Television in the PU

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by benfrench, Aug 6, 2009.

1. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

I know that this is a topic that can start a lot of issues so please just let me know if you bring one or not. I bring a TV with us because we like to watch the news in the morning and like to have the "entertainment" with us in case of inclimate weather. I recently switched to Directv and was wondering if anyone brings thier Directv or Dish with them on loner trips. Please let me know I am curious to see what different people bring with them.

2. Chewie48

Chewie48 New Member

3. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I don't but might in the future for the same reasons. Mom and Dad have a dish on the fiver to keep up with the weather, news and also for movies when the temps are high or low.

4. Mrs_P

Mrs_P Claremore, OK

I had DH put in a ciggy lighter plug in to bring our portable DVD player for the kids, on the not so good days or when mommy needs a break. [:D]

However, this past week I picked up one of the digital converter boxes for our 19 inch VCR TV. I am mostly concerned about the weather as well. We had some storms move in on our 11 day trip and I was concerned because I didn't know what was going on. I still don't know what type of antenna I need, but I am sure it will become trial and error before I find the one that works.

5. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

Can you let us know if the digital converter box works? We don't really want the TV, but we recently went on a nine day trip in the mountains and could only pick up one radio station that played the same songs on rotation every 1 1/2 hours! There was little news and no variety in the music selection. Luckily we had good weather, but had it been [{}=] raining, we probably wouldn't have been able to tolerate each other! LOL!

6. spotfan

spotfan Virginia

We keep a converter box in our pup and use it when we camp for more than two nights or if we are in an area where we know we have reception. It works great!

7. KC

KC Valdosta, GA

most georgia state parks have cable hookups, so sometimes we will take a small tv. usually, though, we only take our portable dvd player. we have a radio that stays in the camper for listening to music and the weather. we also have an assortment of board games, jigsaw puzzles, and playing cards stored in the camper for times when it is too hot or rainy to do outdoor activities. i never leave home without books and magazines, too.

8. Bearikens

Bearikens Starlight and firelight ... lighting my way

benfrench,

I bring a small television and will also bring our directv for longer trips as we like to check the weather forecast, sports scores, and my DW loves the classic movies shown on TCM in the evenings. In fact, I tried out directv (I have an extra satellite dish and short mast) on our last weekend trip and it worked well.

I do have one piece of advice to pass on concerning use of the satellite antenna in the campsite...you can purchase a tripod (about $50) to mount the antenna, but the tripod needs to be weighted to prevent it being blown over and to keep it from moving. As I don't have a tripod to bring I simply staked the short antenna mast (that came with the dish) to the ground using 4 Coleman heavy duty tent stakes and because the dish was low to the ground, wind was not a factor (we had a constant breeze and gusts over 10 mph). Directv also has an online tool to give you satellite coordinates (azimuth and elevation) when you input the zip code of your location. I also recommend that you use RG-6 coax to connect the antenna to your directv converter box. Make sure that your dish isn't obstructed by trees or another kind of solid object.

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

Haven't brought one in the past. We have games that stay in the PUP and I have considered bringing the portable DVD. I use my phone to get weather so I don't need for that either.

Based on the wide variety of answers, let us know what you decide to do.

10. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

We don't currently have one. But, the DW wants one so that she can watch football on the weekends! I will go along with that!

11. Chewie48

Chewie48 New Member

Holy Cow!!!! You have yourself a keeper!

12. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

We have one. The DD's don't usually like to hang out outside too much after dark so they retire to their bunk and watch a movie. We have a small older tv with a VCR in it. I was thinking about getting a digital converter for it. A lot of the CG's we go to have cable (usually better than I have at home which bugs me) so I haven't really needed the converter just yet. It would be nice to be able to see the weather in the places that don't but our walkie-talkies have the weather bands on them, so I am not completely in the dark.
    m

13. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We are taking one down to Bristol next week. Taking our old 19" and picked up a converter box. got the Philips HDTV MANT940 from Wally World and we will see what we get. We tried it at home and got some good clear network channels. Our home is not near a big city. If you want to see what is available, go to www.antennaweb.org and type in the zip code. It will tell you what stations are available and how far they are. Said we had three or four channels within 10 miles. Talked to the campground people and they said that is about what everyone gets with satellite and antenna.

14. Chewie48

Chewie48 New Member

We usually take our laptop with a USB TV Tuner. I think we are going to try out 19" LCD TV for our trip next weekend. Less setup.

Like others have said, it's really nice for the kids after dark (or raining) when they don't really want to hang outside. Kind of nice for DW and me as well because we get some one on one time by the fire. :)

15. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

I have a small tv in the PUP which rarely gets set up. If it does, the DVD player gets hooked up for the g'kids. If I want news/weather, I use my laptop and pick/choose what I want to know about.

Back in 06, I'd asked Directv about service and they told me I could take my 'bedroom' receiver and my spare dish camping but that I would be restricted to my current service (ie., east coast - home channels). Never did do it - as I don't watch tv.

16. ricko

ricko Member

We leave our old 9" TV/VCR combo in the PU full time - if we know we're going to a campground with cable we'll leave the dish at home. If not, or if we're staying put for a week we'll take it. I do like directv better as some of the cable we've encountered isn't very good.

My wife thinks I'm silly about fussing over it... until it starts raining.

Ricko

17. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I do not bring a television camping.

18. SCmomma

SCmomma New Member

i don't watch alot of tv myself and don't feel any urgent need to bring a tv along while camping but i admit i just bought a portable DVD player (off a friend of mine who needed some money) and the thought did cross my mind to bring it along to occupy my daughter in the car ride up there and possibly during inclement weather.........but i am resisting the idea for now.........SCmomma

19. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

We have a 26" TV in ours. We use it for our astro photography & star party work at night and to watch a movie or two at times during the day while resting getting ready for the evening events. We also have a dish we take at times so the wife can get here local news. works really good.

Here is a link to the electronic stuff

20. justforfun

justforfun Just Havin Fun

I keep a small one with a converter box.
    I like to watch the news as others have said.
    In the fall it is great for college football.
    Also bring a laptop for wifi...Hulu is great to pass time in the rain.
    Daryl