Tell me about camping in Tennessee.

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by bheff, Apr 22, 2020.

1. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

We are doing our research on a new camping destination...
    Beach trip has been booked but my son wants something different. It'll be me, a 14 year old and 4 year old.
    Just trying to find a new neat place to explore and Tennesee came to mind. Open to different experiences but I must have water and electricity at the site.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We stayed at Cedars of Lebanon a few years ago.. lots to do within the campground.. and not too far from Nashville..

bheff likes this.
  3. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Our scout troop camped in TN last year on the way to a whitewater trek. I think it was June/July. At the time they complained about really high humidity, and the mosquitoes and other biting insects were at higher concentrations than they have seen elsewhere. Had one scout that got bit so bad she was on a steady diet of Benadryl for a couple days to keep the itching down.

4. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

East Tennessee has several options. Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area is chocked full of camping options. No shortage of hiking trails in the National Park, plus touristy stuff in town. Another option would be Chattanooga. It's a great city, Aquarium, Rock City, some good hiking in the area.

5. Just Joey

Just Joey New Member

Cummins Falls SP. Private campground across the road. No campsites at the park. Pretty quiet. Near Cookeville which has some good places to eat. Ralph's Donuts if you like those. Eat at the counter for the full small town experience.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

A couple years ago I went to the smokey mountains near the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. Lots of things you can do there for the whole family and you can take a day trip or two in the mountains. I personally stayed in the National park itself, but lots of private campgrounds around that could offer what you need. I wish I had more time as four night just wasn’t enough time to do what I wanted to do.

7. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

We just got back a week ago from a week at Elkmont in Great Smokey Mtn NP. This trip was in danger of being cancelled all summer, first by the park system and then by me thanks to the pandemic, but we went, and we loved it.

Unfortunately for you, the NP doesn't have water or shore power hookups. I would definitely consider your mandate one that, as it sure is a beautiful place to camp, and you're not going to get that kind of experience in a private campground.

8. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Is Deborah still the host?

9. Mark60

Mark60 Member

Indian boundary in tellicoTN, nice camp ground and a big lake all surrounded by mountains.

10. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

I've been to Nashville a few times and its an awesome city. Not sure about where to camp nearby though.

Pigeon forge/Gatlinburg area is beautiful for sure. I haven't been there in a long time, but I'd love to go back again. For camping thats where I'd probably go.

11. Del Kelso

Del Kelso Member

Chilhowee Recreation Area, West of Cleveland TN.
    • on the ridge top, so cooler than the valley.
    • nearby Hiwasee River, Class II plus...easily one of the most beautiful floats east of the Mississippi
    • nearby Ocoee River, home of Olympic White Water Center and EXCELLENT guided rafting if a little crowded at peak season
    • Ocoee River, whitewater paddling for intermediate to advanced paddlers
    • not to awfully far from the Nantahala River...whitewater rush, even a beginner plus paddler can run it in an inflatable kayak
    • very nearby large lake
    • campground has small lake with beach for swimming

12. Gone-Pupping

Gone-Pupping New Member

That would be "The Old Mill Campground and General Store" wife and i camped there this year, small, quiet anfd friendly. It is a privately owned CG.

13. rsdata

rsdata Active Member Gold Supporting Member

Several campgrounds around Maggie Valley, NC which is near the eastern border of TN... lots to see and do in that area, very nice scenery driving up to the national park areas

14. Iron Zebra

Iron Zebra New Member Gold Supporting Member

15. Del Kelso

Del Kelso Member

okay, here is another one
    • primitive camping along Telico River Road, no electricity but fantastic scenery (near Tellico Plains)