television in our pop up..which make and model and how big..need ideas

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by Barbfdny, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Barbfdny

Barbfdny Barb, Lee, Kate, Richie, A.J. and Sasha

We are second year pop up owners. Camped the whole first season with 3 kids and no tv. We did join other campers outside their popups and watched the NASCAR races on sundays while at camp. It was fun. We were thinking about getting a television for ours. What make and model works for you and what size. Most campsites we go to have free cable hook up so we dont need anything extra right. Your imput will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS for those campers that are done for the season..we feel for you , we are also done, those 20 degree nights and frost in the morning is too much for me. I don't want to spend the day in the camper because its too cold outside.

2. windstar

windstar New Member

I have one Phillips 19" flat screen. Perfect size for us.

3. KarltonKrill

KarltonKrill New Member

I have a cheap 19" Insignia (Best Buy) brand unit. It is small and lightweight.

I also use a small portable DVD player (Insignia) that has two screens that hang from the headrest of the tow vehicle's front seats. The kids can watch movies on long trips, then we can plug the portable DVD player into the 19" TV and watch a movie in the camper in the evening or if weather is bad.

4. Techhead

Techhead New Member

My kid has a portable DVD player. If I were to get an actual tele, 19" would be plenty.

What size were you watching NASCAR on? Was it too small? too big? Just right?

5. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We picked up a 15" Panasonic flat screen with a DVD player on Overstock for about $100. It fits nicely in a tote we store in the potty/shower combo when we close down. It's big enough for what we use it for. Been known to watch a Nascar race or two on it. We have gotten up to 25 channels on the cheapo rabbit ears we use.

6. kc8pny

kc8pny Member

we take along a Portable DVD Player for them days when we cant get outside, and like it was this weekend with no fires due to a current burn ban then there was no sitting outside by the fire. So the Portable DVD player was just right. I also carry my laptop with me and the campground has wifi so i can access my work computers and do any reports I have todo instead of staying home. It also works good for Netflix as well.................

7. EV2

EV2 Member

We happened across an inexpensive Sylvania 19" with a DVD player built in. The size works well, stores easily in a plastic container under the dropped table, and the included DVD player also saves space.

8. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

We have a small one and run the antenna wire out a zipper, out on the roof.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. beefybean

beefybean New Member

We typically just watch movies, so I'm looking at maybe a portable screen and a projector. Some of the pico projectors would be ok at night. They're fairly cheap and incredibly small.

If you want morning news, etc., a flat screen is convenient. However, I also plan on having a laptop or tablet. While that can't get TV signal, with many places having wireless, you can still get a great deal of content. Then enjoy the big screen at night.

10. azbirddog42

azbirddog42 Bullhead City, Arizona

I also have a Phillips 19" flat screen. Use a DVD [:D] player for movies. As far as the news [SNZ] goes, I'll find out when I get home.. AZ [8D]

11. warwgn3

warwgn3 Car Shows are 2nd only to Camping!

I have a 12" Zenith Black and White TV. I have no idea how old it is, but it's still going strong, and it fits the period of my pop-up, so I don't plan to upgrade until it dies.

[​IMG]

12. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

We picked up a very nice Toshiba 15" that has a built-in DVD player. That's actually what we got it for. Picked it up on sale for @$140. Fits nicely under our dinnette seats wrapped in bubble wrap.

When we camp all we do is bring a few DVDs along for the kids. Never have used it as a TV. Big enough for us. Up until last yr. we were using a 7" DVD player in a tent so it's a "big screen" for us. Maybe I'll try hooking up an antenna and see what happens. Would be nice to get some local weather off the TV instead of the NOAA radio.

13. ScottnMelissa

ScottnMelissa New Member

No TV for this group. 16yo son has a DVD player because he can't live without technology.
    Even if the weather is bad, card games, board games and reading helps pass the time.

14. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

Us also, a television is blasphemy to camping according to how I was raised.
    We carry no Tv, and last year didn't even unpack laptops while camping. What communication with the outside world we needed we got via our smartphones.

We got rained on pretty good during our maiden voyage last year, we alternated between reading a book, and napping. Best campout I'd had in ages!! lol

15. jjsul

jjsul New Member

Model:GO (Great Outdoors)
    Size: Huge - 3D
    Includes full sensory sensations.

When we had the TT's a TV was part of the gear, but now being back with tents and popups there is no need for the TV

It also could be that our preference is with State, County CG's with room and limited hookups. I think you find more TV's in the commercial CG's

Not being a snob. Just our preference.

16. cma7777

cma7777 Member

I saw an off brand LED 19 in. (720p) at Walmart yesterday for $139. I wish I could afford it right now.

17. EV2

EV2 Member

Wow, this has to be a record. OP asked for recommendations for television viewing and it took 5 months before someone had to share that they do not condone the use of television while camping. Great to share that valuable information and hopefully the OP has not used any of the relevant suggestions and made a purchase during the interim. [:(]

18. kingsrider

kingsrider New Member

Greetings, I purchased a 19" Sceptre LED LCD with built-in DVD player. This TV is fantastic. Super low energy consumption (26 watts). It has a power converter 120ac to 12 volt dc. The TV can be powered by shore hook up, inverter or 12 volt outlet. I went to radio shack and purchased a 12 volt plug and cord with a 5 amp output so the TV is powered by the trailers battery.

http://www.amazon.com/18-5-Led-Tv-720P-DVD/dp/B003YGSPW2

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=18.5%22+Led+Tv+720P+with+DVD+by+Sceptre+Inc.&cid=16750957470502722038&os=tech-specs

For those campers out there who feel a TV is inappropriate while camping, I hear you. But after the campfire and smors, when you have your wife and 2 little girls cuddled up with you in one bunk-end and your watching their favorite movie? The closeness is awesome... [:D]

Plus last year I had to listen to NFL playoff game on the radio [:(O] [:(!]

19. LauraLieTx

LauraLieTx Member

Oh Wow!! [:D] love the flat screen with built in DVD !! I will have to get one of those!! that is after I finally find my pop-up!! lol would be great for those rainy days or late nights an no camp fire!! lol .....Thank You!!!...Happy Camping [CP]

20. redjacket

redjacket In memory of Nick Dilal, Sr. 1931-2005

We have a 13" television with built in vcr that I paid $10 for at a garage sale. It's mainly to entertain the grandkids with videos when it's rainy and it helps put them to sleep at night.