Tell me about Oklahoma's Osage Hills State Park and Wah Sha She SP

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by unclemark, Apr 18, 2016.

1. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

Over Memorial Day weekend, how crazy does it get at Osage Hills SP and the state park formerly known as Wah Sha She SP? Is the latter even operating? It appears to be run by a tribal committee called Hulah Lake Osage Association now that the state has given it up. Has anyone been there under the new management?

I'm especially interested in a side trip to the Tallgrass Preserve near Pawhuska, and these two parks seem like the closest public camping areas.

Curious whether rules are enforced, how crowded the holidays get, that sort of thing.

http://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.5595?CMP=PPC_G_SP123_OsageHillsStatePark&gclid=CLz4ppXSmcwCFRCRaQodtYoBVA

http://www.hulahlakeosage.com/

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/oklahoma/placesweprotect/tallgrass-prairie-preserve.xml

2. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

We have never camped at either place. I know someone that has and hopefully I can contact him and find out for you. Love Osage Hills!!! We have hiked there twice. Another place to visit near there is Woolaroc. I always enjoy going there.

We are planning on going to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge near Lawton, Oklahoma over Memorial Weekend. They do not take reservations. [:(] I'm crossing my fingers we can get a spot. I want to wake up to bison and elk outside my PUP.

3. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Have you tried calling either park's office to see what they know about a busy weekend?

4. unclemark

Haha. No, I haven't but that happens to be the standard reply on the park's website to queries: call the park and ask. [{:)] We've booked for Memorial Day, and we'll see what happens. Sites were getting gobbled up yesterday, and I decided to pull the trigger. Plus, I started to wonder whether my notice here might have gotten some folks interested in the campground, and perhaps resulted in reservations. Regardless, a phone call is probably a great idea. Thanks!

5. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Oh good, which one are you staying at?
    Please share after your trip.

I'm hoping we get a spot at WMWR. I hate that we can't make reservations for a busy weekend. :-o

6. unclemark

Osage Hills SP. I'll write it up. WMWR looks really amazing. Little far, but may I can stop there sometime on the way someplace else. Or maybe it's a fall or spring trip. Not gonna go south in Jun, July, or Aug.

7. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

You know Osage Hills has a pool and it opens on Memorial Day Weekend. I can't remember the cost. I know Sequoyah SP let's campers swim free in the resort pool along with the lake swimming.

8. unclemark

This is by far the best camping experience I've had on Memorial Day weekend. Osage hills is an exceptional park with a quiet and beautiful campground. No generators! Had an incredible drive to tall grass preserve to see bison herd. Fabulous weather. We shall return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Glad to hear you all had a great time. We enjoyed our weekend at Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge near Lawton. We also saw Bison, prairie dogs, longhorns, elk, wild turkey, deer, Oklahoma boomer lizards, and a road runner. If you get a chance to go, it is well worth the drive.

10. unclemark

I need to go there. Maybe in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk