Technology vrs. Outdoors

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by kreich, Oct 25, 2011.

1. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

It all comes down adults being the adult. Providing guidance, moderation, exploration, challenges, discipline (as in teaching focus) and rewards to kids. When adults abrogate that responsibility kids take the path of lease resistance. That often means being introverted, lacking social skills and becoming unwilling to take risks. IMHO...everything in moderation...except for camping of course! LOL!!

2. scorp28

scorp28 Member

I honestly believe that for a lot of kids the more you restrict something or the more you make it sound bad, the more they want it or want to do it. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that kids should make all of their own choices or do whatever they want because that would not work out good at all. If you don't think that is true just look back at your own childhood and that of your friends when you were growing up. If your parents were always telling you no tv, video games or candy or whatever the case may be what would you or your friends try to do? Maybe go to a friends house to do what you couldn't do at home? Do as much of the "bad" or restricted stuff as possible if you were ever left at home by yourself? When did you have the most fun?

It has never crossed my mind to severely limit my daughters tv watching or video game/computer playing. I have also never told her that she couldn't have her phone with her or bring her Nintendo dsi or whatever with her if we were going camping.

Maybe I just got lucky in the fact that I have never had to do that with her in order for her to enjoy and experience multiple activities including camping and the outdoors in general. I prefer to think that it is because of the way I raised her though that makes her that way. My 2 nephews were raised similarly and are the same way also.

I know more than 1 person that absolutely hates camping because of the way they were exposed to it as children when camping with their families. Basically they were not allowed to bring games, electronic or otherwise, or their walkman lol because they were there to "enjoy the outdoors and not play games". Even though at least one of them told me that they pretended to have fun so they wouldn't get in trouble or anything for moping around when they really weren't having any fun (usually), they said it still left a bad taste in their mouths and would never go again. I have tried many times to get one of them to go and the answer is always "no way, camping sucks". I know camping is not for everybody but I think in these situations it could have been different if they were allowed to do things that they thought were fun while camping. Their is one sure fire way to make sure a child hates doing something. Don't let them enjoy doing it. I also have one friend that never leaves his house unless he absolutely has to for work and such and has been that way for the last 20 years or so since he first moved out on his own. I asked him why he always stays in the house and he said because he was always made to go outside and play when he was younger because it was "healthy for him" and "tv would rot his brain". Well since moving out and watching copious amounts of tv and playing video games he has also managed to get 2 bachelor degrees and a masters and makes enough to hire people to do his yard work and sometimes do his shopping for him too. There goes the tv rots your brain theory. lol

I will never attempt to tell someone how they should raise their own kids or what they should allow them to do or not to do so please don't take anything I say that way. These are just some of my opinions and experiences.

3. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Xolthrax the new data does support any music/anywhere at any age. Again I am not suggesting that my way is the only way but I can guarantee you it does work. As far as the analogies that you disagreed with or thought were "unfair" we'll just have to disagree I think they are spot on.Teach the kids to use a map and compass but you need to teach them to understand gps coordinates also or you are doing them a disservice. To the point of "different goals/different tools" I can go along with that...now if more people would just be willing to be more open to alternatives and accept that time in the woods even distracted by a <insert evil technology here> is better than no time in the woods. I am sure your scouts get a wonderful fulfilling experience and that you are a good leader but then again scouts that have been scouting for long enough to go on those retreats/adventures already have a strong connection with the outdoors where as I am talking about making an initial connection for someone that may be a little older and not have a "family" connection to the outdoors.Different strokes for different folks I guess

4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Those pics are great! reminds me of our son at that age.

We taught our son to be outdoors and limit video games/computer. He can't wait for warmer weather to come around again so he can go bike riding!

5. papachaz

papachaz New Member

if we could give "plus 1" here i'd give you one for this post! i'm with you, heck i wouldn't even watch tv until after dark, and that was only if i wasn't off somewhere doing some of the games you had to wait til dark to play, LOL

we camped with our DD's when they were small. my oldest DD was my hunting and fishing buddy. it was pretty much, if i went, she went when she was growing up.

6. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    papachaz, I would give your comment a +2 if I could. Even with camping and engaging with other outdoor activities with my children on a regular basis, and limiting their "screen time" during the week, I still find necessary to limit their screem time for their own good.

My son brought home an award for "player of the week" for their "First In Math" program this week, meaning he earned more points this week than anyone else in his school. He managed that despite a strict daily rule for screen time, including the computer. He set his goal on the award and allocated his time appropriately to earn it. I consider that a worthy accomplishment.

On a camping trip, you will find him busying himself with MANY activities that don't include electronics. He knows how to use them if he must, but he also knows how to ignore them if they aren't necessary.