Tell me about your wheel chocks

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by eoleson1, May 3, 2021.

1. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

This weekend we had a site that wasn't exactly level. It was sloping both front to back and roadside to curbside. I back her in, then pulled her up onto the leveling blocks. I put my camco chocks on the non-leveled wheel and started to disconnect from the TV. When it came off the ball, the trailer rolled back about 3 inches until the chock dug in and held. It almost rolled off of the leveling block. I got it braced up and stable for the weekend, but I thought there has to be a better way. I looked online but didn't see any chocks better than the camco style.

What advice can you give me here? I thought maybe switching to a BAL leveling system may help?

Afterthought: If I am plugged into shore power, can I pull the breakaway switch and use the camper brakes like a parking brake? Would that pull the battery down faster than the converter can charge it back up?

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Sounds like the leveling block was not level. I've found that my chocks work better flipped over, with the flat side to the tire and the curved side down.
    You don't want your electric brakes actuated all the time. Could burn the coils out, then you don't have brakes. The break-away switch is for emergencies.

3. Groomporter

Groomporter Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I may be the oddball, but i chock both sides of the camper. You can put a board under the chock also. So like a wedge under the chock. I have one set of the camco type chocks and one set of the harbor freight rubber ones. I sort or like the rubber ones better. I think they slip less. Other ideas, if its wet out roll the camper back and forth a few times to compact the ground.

5. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Your trailer is too heavy for a Bal leveler but they also make a single wheel chock, which I highly recommend. No one's mentioned the Camco chocks that lock into the leveling blocks.

On steep slopes it's best to hammer the downhill chocks into place so they have some bite before you release the trailer. Always leave your chains and break away cable in place until after you lift off the hitch and verify your trailer is secure.

hayyward, Nick81 and generok like this.
  6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I chock both sides of the trailer and front and back sides of the wheel most times. I have dual axles and also use a X chock between the tires on one side.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    DiamondGirl, generok and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. AndreD

AndreD Active Member

what pop up do they have? I thought the bal leveler could handle all pop ups.

woodentoy likes this.
  8. SteveP

Not a popup based on his sig.
    2018 Shasta Oasis 18BH
    2021 Dodge Durango
    2006 Chevrolet Colorado
    [put&hy]
    [suv&hy]

9. AndreD

AndreD Active Member

Do signatures not show on the mobile platform? I don’t see that (asking for future reference)

10. Sjm9911

Turn you phone sideways, then they should show.

DiamondGirl and AndreD like this.
  11. SteveP

No one's mentioned the Camco chocks which lock into their leveling pads.

On steep slopes it's best to hammer the downhill chocks into place so they have some bite before you release the trailer. Always leave the chains and break away cable connected until you have lifted the hitch off the ball and verified that the camper is secure.

xxxapache likes this.
  12. AndreD

AndreD Active Member

Well I’ll be… learned something new today. Thank you

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. Sjm9911

Im with you, i feel that the 4 chocks stabilize the camper a lot better then one side. Now i dont have the x chocks, but mine is solid and have no wobble when set up.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  14. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Same. X Chock both sides, and normally one side is in the Andersen levelers, which also act as a chock. I also have a small set of stackable chocks that work surprisingly well.

xxxapache likes this.
  15. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Yep, I use the Andersen levelers also. They are fantastic.

Mark CASTELLANI and generok like this.
  16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We have three styles of chocks. In general, the BAL chock (not leveler - we use Lynx blocks for that) is always used. For the other wheel, it's either a standard plastic chick, or the Lynx one(s) that goes onto the blocks. We got tired of the light plastic chocks blowing out from under the tires on hard surfaces, even when set with a rubber mallet.

Attached Files:

17. Groomporter

Groomporter Well-Known Member

I'm showing my age here, but I confess discussions of chocks always make me think of the old vitamins for children... [:O)] [:D][​IMG]

hayyward, JimmyM, jbalash and 4 others like this.
  18. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have 3 different types of chocks.. I have 2 knock-off version of the B.A.L dual wheel chock, 2x homemade between the wheel chocks (looks similar to the cheap yellow CamCo ones and the 3rd set of chocks are the chocks I used with the popup for years and still use, 8inch long piece of cedar 4x4 post cut in half at a 45 angle.. All 3 styles work great with my Lynx Levelers..

bal chock.jpg Wood chock.jpg

generok likes this.
  19. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I use the BAL single wheel chock, and the BAL leveler on the other side. Guessing your TT is a single axle? If the BAL will fit, it is an excellent chock.

You can also get chocks that interlock with Lynx if you use those. If the site were badly sloped I would try and use my lynx to stairstep up to get a level platform, assuming the BAL could not handle it. However, with my pup severe grades usually mean I can't set up, as mine is lower than most pups. I had one site that was bad enough that there was no room to swing down the stabs on the back. Ended up using a wheel jack instead for that trip.

20. Drufus

Drufus Member

I also use the HarborFreight chocks on both wheels. Solid.