television in our pop up..which make and model and how big..need ideas

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by Barbfdny, Oct 15, 2010.

1. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I just bought a 22inch plasma and am using it with a Road Trip Dish with Direct TV as service provider...never miss a race again

2. Bonniy

Bonniy arizona bred and born

we have a small 21 inch flatscreen that we use, and we also have directv, and have gotten an extra dish and cable to use and have something to watch in the pup when we are resting and not doing anything, we also have a dvd player to use too

3. jshulenberger

jshulenberger New Member

We bring a laptop to watch movies if needed. Even Netflix via wireless. You can also get a USB TV Tuner so you can watch free digital TV, or analog cable on the laptop. I tried one, but be warned. You need a newer laptop for it to have enough power to run it well.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr950q.html

You can get it at BestBuy, and try it out.

4. Cindy F

Cindy F New Member

5. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

We have a nice Panasonic portable DVD player for the car that we can use in the camper.
    I also purchased a little 7-9" portable TV from Radio Shack last year (awesome reception on built in antenna).

I figure this is plenty when camping.
    If you are instead going RV'ing, then a larger system might be in order [:D]

6. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

We use a small 13" rv with additional dvd player. As you can see in the picture, sometimes I'll bring the Tivo with a bunch of prerecorded shows/movies. With 110 recording hours I can get a lot of different things to watch. The tv is not huge but it does the trick. I have also mounted on a board I made that stands next to the hardsided shower to keep it out of the way.

[​IMG]

7. cesperon

cesperon New Member

We picked up a little 13" flat panel uber-cheap on black friday last year. I really didn't know what I was going to do with it, but couldn't pass up the deal. So it has found a home in the pup. We also got a nifty little digital antennea for a few bucks, cord slips nicely out the AC hole.

I don't forsee it being used much when there is other stuff to do, but I have enjoyed the heck out of it while cleaning and messing with the pup in the driveway. I found free digital channels I didn't know existed (cable in the house) including a real music channel that plays music all day long.

Both kids have portable DVD players and laptops, so more than likely, if they need an electronic pacifier to wind down at night, they will probably use those.

8. Loving life

Loving life New Member

9. Hotpeper

Hotpeper Member

We purchased a refurbished Skyworth 19" (actual size 18.5") from roadtrucker.com. It is 12 volt/120 volt with a built in DVD player and works great. $189.00 with free shipping. They all so have smaller sizes. The company was great to do business with.
    [2C]

10. azbirddog42

azbirddog42 Bullhead City, Arizona

Have a 23 inch Phillips flat screen and a Vue Kube satellite receiver. Works with Direct TV. I can get everything I get at home...

11. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

I have an IVIEW 7" digital tv for emergency. It runs off of rechargable batteries or AC. There is no reception where I go camping so I don't bring it along.

12. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

this topic reminded me that I was going to look into DirecTV's RV program. I just called and they are sending out someone on Tuesday with the dish, cable and tripod. I am not sure that we'll use this that often, but since its free, why not have it????

In the past we were tent campers, so no electricity for TV. We did use the portable DVD in the car for long trips. Since we purchased our pup this summer, we have taken our laptop and the boys have watched DVD's for some quiet time before bed.

again, I am not sure if we will use the dish, but its nice to have the option just in case :)

13. taterjas

taterjas New Member

Bump

14. RetiredLT

RetiredLT New Member

This past Thanksgiving we went to Florida to visit my grandsons. Just happened to be there for Black Friday at Walmart. Walmart had a 32 inch Emerson flatscreen LED TV for $98. Switched out the 19 inch that we usually take with us from our bedroom. Also have extra Blu-ray player that we take with us to watch movies. All of these fit on top of the dinette set when folded down when we pack up the PUP.

If cable is not available at the CG, we purchased a new paper-thin, translucent Rayzar HDTV broadcast antenna. It was on sale for $39, was able to obtain 35 digital channels. At just over a 0.6" thick, this flat antenna can be mounted on internal vehicle windows, making it ideal for tuning in locally broadcast channels up to 25 miles away. - http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/winegard-rayzar-indoor-hdtv-antenna/66709#sthash.SoM67Fsb.dpuf

RetiredLT

15. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

For me I don't bother with a TV, just use my laptop or my little side kick uses her portable DVD, if we really want to watch something. That's assuming I'm not dry camping. If its just for the weekend I don't bother bringing the laptop, not worth it.

16. 300Z

300Z Member

I don't go camping to watch TV, I go to get away from it and all the other electronic stuff.