Televisions while camping?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by c-mans willi, Mar 21, 2010.

Do you think televisions in the PUP are a must?

1. Never! It's all about nature for petesake!

107 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. Well... only for baseball, NASCAR, football, etc. But that's it!

36 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. If the kids are with us it's okay.

65 vote(s)
    24.6%
  4. Always! It's one of our basic camping essentials.

39 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Heck! We bring our DirecTV/Dish Network!

17 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

The only way I can get the wife to camp with me is to bring my Directv so she won't miss her HGTV and Regis.

Myself, I just enjoy getting away from it all but I kinda like have the wife around with me. She can be alot more fun than the dog.

2. NY G-Men Fan

NY G-Men Fan New Member

I bring the laptop for some movies for the kids. Though, I have to admit I wouldn't mind a tv to watch football if I'm out during the NFL season. But, most of the time I would say no to the tv.

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

I go camping to get away. Why would I want to bring a television with me?

4. Busia

Busia New Member

I bring the laptop for movies as well, but we only pull that out if the weather is bad and we're stuck in the camper. Otherwise it stays locked in the vehicle and we usually never use it. Just a back up- with kids you always have to have a Plan B!!

5. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

I know people define camping different ways, and I always think folks should camp in whatever way they enjoy. I really like to watch the news and a little TV before I go to bed. Many places I camp I cannot get any reception with the new digital TV. I used to be able to get a signal before everything went digital. Regardless, we do have a TV in the popup. The family went camping the past weekend. We spent the entire day on Friday really enjoying it. From early morning until lat that night we were out playing and just enjoying nature. I washed the last supper dish about 8:30 and all was cleaned up. At that point, we all went in has a family and watched a movie that my son had brought. It was a great way to finish out the evening. Some folks may not enjoy that on a campout, but other might. Believe it or not, I rarely watch at movie, or for that matter, much TV at all when I am home. So, for me, to watch a movie as a family, it works great for a camping trip and I don’t think anyone should knock what works for someone else. Other nights, we may do a campfire and not watch any TV.

I often camp alone, and really like to take a movie then too, so the TV thing just seems to work for me.

6. TwoHappyCampers

TwoHappyCampers New Member

No T.V. for us, we didn't have it at home for a few years and didn't really miss it.

7. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Had a little 7" AC/DC portable that I kept around the house and put it into the camper after 9/11. Figured if anything came up that was of huge importance would have something just in case and that's in addition to a little portable/battery operated AM/Fm radio. Of course the little t.v. is of no use now since it's geared for analog. Did watch a few things on the many trips on the road, usually the news or some special programing. One time coming back from Michigan got caught in a real bad rainstorm and pulled off at an Ohio S/P (St. Mary's) and when the rain let up a tad, set the camper up real fast. Later, after supper, high and dry, a steady rain coming down, got the telly out to check the evening news and weather and got crystal clear reception and spent the evening watching t.v.!

It's shame to toss the little thing away ~ anyone want a little orphaned t.v.?

8. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

No television, no cell phone, no computer for us. Mostly I'd rather take a nap or go fishing, or anything else.
    MR

9. bflentje

bflentje Member

You're missing an option in your poll. Need.. ONLY use TV with the DVD player to settle down out of control little ones in the evening.

10. c-mans willi

c-mans willi New Member

True that. Seems to be a common kiddie-settling technique.

11. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

Just an observation:

It strikes me as funny almost every time this subject comes up we have people who say..."No TV, never, no way, no how, not in any form,.......but I do bring the laptop along to play movies on."

Don't get me wrong. I could care less what anyone chooses to do. It is their camper, their time, etc.

When it comes to TV though there is TV as in watching broadcast/cable/satellite and there is TV as in having a TV to watch movies (DVD's) on.

Granted I do not understand "campers" who the first thing they do when they park their rigs is to set up the sat dish and then spend all "weekend" sitting inside watching TV, but like I said to each their own.

12. jbarz73

jbarz73 New Member

We let the boys run around with a kick-ball or frisbee while we setup. We only use the DVD player in the TV (tow vehicle) if we are waiting out a bad thunderstorm. Then again, we usually go for a muddy drive if that happens. [;)]

13. mike1wade

mike1wade Want to Dark Side

Some of you folks make it sound so bad. If you have a disabled child who can only go a short distance outside, but loves camping and being with the family., well, guess what!!!! I like having it to check the news and weather, and rainy day entertainment. I can do without it, but, under the circumstances,,,,,,,

14. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

Thought about it for weather radar, news or rainy days. Since we dry camp we have been using the battery powered laptop for DVDs for those rainy evenings or when we don't have a fire to sit around. We would really need to invest more into a serviced site and likely would not have weather radar anyway without some type of cable connection or satelite dish

So our reasons for acquiring and taking one did not outweigh the costs - at least not yet.

15. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

I have a 19 inch LCD that I picked up at Sears was a floor model (for the shortest of times) and we use it when we go camping where cable is available. Most times it is the Laptop as most State Parks do not have cable TV. It does help in bad weather [{}=] and bedtime [SNZ] with an 8 yr old daughter. Sometimes she is to busy and tired it never gets turned on.

16. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

We have a container that we take camping with us....it is our electronics box. It has 19" LCD TV, saellitet converter box, DVD player and PS2 video game console. We set the TV and DVD player up and watch a movie at night. We take a satellite dish with us and have been successful in setting it up at about 50% of the time. We have the video game for when it rains. We take these items but only for when we cannot be outside

17. Big Dawg

Big Dawg New Member

We have a Television with ours, we use it at night to watch the news, or unwind or fall asleep with a movie. It's also nice to have around in case it rains and there is nothing else to do. I say it's all about what makes your trip relaxing for you. We look at our trips as family time, and time to get away from the hustle of our lives.

18. c-mans willi

c-mans willi New Member

Mike, I'm sorry if it sounded like I was criticizing. Personally, I bring a TV/DVD for the benefit of the entire campground. Sometimes a little Spongebob goes a long way when your 3-year old doesn't understand why you can't go swimming in a lightning storm at 10:00 at night. Or why marshmallows aren't a breakfast food. And no, you can't go visit that man who looks like Santa in space #22. Or, well, you get the idea.

19. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I take my laptop and a usb tv tuner... But I can count on one hand the number of times I have used it.

20. CANTget RIGHT

CANTget RIGHT New Member

we have one in camper but really never use unless my son or his brother comes along