Televisions while camping?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by c-mans willi, Mar 21, 2010.

Do you think televisions in the PUP are a must?

1. Never! It's all about nature for petesake!

107 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. Well... only for baseball, NASCAR, football, etc. But that's it!

36 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. If the kids are with us it's okay.

65 vote(s)
    24.6%
  4. Always! It's one of our basic camping essentials.

39 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Heck! We bring our DirecTV/Dish Network!

17 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. 4mula1fan

4mula1fan New Member

We kept one in the camper, but since the need of a converter box and all that crap, the little tv went in a yardsale...Watching the campfire is better than tv. When it's rainy, [RTM] [SNZ] [}:)] [:)O]...

2. GetOutSide

GetOutSide Let's go get lost...

I was happy to see the poll results that 60% preferred nature. Honestly I can't stand hearing a TV - for some reason it bothers me more than music - and I do sometimes listen to music. It's one of the reasons I prefer to go off on my own so I don't bother anyone. But last time out, I had cell coverage (normally I don't and I love that) so wouldn't you know it on Sunday, all the Sunday Ticket games were right there on my Droid... I'm sure I'll be toting around a bigscreen before long. [:D]

3. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

We had the football game broadcast on the side of the PU at the Mystic Rally. There is a time and a place for TV. I don't turn it on a lot, my DW likes to have it. Since it's there I watch it if I can't be outside, or for football....

4. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

I don't watch much television, but have kept a small TV in the camper for the g-kids so they can watch videos before bed or during yucky days. In Sept., I bought a new television (small flatscreen with the DVD player) and have used it several times. I did get a tri-pod and have a mast, and an antenna, so might start doing the channel research before a camping trip and see if I can get "free tv". Not a high priority with me though.

5. GoodTexN

GoodTexN New Member

A television is a necessary electronics accessory for us on a cold rainy outing. We have a toddler that can only be pacified by watching cartoon episodes from PlayHouse Disney and the like. Otherwise, on good-weather days we can find tons of things to keep him occupied. I purchased a USB cable TV tuner that plugs into my laptop for around $40. It allows you to plug cable or an antenna directly into the computer. My laptop now serves many purposes: internet, music, and television.

6. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

TV? No way! Dont we get enough of it already? I barely watch one at home. However, a Laptop with a few Netflix DVDs checked out prior to the trip isnt such a bad thing. Watching a flick curled up in the bunk all cozy with a glass of wine. HEAVEN on a stick.

Happy Towing!

7. 14erfam

14erfam Member

No. We can do that at home.

8. agranger

agranger New Member

The last place I stayed, I had decent 3G coverage on my iPhone. I was able to fire-up Netflix and the wife and I watched a movie, snuggled into a double-sized sleeping bag. I'm generally a 'NO TV' guy when camping... that's my time to get away from all of the noise in my day-to-day life, but that moment watching the movie together, sharing the small screen, was a lot of fun.

9. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

Me? No. But if that's your kick, who am I to say no to that? I'll razz the hell outta ya, though. (CLIFF!)

10. JayAmyJamy

JayAmyJamy New Member

Just bought a portable TV w/built in tuner. I figured we could always use it for emergencies; especially considering the price today at http://1saleaday.com/ ($29.99).

I'm assuming the A/V jacks are input so that we can watch movies. I could care less about TV reception. But at that price, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to watch the abundance of Spanish stations available whilst out in the great wilderness.

11. SkamperCampers

SkamperCampers New Member

I can't imagine watch TV while camping. To each his own, but it is definitely not for me.

12. JayAmyJamy

JayAmyJamy New Member

Fixed what I meant to say

13. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

Just like the DVD player in the tow vehicle. Nothing stops whining and fussing quite like a kid-oriented tv show or movie. This is especially true when they are tired and cranky. Or it rains and they tire of chess and board games.

14. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

LOL...I like the poll with 78% saying it is about nature which I agree but you are also camping in a PUP...why not go all out and just tent camp?

We bring a television for use at night right before going to bed...don't watch it during the day usually unless for weather update if looking bad.

15. jenoble99

jenoble99 New Member

In the 7 years my wife and I have been camping together we have watched TV while camping one time. There was a fire ban our first night at a state park. It was late fall so it got dark very early. We were tent campers at that time, so to pass the time we broke out the tv and watched for a couple of hours. We still take that TV as it's also an am/fm radio, flashlight, wx radio, and a built in fluorescent light so it's handy to have even if we don't use the TV. We couldn't watch the TV now if we wanted to due to needing the converter box.

16. kingsrider

kingsrider New Member

For those campers out there who feel a TV is inappropriate while camping, I hear you. But after the campfire and smors, when you have your wife and 2 little girls cuddled up with you in one bunk-end and your watching their favorite movie? The closeness is awesome... [:D]

Plus last year I had to listen to NFL playoff game on the radio [:(O] [:(!]

17. SunnyD

SunnyD New Member

The thought of a TV while camping has never even crossed my mind so I voted no. I might bring along the laptop for weather updates or something (but I haven't in the past when tent camping). We don't have fancy cell phones so the laptop would probably be helpful to check the radar but then again that won't work unless there is wifi and I'm sure most campsites don't have wifi. So in the end I guess a good ol radio would work best.

[2C]

18. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

To me, it's not a must, but I do like to bring it because I'm somewhat a tv hound. It's not like I have it going the whole time, in fact, I hardly use it at all. Sometimes I'll watch a movie, sometimes I won't.
    I do prefer to get the family together and play some board games, sit around the campfire, make smores....you know, all that camping stuff.

19. riverwalker

riverwalker New Member

We have a small dvd player with screen for the kids , mostly used for bed time as they would rather play in the puddles when it rains

20. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

We purchased a new 19" LED flat panel television we bring with us. We store it in one ofthe plastic storage container with a lid and slide it in the PUP right before heading out. Has a USB port and with a 8GB jump drive I have downloaded our favorite music and pick out a couple of digital movies and we are good to go! Don't need the DVD player...just the television and the jump drive.