Television

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by lawone, Sep 24, 2017.

1. lawone

lawone New Member

We camp but also love college football! Do I have to get a 12v television or does that only matter if your not connected to shore power?

2. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Getting a 12V TV SET is neat but you can also get 150WATT PURE SINE WAVE POWER Inverter as well to run you home entertainment items... I think a good HDTV LCD TVset will draw around 50-60WATTS DC Current at 12.3 VDC using an optional Power Inverter.
    [​IMG]
    I started out with a 150W Inverter and right away I found a couple of more things that we wanted to run and finally got one of the AIMS 600WATT PURE SINE WAVE Inverter from AMAZON for $159... This was a few years back and I think they are even cheaper now. I very seldom use more than 300Watts from the 600WATT Inverter but the price was right for us and having more power available is neat to have sometimes...

To use all of the 600WATTS you will need extra batteries to operate the 120VAC items from the Inverter... 300WATTS will demand around 25AMPS DC Current... 600WATTS will demand around 50 AMPS DC CURRENT... That will run down a single 85-100AH Battery pretty quick Like I said I run all of the neat items that we have except the Air Conditioner and high wattage microwave and got away with my three 85AH 12V Interstate Batteries (255 AH Capacity) running around 25 amps DC Draw between 6PM and 11PM each day plus the other low drain parasitic drains. This would drain my batteries down to their 50% charge state by 8AM the next morning. Then I run my 2KW Generator running my on-board PD9260C Converter to recharge my battery bank back up to its 90% charge state to do this this all over again for the next day/night run off my batteries. Been doing this since early 2009. My three 85AH batteries just started failing on me last season so I am still trying to scrap up monies to make even a larger battery bank...

This is what works good for us but as always others may find something different... Good or Bad...

We are RV CAMPERS and not usually doing to much around with the camper during the day. Only between 6PM and lights off at 10-11PM are we around the camper.

We also run into the problem of using our generator at some locations... Lots of different generator run time restrictions here on the EAST SIDE of the US where we usually end up camping... Got to plan for those times when camping...

Watching FOOTBALL games on public TV stations at different locations gives me a headache as I probably will not get to see the team I want to see. Need a game pass I guess but then you may have to get a good internet to watch it on. Can you always get Internet everywhere you at will then be the other problem...

Getting harder to stay ahead of the game it seems hehe...

Probably requires SAT TV hookup to be able to watch the teams you want to watch...

With Internet I can usually find a down stream of it but then you run into all of the MALWARE SCAMS and such. It's very dangerous to search the Internet these days it seems... Got to watch where you click hehe...

With a GAME PASS you can log into NFL on the internet and watch your team playing I reckon... More $$$

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  3. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

... oops

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

If you're connected to shore power you can use any TV you can carry.

5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

If you aren't, there are several 12v tvs on Amazon. Prices range from 75 to 200 dollars.

6. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

I plan to pickup a 12v TV with digital tuner before our FL trip in Jan. Lots of standard 110v AC TVs have converter bricks that convert to 12v DC, and therefore can be used with a 12v connection/adaptor, without having to waste power with an inverter.

I'll use a bluetooth Bose Mini-SoundLink for sound, and stream broadcasts via mirroring off of my iPhone (have unlimited data plan).

I haven't done much shopping around but if anyone has any suggestions on specific models.... We don't spend much time in the camper, but might be nice to watch something occasionally.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  7. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

On our annual family reunion camping trips, my family started to watch the occasional movie while seated next to the fire. I've tried different versions each year, but this year was by far the best. I have an unlimited Verizon plan because of my work, so we download family-friendly movies that (we hope) everyone will like. I have a Moto-Z phone and bought the projector mod for it not long after. It shoots up to a 72in screen in HD, and much bigger if you don't mind a slightly degraded pic. I've removed the awning from the side of my Pup and attached a pull-down screen in its place. I mod'd the Baja by adding a 2nd pair of speakers to the factory radio and also added Bluetooth. I have some good 6x9 speakers in box that mount under the frame and are protected from weather. They store inside when not in use. Since we primarily boondock, I don't have to worry about offending neighbors with the noise and extra light. If you have a good internet signal where you camp, you could likely also get the sports apps to broadcast your games, or the apps from NBC/ABC/Fox, etc.

8. KJ Knowles

KJ Knowles Member

I have a 24" 12 Volt Supersonic (SC-2411) that works well enough for us on those occasions we take a television. Don't believe the "1080P" resolution listed in the description. It accepts, but downsamples 1080 resolution input signals. Native resolution is 720P (1366 x 768), but that is fine for a small set and it is for camping, after all! [;)] They also make several smaller and one larger (32") version.

https://www.amazon.com/Supersonic-W...sr=8-5&keywords=supersonic+12+volt+television

Maximum power consumption is listed as 48 Watts on the spec sheet, but ours measures around 35 Watts in normal use. Not a power hog.

Blackripley and nhlakes like this.
  9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

If you are going to be plugged in to 110 V AC then the TV will work fine as long as you have an antenna hooked to it..