Televisions while camping?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by c-mans willi, Mar 21, 2010.

Do you think televisions in the PUP are a must?

1. Never! It's all about nature for petesake!

107 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. Well... only for baseball, NASCAR, football, etc. But that's it!

36 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. If the kids are with us it's okay.

65 vote(s)
    24.6%
  4. Always! It's one of our basic camping essentials.

39 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Heck! We bring our DirecTV/Dish Network!

17 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. dmaerz

dmaerz New Member

We leave the TV, DVD, and DS at home and bring games, cards, and the radio. We have game night each evening and enjoy marshmallows around the campfire. [CP]

2. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

My wife and I have a DVD player we take along and our Grandson (6 yrs old) will watch movies when it's raining or he'll start watch something at night before falling asleep.

As for my wife and I We wouldn't watch it or a TV. We find it more enjoyable to watch the camp fire

3. florida_boy

florida_boy Happy trails y'all!

I too purchased a 7" portable digital t.v. to take along to the campgrounds. With its self-contained rabbit ear antenna, it only picked up 1 or 2 channels. Yes, if a hurricane was coming or that sort of emergency, I could receive real-time info, and , I am sure the c/ground would be abuzz with that kind of news. This was not satisfactory to this old electronics geek, so, I purchased a laptop with a digital tuner/antenna....this will be MUCH better...NOT! O.K. I have to admit that I was 10 shakes left of nowhere Florida(Lake Kissimmee State Park)... I got NO reception there at all. To add insult to injury, there was not one person with a wi-fi link. None the less it was a good time camping ... thats always the bottom line!!! Happy camping y'all!

4. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I voted no based on my personal opinion.

Linda wants to go camping with me.
    She likes to watch movies.
    I like Linda.
    The TV/DVD is going [;)] [:D]

For a trip or two...

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Hey Twisty, I hear ya!! [;)]

My parents just offered us a small flat panel TV they used to have in their kitchen, I turned them down. We just got back from an 8 day trip and it was really nice not watching TV!

We do bring a portable DVD player to watch a movie before bed. Out of the 7 nights we were camping we only watched 1 movie (City Slickers).

6. Janetmac

Janetmac Camping is a lifestlye and a hobby.

I had voted no because I feel like we can watch Tv at home. When we camp it is all about family time. With out the TV the kids learned to widdel wood and take nature walks, we all play cards and sit around the campfire. That way it is all of our down time to catch up on each other and meet new people. [CP].

7. Busia

Busia New Member

We bring a dvd player for backup. If it's a cruddy, rainy day, or if my youngest gets in a funk and isn't happy about anything- we'll break out the movies. Or sometimes at bedtime to help them wind down.

8. Pam51

Pam51 New Member

We've never brought one before, but DH and I are going on a longer trip next month. I'm taking the laptop and TV tuner - not sure if I'll be able to get a channel or not. Just want it for the news - long time to go without knowing what's going on in the world. Otherwise, my DVR at home can record anything I really want to watch when we get back.

9. bjjohnstone

bjjohnstone New Member

We take a 19" TV and DVD player in our camper. We usually just use it to watch a movie when we go to bed at night or if the weather is bad. We aren't usually able to bring in more than 1 or 2 channels at the campgrounds anyway, so it doesn't really get used for anything more than the occasional DVD watching. If the grandkids come along, it is handy to pop in a movie to entertain them when it's raining outside or to help them wind down before sleeping. I agree that camping means different things to different people. I love to get outside and enjoy the campfire, the sounds of nature, taking walks and exploring. The only time I feel complete peacefulness is while I'm camping. But, sometimes Mother Nature doesn't cooperate, and sometimes my DH and I just like to go to bed and watch a movie. Even that is more relaxing while camping!

10. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Odd, for as much as I watch TV at home, I do not miss it when we camp. We camp without hookups.

11. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

I have 2 19" screens in the PUP and 2 7". The 19" are attached to the laptop which has a tuner card and internet access. The 7" are portable DVD in the TV. The PC is along because I wanted larger screens for rainy day movies and I had an older laptop.The internet access is through the cell phone and in most cases pretty slow but I can check email daily.The tuner card was free and while it doesn't work the best I can usually get a couple channels so I can catch the local weather forecast.

12. northernmum

northernmum just starting out!

We won't be adding one. My laptop has a dead battery (which makes it a bit of a faux-laptop) so that's out. Where we are going to camp, there won't be cable. Our tv has a built in dvd player which we use with the children for longer trips (over 2 hours), so that is a backup for super bad weather though. I just don't plan to use it. The family and I just got back from a week at church summer camp, and we didn't even use an ipod while we were gone. Too much conversing with others [;)]

13. Rustyk

Rustyk New Member

Hell Yeh

14. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Don't forget the A/C cover!

We don't bring a "television". However, we do bring a laptop. It has a tuner card, and I usually load it with images of a few DVDs from home, plus a mix of MP3s we like. For the most part, it just plays music throughout the day. But if the weather gets bad, or if we're up late and not ready to sleep yet, we'll watch a movie or some TV if we're picking up some good digital signals. But mostly, it's just there to play music... around 200 songs on random, or as a backup when we're stuck inside.

15. cholt69

cholt69 New Member

After tent camping for several years I understand the desire to get away from it all......... but since graduating to a pup I found that when "quiet hours" begin its nice to settle down in the pup and snuggle up to the wife...watch the boob tube for a few hours and relax........ nothing wrong with having the best of both worlds!!! (just turn off the D phone!!!!!!!)

16. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

We have one in the camper along with a DVD player its for weather news and before bedtime to wine down

17. sehuff903

sehuff903 1985 Palomino MXL

The only reason I even bring a laptop with me is for geocaching and park & trail maps I can load to my GPS or print out. The DGKs get enough of the idiot box at home as far as I'm concerned. I do keep an AM/FM radio and NOAA radio for news and weather but that is the only contact I want with the everyday world when I am trying to get away from the everyday world.

18. cholt69

cholt69 New Member

Sehuff, watch something that isn't dealing with the everyday world......... something that'll give you reason to nibble on sweetie's ear........ I'm sure it will give you a new perspective on the boob tube!

19. sehuff903

sehuff903 1985 Palomino MXL

Don't really need a reason to nibble on sweetie's ear, her brushing up against me is usually enough. I am after all a man. There is no need for a boob tube when the call of nature beckons, as far as DW and I are concerned.

20. wolfcat1

wolfcat1 New Member

We recently vacationed a week in Colorado. A storm blew in one night, rained ALL the next day...We watched movies, local weather etc..made the day pass...wolfie