Telescopic Rods? (fishing)

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Hoosier Daddy, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

I have been on the look out for some inexpensive mico ultralight rods, one spinning and one casting for the tiny reels I now have. These will be designated life in the P'up. I have run across Shakespeare's "Travel Mate" Telescopic Rods that can be bought for less than $15 each.
    Has anyone any experiance with the "Camping / Hiking" telescopic rods? You know, the ones that collapse down into the handle.

[​IMG]

I've always thought they were a hoax and not intended for real fisherman. Kinda like the Ronco Pocket Fisherman AS SEEN ON T.V.! from the '70s. But the reviews on them aren't too bad, study, durable, maybe a little heavy on the action but that only makes sense seing how it has 5 sections in a 4' 6" lenth.

Best part is they are only 13-1/2" when collapsed. I can stash these with the tiny reels and a small pocket tacklebox just about anywhere in the P'up. That way when we camp next to a lake (usually) I can be ready anytime.

Thoughts / experiance anyone?

2. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

They work ok, but I prefer the multi piece ones. Better action, and they don't collapse down by themselves.

3. Hoosier Daddy

Yea, that's my concern, or the opposite of over extending and pulling apart with a fish on. [:O]
    I have been looking at them on Dick's Sporting Goods and Amazon, then yesterday I remembered that tucked in the back of my wallet was a Cabela's gift card that DD#1 gave me about 3 years ago.
    So even though it was a few dollars more from them, I ordered the spinning rod TM46SPT online and for a mere $2 out of pocket it will be here this coming week. No big investment to see what it is like... and I can finally show her what she got me for Christmas! :)

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Much better off buying a travel rod. The Cabela's 3 pc. Tourney Trail for $75 or Salt Striker for $80 are good rods. For $100 you can get the 4 piece Cablela's Fish Eagle 50 Travel rod. For another $20-$30 you can get A St. Croix Triumph Travel rod.

Can you catch fish with the collapsible rods, of course. Will you enjoy the experience, yes but perhaps not as much if you are a fisherman that enjoys the hookup and fight as the catch. Will you catch as many, most likely not.

5. Troutfishing

Troutfishing Member

I use the multi piece ones, I store them in a 4" PVC pipe on the front hitch up against the PUP using bungee cord to hold it on and screw caps at both ends, also store wiener sticks, BBQ utensils and rope.

6. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

I have had one for about 20 years now it has always worked fine keep it in my backpacking gear and used it a lot on streams and small rivers. Mine is not the best for casting but it works and has held up very well.

7. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

LOL....had a pocket fisherman as a kid....and even caught a few fish on it. I have had a few collapsible rods for backpacking, kayaking and stuck behind the truck seat over the last 40 years....and yes they "Will Do" But personally I prefer a regular rod regardless if I'm fly, spin or bait casting.

8. Split

Split New Member

I use these rods all the time. Much easier to get in and out of my fishing holes without a long rod. It depends on what and where u fish

9. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

I have the coleman version. They seem fine to me.

Jerry in MA

10. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Yeah I've had a few over the years. First one probably about 40 years ago. They work good for what they were intended for. Put a reasonable reel on it, and you will have a pretty good rod. Takes no room in the Pup. Yes they are stiff, but if you're too worried about the action of the rod, you would never consider getting one of these because would would only use your $1000 set up. I prefer my 'better' rods, and haven't used my telescope rods in a long long time, but still have a few around. Go for it, you'll get use out of it.

11. Hoosier Daddy

I went ahead and ordered the 4' 6" ultra light spinning rod, mounted a "Hand-Me-Down" Cetus 6 bearing U.L. spinning reel on it and took it to the lake, casts fine! But unfortunately can not report how it feels with a fish on.

[​IMG]

Packed it in an old Platt hand gun hard case I had to keep in the Pup with a small pocket tackle box. By organizing the foam divider I still have room for a matching casting rod to go with the Zebco "UL3 Classic" casting reel I have to match. Never know when a SIL or Grand-kid will want to go along. ;)

[​IMG]