Telescopic posts won't go up after coils replaced

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by kreckley, Oct 7, 2021.

1. kreckley

kreckley New Member

Hi. I hope help is out there.

I've been working on my 1995 Jayco Eagle 8 popup for months now, and I am frazzled. I've owned the popup since 1996. I've never worked on it myself before and never had mechanical problems before. This summer, the roof would not align with the base of the camper causing the posts to lean to the back of the popup (or vice versa) and the canvas for the bunks to be out of alignment. As a result, I could no longer get the posts in above the beds.

During my hunt for a repair person, I explained that there was a clunk in one corner when I pulled on a cable. He believed the clunk was the result of a damaged coil when I failed to unlatch that corner before attempting to raise the roof. After hearing the cost of repair, I decided to tackle the issue myself. I replaced that coil, but I still had the same issue with the beds. I adjusted the cables at the eyebolts too many times to count and I replaced 3 of the eyebolts with longer ones. Nothing has worked. I decided that, because of the age of the popup, I would replace the other three coils and the cables if I still had a problem.

While working on the second coil on the same side as the first, I had some questions and pulled out the post and the first coil to see how it went back together. I don't know if taking out two coils on the same side of the popup caused my current problems, but I seem to have a mess. Neither post will lift now, and I am unable to reattach them to the roof.

The roof is currently held up by 2x4's. I had cranked the winch all the way down before replacing the second coil. After replacing the second coil and messing with the first coil, I noticed that the two cables for those corners had no slack at all. I couldn't figure out why they were so tight (remember the winch is cranked all the way down), so I removed the first coil again and pulled a lengthy piece of the cable out of the track to try to give it as much slack as the cables for the other corners. The first time I put the coil back in, the cable went tight with no slack. The second attempt at putting the coil back in left some slack on the cable. I don't know if it's enough because I still can't raise the posts.

I am having no luck with the corner where the second coil was replaced. When I attempt to pull on the cable to lift the coil, the cable feels like it's stuck on something. When the coil is removed, the cable no longer feels stuck. Put the coil back in, and I have the same problem. I am stumped at this point. Is it possible that the the cable is twisting around the coil? I'm hesitant to take the cable out of the track and attempt to put it back in because I don't have enough knowledge and haven't found a video yet that will give me much needed confidence.

Any advice would be so appreciated. I do have the written instructions for making repairs to the lift system which is the L & W lift system.

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Is this the repair manual you have? Oh, welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

Attached Files:

3. kreckley

kreckley New Member

Yes, that's the one.