Televisions while camping?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by c-mans willi, Mar 21, 2010.

Do you think televisions in the PUP are a must?

1. Never! It's all about nature for petesake!

107 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. Well... only for baseball, NASCAR, football, etc. But that's it!

36 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. If the kids are with us it's okay.

65 vote(s)
    24.6%
  4. Always! It's one of our basic camping essentials.

39 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Heck! We bring our DirecTV/Dish Network!

17 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

To me, the kids won't have fond memories of watching TV while camping but will (hopefully) of playing games and doing other family activites on rainy days. Granted, our children are still too little for games and our 3 yr old never watches tv at home either. If the weather is looking suspect we look for other activites in town such as museums and historical sites. We are however prepared to allow occasional movies in the car (at appropriate non-scenic times) on long trips.

2. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

We don't camp and sit in front of the television. Seems like most think it is all or nothing. Needs to be a balance. We have no kids at home and we only watch the television right before bed.

3. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

We do bring along a small portable DVD player for occasional movie use, but we also have games for nights and rainy days, as well as books.

We don't really want TV and where we camp reception would be lousy anyway.

4. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Never! It's camping for Pete's sake. Why even bother to leave the house if you're going to replicate living in the city?

Instead, we enjoy sitting around, looking at the stars, relaxing with a decent book, sharing a cocktail or two, and planning some more camping trips ahead.

5. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

TV with built in DVD player when it rains outside and we can't enjoy the evening outside.

JJ

6. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

I say never but the DW disagrees so the portable DVD player goes along in case she "needs" to watch a movie before [SNZ]

7. br9

br9 Member

We bought a 24 inch led. For the new trailer. I like to watch my cartoons before bed. And my news in the morning.

8. 4mula1fan

4mula1fan New Member

With all these dang storms going on, it will for sure go this time. It will be nice for a heads up...

9. suprz

suprz may you never doubt yourself....

Ive had the PUP for 4 years, and last Aug Gettysburg trip was the first time we brought a small TV, I have always had 100 ft of cable in the dinette seat, but this was our first real long trip and it was ok to watch some local news before bed. would we ever use it again??? doubt it

10. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

I voted no TV, but we do bring along a TV that has a built-in DVD player that we use for a family late-night movie sometimes. Never use it as a TV.

11. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

well we have a tv in the pup but since they went to digital signals mostly places we camp there is no channels an get pretty much just takes up room now i am thinking of getting a laptop to watch movies.

12. Dust Devil

Dust Devil Member

Nope. No way. I've got the smart phone for checking weather/news when there is a signal and a radio with the wx channel when there isn't. That's bonding time with my son for now, and a time to listen to the trees and animals, enjoy the campfire and see the stars you can't see (or bother to look at) when home. A major part of why I go camping is to get away from all the technology and to show my son he can live without it and still enjoy himself. Had my laptop last year with us, but didn't get it out until we got to the family get-together expressly so he wouldn't want to use it. This year I'll probably have to leave it at home, otherwise he'll disappear into watching movies/playing games.

13. real lite virgin

real lite virgin Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab

We have a usb tuner for the lap top to get the news before bed. Usually download some movies to take with us in case of bad weather. And of course DW needs her Coronation Street fix on Sunday mornings

Rob

14. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

The only time we watch TV while camping is when we want to watch it. I promise.

Seems my kids have a shorter attention span than some others, because they can only sit and marvel at nature for so long before they start bugging each other.

We don't have the TV up loud, so if you are bothered by TV in a campground, (and yes we only camp in campgrounds for now) you won't have to be bothered by ours.

15. mommabear

mommabear New Member

the thought had crossed my mind, but sensibility won out. Yeah we will have a laptop for movies IF the weather sucks, but thats it. we like the fact that when camping we play cards,and boggle,and make crafts.