Television and how to store for traveling

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by Camposyka, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Camposyka

Camposyka New Member

I just bought a 22" flat screen for the pup. I was wondering how does everyone pack it for traveling in the pup. I guess I can just use the original box but I will have to take off the pedestal mount everytime. Any good solutions?

2. pcfeld

pcfeld New Member

Kids asked how we could do it with a oldl one we had years ago. Never determined a way then and kids never missed it and we still don't take one with us. If it is a long trip we may take a laptop and a few DVD's but have never seen a need since once the day is done the kids had always be tired and fell asleep quickly. Lucky for us we never used electronics to calm the kids down at bed time and it helped when we started camping.

3. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

You can always try a Pelican case or something similar.

4. CIGARGUY

CIGARGUY New Member

We have been considering the same thing. My solution was going to be putting the tv between 2 or our bed pillows under a dinette bench. Should be enough padding to keep it from getting jarred around too badly.

5. Tnerb

Tnerb New Member

When we had our TT, we'd put the television face down on the bed surrounded by pillows. Never had a problem.

I have no idea how we're going to do this in our PUP.

A word of caution....... I've been told by a friend who sells electronics to never put pressure on the flat screen as it might cause some pixel problems.

6. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

We bought a 14" LCD screen with built-in DVD player a couple of years ago. We occasionally take it with us. It's stored in a dinnette seat where we keep our towels. Wrapped in one layer of large bubble wrap with towels on top & bottom. Not trouble so far.

7. bodsworth

bodsworth Member

We have a 27 inch lcd we bring with us. We just wrap it in a blanket and lay it on the floor under the fold out couch.

Being doing this for 1 year and never did anything special such as bubble wrap and it still seems to be fine.

8. EV2

EV2 Member

O.K., at the risk of being told that I do not need a television and lectured on the purpose of camping, I would like to actually reply to your inquiry. We found a plastic container with a snap-latch lid that matched the dimensions of the flat screen with the base in place. That also provided space at the edges for the remote, cables, etc. The container fit nicely on the floor under the table and was flat enough to have space for a couple of pillows on top under the table in the down position. I believe it was made as an under-bed storage container.

9. Luv2hikeAR

Luv2hikeAR New Member

We have a 19" and the pedestal base just snaps on pretty easily. So, we kept the original box and packing material.

10. Camposyka

Camposyka New Member

I like this idea! My base screws on so kind of a pain to remove each time.
    I also have an absolute ZERO need to justify to anyone else why I want to bring my television camping. Thanks to everyone for their great ideas!

11. highside pup

highside pup Active Member

Place mine on the dinnette in down position with pillows around, 2 season and no problems. Like to watch news and weather late at night and don't mind admitting
    that

12. warwgn3

warwgn3 Car Shows are 2nd only to Camping!

I just put my 12" B/W CRT TV on the floor with the screen up against one of the folded mattresses.

I also admit to wanting to watch the news and local broadcasts to help me dose off, as well as a little morning weather report to help me plan the day while making breakfast.

13. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

We put ours, wrapped in a jacket, under the couch in one of the storage compartments. We wedge it in enough that it doesn;t move around but not so much that it crushes anything.

14. Indy-Sedona

Indy-Sedona 2001 Sedona

When I started shopping for a flat screen for the pup I did not even think about how to pack it. Turns out I purchased a 15” Polaroid 1080i flat screen with built in DVD player and all the connectivity needed. Searching around the house I found a large laptop computer carry bag my wife had from a previous job. The bag is padded , plenty of pockets and is very sturdy like a soft sided briefcase. The flat panel fits perfectly in the case with plenty of protection. I just pop the base off stick it in one of the pockets and the electrical cords in other pockets. The set also runs on 12V DC so I can plug into the pup battery if off the grid. Works great!

15. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

We don't store ours but share it between the kitchen and camper. If/when going camping with us, the television is bubble wrapped.

16. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We store ours the exact same way!

17. Shannon

Shannon New Member

We have always taken a TV camping. No, we don't need it but we like it. Rainy days, morning news, quiet time inside, etc etc etc. It's disheartening to see others judge what people do.

Right now we have an older tv (13" big boxy thing) we take and we just sit it on the floor under the dinette. We have been thinking about upgrading to a flat screen and also wondered about how to store it. There are some great ideas here! We do have a laptop that we could take but I worry it would get knocked down. Part of our reason for considering an upgrade to a flatscreen is the possibility of mounting it. We have been thinking about doing a swing arm above the galley so it could pivot towards either bunk.

18. tlgenterprises

tlgenterprises New Member

[​IMG]

All these from GOODWILL.

The black bag has straps on both ends. Perfect fit for my 27 inch LED TV.

The white baby thingy I cut to size of bag. It is also concave,
    which is about the shape of TV's back. The thingy has straps to
    fasten TV.

Little doggy bed goes on top of TV. A Coleman at that. [:D]

Then I just ZIP the bag. Stays in TOW VEHICLE when not in campsite.

19. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

We purchased a 19 in. HDTV and unpacked at our campsite on our first outing. Well, low and behold, there were no screws to attach the stand. We ended up using superglue to attach the stand. We kept the box, and the tv fits in the box ok, even with the stand attached, and I am able to put the rabbit ears in it, and close it up. I was bringing to and fro in the tow vehicle, but last time out, I decided to store it in the PUP.

20. patrick bermudez

patrick bermudez new member my pups name is (it"ll do )

i also have a 25 inch HD color TV flat screen ,i keep it in the origanal box , i also have a DVD player i store them in my pup while traveling.
    these tv s , the stand is a snap on and snap off .you dont need screws or super glue