may be an exception as we have made choices to live in an outdoor Mecca. Once work is over we ski, bike, and hike because that is our priority and lifestyle.

We feel as parents, and individuals, that tech also creates opportunities to be outside, not limit it. Due to wireless tech, smart phones in particular, we can access the necessary to allow us to play more. We are less tethered. We can pull our young kids from school to travel and play b/c we can use tech to supplement the classroom. I cam work from anywhere.

For me camping is an escape, but not from "screen time." I escape from the obligation of painting and mowing, from laundry, cleaning, basically routine.

I know I am lucky that we have found a way to "have it all". It's a trade off that I may pay for in retirement.

Hopefully that came across well as I feel very fortunate and the rangers are up in the 8th and i am one favorite beer short of trouble.

20. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    As the saying goes, "You plant corn, you get corn".

As Cub Scout leader, my job is to get kids outside and teach them how to responsibly enjoy the outdoors. The biggest impediment that I have encountered is the parents. They have no love of the outdoors and consider it a nuisance (or worse) to be without modern conveniences.

What chance do kids have with that kind of influence? Kids will learn to embrace and love things if they are just taught to.