Television antenna

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by campingprincess, Mar 27, 2013.

1. campingprincess

campingprincess New Member

Hello does anyone have a tv antenna for their tv that they bring camping? If so what kind do you have? And indoor or an outdoor one? Where do you mount it if you have an outdoor one? How many channels do you get on average? Sorry so many questions we are looking into getting a little tv for inside the trailer for us to be able to watch local news, give the kids something to do on rainy days...... Just wanna get some tips on what the resto of you use before I decide on what kind to get & how much money to spend...... We already have DVD, iPad, laptop etc that will be brough on some trips, so just wanting advice on what kind of antenna to get. Thanks!!

2. daveman

daveman Member

I have an old "2 element" antenna I used to use with my 88 starcraft (MacGyvered a mount on the roof side), and it worked ok....the problem here in NS is nobody uses the old terrestrial transmissions anymore....even CBC is hard to find.

3. hahahamilton

hahahamilton Member

Our TT has an antenna but we haven't used it yet and most likely won't. Most of the place we camp at have WiFi so we just watch TV from our iPad. It isn't live but there are genrally enough shows to watch that we haven't seen.

4. TheBerrys

TheBerrys 1977 Palomino in Albuquerque, NM

5. campingprincess

campingprincess New Member

Thanks.... I am thinking more of an outdoor one would bring in more channels. I know usually the small indoor ones do not bring in very many channels......thanks everyone for your input :)

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Our TT has one of the winegard Sensor antenna's with the added wingman .. it's alright.. No where near as good as a multi arm true antenna you'd have for your house, but it does work most of the time and for what we use the tv for while camping is alright..

7. jnewkirk77

jnewkirk77 New Member

I made my own from wire hangers and some leftover scrap copper wire I had. Works well for UHF channels, passably so for the high-VHFs.

This was the basic premise, but to save space, I made half of this one: http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com/

I used an old scrap piece of "wood" for the base and used shelf brackets to hold it together. If it doesn't pull in channels, I just don't watch TV. Just that simple for me. As long as I can watch my Saturday baseball, that's all I care.

8. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

DW got one off the internet for about $30. We hoist it up the flagpole that we fly our Nascar flags on. Depending on where we are, we can pick up 30 or 40 channels. If we are way out and far away from a city with a TV station we might only get 2 or 3 stations.

9. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire