Televisions while camping?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by c-mans willi, Mar 21, 2010.

Do you think televisions in the PUP are a must?

1. Never! It's all about nature for petesake!

107 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. Well... only for baseball, NASCAR, football, etc. But that's it!

36 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. If the kids are with us it's okay.

65 vote(s)
    24.6%
  4. Always! It's one of our basic camping essentials.

39 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Heck! We bring our DirecTV/Dish Network!

17 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. c-mans willi

c-mans willi New Member

I never really thought about television while camping. Now that I have kids who want to watch it, the question is officially on the table. What do you think?

2. Bearikens

Bearikens Starlight and firelight ... lighting my way

This is one subject that contains many strong feelings - pro and con. I think whatever works for your situation is the best solution. Some campers want NOTHING to do with technology while camping and others simply want to remain connected (but not tied) to the outside world. I personally like to have those connections to check the weather, news, and sports at the end of the day. Occasionally, we will watch special events (sports playoffs or championship) while camping. It's up to you to decide.

3. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

I keep one in the camper and I like to think of a television as like an electric can opener or a microwave oven......not a necessity, but nice to have when you want it.

4. Full Circle

Full Circle Greely, Ontario, Canada

No to a TV but we do bring a portable DVD player for dd. Mostly for driving but we've used it when some quiet time is warranted...

5. KateTheKamper

KateTheKamper Member

I've never, ever had a television when I camped but last year brought the laptop for my (then) 3 year old grandson to watch movies before he went to bed. Worked like a charm, too, BTW!

That being said, I wouldn't mind having access to TV while camping and considered my options last year after I bought the PUP. Haven't done anything about it...yet! [8D]

6. Mountainbikecop

Mountainbikecop Death Smiles At Everyone -- Marines Smile Back"

my cell phone won't work where i camp. Never wanted a TV. I'm camping to get away from TV. Phone, puter goes but just to down load pic's on.

7. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

We purchased this 7" digital rechargeable hand held back in November from Radio Shack. Didn't buy it specifically for camping but also for emergency situations like say a hurricane which occurs every so often. Our other small battery operated tv was obsolete since the digital change over and the picture on this set up is great. As stated it is nice to check out the weather, my football, and such....
    [​IMG]

8. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

W have a 13 inch tv DVD combo. We don't use it to get broadcast TV of any kind. We do use it to watch movies on at night for the kid to help him unwind and go to sleep. It is also nice when we are stuck inside due to weather.

Each to their own, but unless I was a full time RV'er I just can't see having a satellite deal or anything like that.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Each to his/her own but I've never had one and and never will.

10. Yar

Yar Garland, TX

I voted for if the kids were along but I was talking about the grandkids. Even then we don't use a television but have the lap top for videos just before bedtime. They are usually asleep before their movie ends.

11. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

We bring a TV and DVD player to watch movies if the weather is bad. We like to play board games so don't use it much.

12. Gumbias

Gumbias New Member

Absolutely not. I do bring the Laptop with a few movies on it in case of rain but that is it! If I want to watch TV I would say home, and as far as the kids they already watch too much TV. There is a ton of stuff for the kids to do beside TV.

13. EV2

EV2 Member

Use it at night with the sleep timer to drown out the neighbors dogs.

14. daddyzgrl1

daddyzgrl1 I'd rather be camping!!!

I have a T.V. that stays in the pup, I basically use it for the weather channel at the beach and then to go to sleep at night. It helps to drown out the noises that would keep my fur child up all night. :)

15. Island Ranger

Island Ranger New Member

We take a TV as the DW will not go without her TV soaps for anyone, as in the year BC (Before Coronation Street) there was nothing [LOL] [LOL]

16. emssmiley2002

emssmiley2002 Florence,Ms

We bought a DVD combo TV set that we attach to the headrest of the truck so that the twins (they are 4) can watch TV while we travel. Once at the campsite, I than put them in the PUP and the twins watch it after its time for bed, usually around 9-10PM. The twins than promptly fall asleep, since they have been outside playing like a bunch of screaming Comanches!

17. Racebear

Racebear New Member

No t.v. but I like to have a radio to listen to the race and for weather.

18. jenoble99

jenoble99 New Member

We have a small 4" b & W TV/radio combo that my parents bought at a flea market years ago. My mom had to have a tv even camping. I commandeered it when they quit camping. We mostly use it for the radio, we have watched TV one time. We went camping and there was a fire ban, so we spent the evening watching football. I will also find a local station in the case of severe weather to see exactly what is going on. It also has a built in weather radio so it's handy for that as well.

19. hanson1522

hanson1522 Belleville, IL

We don't have one when camping because we watch it enough at home! That being said, it might come in handy for weather watching purposes. Might be nice to know that there's a tornado warning.....

Portable DVD players do come in handy when it's nasty out and the kids are driving you crazy. (PUPs get really small really quick when it rains...LOL) Other than that...I say leave 'em home! [:D]

20. warwgn3

warwgn3 Car Shows are 2nd only to Camping!

I use a 12" zenith black and white tv with rabbit ears, and manual turn dial knob tuners. No there's no remote! you actually have to get off your butt, walk up to the tv and change the channel yourself. very unheard of in this age.

[​IMG]

I wasn't sure what to vote, as I only use the tv when I'm ready for bed, or when the weather is crappy. I don't watch alot of tv at home, because of my work schedule sucks, and I don't camp "to get away from tv".