televison

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by bklyncat58, Mar 26, 2013.

1. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

We bring a small hi-def flat screen connected via HDMI to a dedicated laptop server and LAN hard drive. If our roof wi-fi repeater system can bring in a signal we have tons of internet T.V. if wanted. If no wi-fi we have the off air HD antenna for any local news, weather etc. and the LAN drive has about a 900 gig of movies on it. We don't watch a lot of T.V. though, mostly evening background noise when we are settling down to sleep. No pics other than the outside antennas.

2. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

We do back yard movies during summer with a 12 foot inflatable, projector, and sound system..I thought bout doing the same at a camp ground, I just didn't know how people would take to it. Ever any issues??

3. Keithsbabe

Keithsbabe New Member

We had some very negative experiences with this, in a state park campground. Not only did they last movies all night, they had video game tournaments during the day. It was very loud, very bright at night, and very annoying. I understand a tv in a camper; I don't understand it outside at all. We camp to get away from noise and such...

Just my [2C] :)

4. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

We did the big screen movie at a county campground in Michigan. We had a big enough group where we had one entire loop and the end of the campground. We also invited all of the neighbors and watched a family friendly movie. We did one movie and were done prior to quiet time.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I had a horrible experience with a guy who did outdoor movie projection in a campground. He had a portable 12' screen and used a generator to run a digital projector and amplifier for his movie. The ******* started a two-hour movie an hour before quiet time began and blasted everyone with it. That was the single most obnoxious, rude thing I've ever seen in a campground. He thought it was really cool to have this setup and didn't care that some folks came to the CG to enjoy nature instead of a movie they could see at home.

6. azbirddog42

azbirddog42 Bullhead City, Arizona

We have a 21 in. Flat-screen and I bring a Direct T V box and
    use the Vu-Qube and get all the same stations I get at home.
    [​IMG]

7. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

My Starcraft came with the "space shelf" built on the end of the big bed, just over the tongue of the trailer. This makes it rather convenient to plug in my laptop to the battery without running cords throughout all of the trailer. My wife and daughter usually stay home, so its just me and my two boys (11 & 7). We'll share the big bunk watching movies at night, then I'll move them to their beds after the show. Gotta love spending quality time with them. Nothing better than having your kids snuggle into you at the end of the day!

8. xshield

xshield New Member

We bring a laptop We tried the tv but it took up too much room at least for our set up. I convert all my movies using Xilisoft. That way I can carry many dozens of moves/shows and play them on any portable media device. Ipad, Ipod, phones, Laptops...etc. I have a laptop loaded with at least 250 movies and videos...keeps the kids busy during those rainy days. I can't the only one that rain clouds follow when I hook up the pup? :)

9. cma7777

cma7777 Member

What is Xilisoft? Special setup?

10. TheBerrys

TheBerrys 1977 Palomino in Albuquerque, NM

11. xshield

xshield New Member

Sorry cma7777 I should have provided more info. It's an amazing package. If you're into converting movies it's the best imo.

12. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

In all reality I tore out the dinette to put in a TV stand...
    Really just wanted the space and added more space to put stuff, it also folds down back into the bed so I didn't lose sleeping area.

Cheap TV since its a PUP and I have it open allot per year.

This is a picture shortly after completion last year.
    [​IMG]

I basically need a TV to fall asleep anyways.

13. xshield

xshield New Member

That's a really cool mod. I would never leave the camper if I did the to mine. :)

14. backwoodsmama

backwoodsmama New Member

We are looking into buying a small tv with dvd player in it. I would like to be able to get local channels, as well, for weather and such. We didn't bring anything like that with us last season. But, DS is 2, and sometimes that helps to get him to fall asleep at night or at nap time. So, we may get a small one for those times and a rainy day. We are more into being outside than being inside watching tv. We can stay home and do that, right? But, for our little guy, we may have to watch some cartoons to get him to settle.

15. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

never brought a TV, have used the laptop to watch a movie.

16. Keithsbabe

Keithsbabe New Member

We are, too. My husband found one at Sams Club we might go get. We do prefer being outside, but have a few weeklong trips planned for this year. Having that in our pocket, so to speak, might go a long way with our kiddo. It would help if it rains or to keep him calm and in the pup after dark (if necessary). I also would like it for weather related emergencies, but I lean more toward a radio for that. I love summer because we play outside all day and I don't feel guilty about a Veggie Tales or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse before bed :). Same goes for camping!