Tell Me What You Love About Your HTT!

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by NJDrummer, Feb 25, 2018.

1. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

We are seriously trying to move from our beloved Clipper pop-up to a hybrid travel trailer. The set-up on the pup is not horrible, but we'd like it if was a little easier :)

It's hard because we LOVE our camper but also want the ease of a travel trailer. So...

What do you love about your HTT? Anything you don't love? Do you use the toilet, and how difficult is the black tank dump? How many showers can you take before the gray is full? (Assuming a gray tank capacity of about 40 gallons and a black tank of about 22 gallons.)

If you switched from a pop-up are you glad you switched? If not, why?

What kind of HTT do you have and why did you buy that one? (I know that what I tow with will determine what I get, but I just want to hear what you all have and why!)

Thanks, all! We are struggling with a decision and since we will be the first people in our camping "family" to make the switch, we don't have anyone to ask for advice. So all opinions and thoughts are welcome!!

Thanks!!
    Leslie

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

We like the convenience of the TT. The setup is quick. No popping up to pack or unpack. Not having to worry about wet canvas and trying to dry. Just push a button awning comes out and a lot larger awning
    Night and day difference in fridges. We now have a freezer. Love the full bath. As far as dumping, all I need is get within 50ft of the station.
    Went from a pup with no bath, so we used a shower tent. Taking a lot less junk with us.
    AC will get the interior cold.
    Bottom line...for us a whole lot less work and a lot more enjoyable.

NJDrummer likes this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

We have just gotten our first Hybrid and we have not camped in it yet. I love that I can go into it at any time. The height is no problem, I couldn't see over our popup either. It is wider, which is nice inside, but I need a camera to see behind it. Tows just as well as my popup did. And it has insulation!!!!!

NJDrummer likes this.
  4. coney

coney New Member

Hi Raycfe, are you using mirror extenders ?
    btw I'm up in Waterford several times a year as my brother lives in town, but have never camped there. Can you recommend any nice campsites nearby ?

5. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

We have a 3 bunk hybrid. Extra bunk is great for family of 5. More sleeping space than similar length TT. Much easier to set up and keep stocked than our old pup. Harder to tow, more weight and wind resistance, blocks rear vision and you have to plan your maneuvers much more in advance. However, the convenience meant we actually camp more often (about twice as much). We only use our shower when we have full hookups, but use the bathroom all the time (especially at night). Dumping the tanks are no big deal. Nice to have a large refrigerator. We only carry a cooler for drinks now. It stays warmer than the pup during cold nights, and the a/c is awesome in hot weather (we don’t always use it). Sometimes we just turn it to fan only, which helps control the moisture and it creates good white noise for sleeping.

NJDrummer likes this.
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Seaport Campground rt 184 Mystic CT.
    I have an old set of those Uhaul towing mirrors but haven't try them yet..... but I have a new Furrion Wireless Observation System which I think will do the trick.

7. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

Good luck with your search

NJDrummer likes this.
  8. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

We spent over 20 years in P'ups, Wife fell in love with the first Hybrid we ever seen. We picked up a used one and after a couple years we hunted down our perfect Hybrid, Shamrock 21DK. A tub was the main thing for us, a few gallons of water and the grandson get cleaned, rinse off and wife then me use the water to wash then rinse off. We all get cleaned with less than 10 gallons of water. We noticed that with it being easier than the Pups we camp a lot more often now

NJDrummer likes this.
  9. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

These are great, thanks everyone! And if anyone else wants to share, please do!

10. darrenandmelissa

darrenandmelissa Member

We went to a HTT from a pop up and have not looked back.

Enjoy the fact I can walk into anytime I want. Allows us to pack before we head out weekend.

Full size fridge is great. Like I said before I can walk in and stock up the fridge before we leave. Even when the camper is parked in the yard, I leave it plugged in and leave my fridge plugged in all summer. Freezer is great for ice cream, we have saved so much money by not having to buy ice cream at the camp ground.

The bathroom is handy on cold rainy mornings. People who say they wouldn't use the toilet because of the black tank have never used or maintained a black tank, if you have a toilet make use of it. I only use my shower when at a full service site. you will fill up the grey tank way to quickly other wise.

My only downside to a HTT is that your still dealing with canvas. If they are wet while packing up, you will have to open it when you get home. We have talked about a TT before but with a HTT I am still sleeping under canvas so it feels like camping.

Rockwood_Freedom and NJDrummer like this.
  11. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

NJDrummer likes this.
  12. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

I love how quickly we can set up and tear down camp now, plus being able to eat our on the road lunches in the camper.

NJDrummer likes this.
  13. Fred&Diane

Fred&Diane New Member

I love that I'm towing a 21ft trailer, but when I'm setup at camp I get to enjoy the space of a 32ft trailer.
    We absolutely love waking up in the morning, in the tent end to the refreshing breeze and sound of birds singing.
    Yeah I've thought many time of upgrading to some humungous 5th wheel, and truck to tow; but the simple appeal of our hybrid makes camping so much more enjoyable.

myride and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

We went totally to the dark side to a small couple's camper without a slide. Yes, at times I've missed the canvas but I also missed the backcountry nylon for a while.

The pluses for us are camping in bear country is less of a hassle. We tend to take long summer trips both in time and distance and I've found I'm less stressed knowing if all else fails I can pull off the road and asphalt dock for the night. With the pup we got caught a few times were we couldn't find a campground with available space.

Less has broken with the TT but more has broken than I can fix. Overall repairs and maintenance have been higher and we bought new.

At less than 5,000 pounds loaded our Jayco 21QB is an easy tow.

Biggest downside are some of the campgrounds we can't get into now.

15. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I don’t have a TT myself but my parents have a 25’ TT which I’ve helped them with. I find The black water tank is not hard or really nasty as it sounds. If you’ve emptied a cassette toilet it really isn’t that different except you have a hose you attach . You do have to be careful to keep excess water in the black tank to ensure no build up of waste inside your tanks though. Some campgrounds, the line to the dump station can be long so you may be waiting longer to get on the road. That is the one thing I really love about a popup. I can drive on by the dump station as I’ve emptied the blue boy and cassette the night before. The chief complaint my dad has with his TT is the fact he needs a larger vehicle to tow it and the truck is way more expensive to maintain. With the popup the grocery getter was also the tow vehicle and it got way better gas mileage. He also complains that the TT is more expensive to maintain. For one instead of 2 tires to buy, he has to buy 4.

16. Papa Glenn

Papa Glenn Member

We had a 17’ hybrid (2000 Keystone Cabana) for 14 years and loved it. Major pros of the move from a very basic pop up we’re: warm water, refrigerator/freezer, bathroom and access when closed up. Being able to load the trailer before trips and unload/clean after without opening up was a major bonus.

Our sons were 11 & 9 when we bought it so we’re still fairly small humans but the trailer fit the four of us (and our dog) when our sons topped out at 6’2” & 6’4”. We’ve moved on now since our sons are grown & married (truck camper for a while and now an A-Frame camper) and had other RVs before (campervan and pop up) but we had the hybrid far longer than any other RV. It suited us very well for a long time.

myride likes this.
  17. myride

myride Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Well, only two quick trips with my NTM hybrid and I can definitely see the upside/downside compared to my UTAH PUP.
    Downside....lower milage than towing popup, headwind/sidewind effect, Loosing add-a-room, TV works harder. More maintenance (seals etc.)

Upside....Ability to turtle, MUCH faster setup/teardown. Real toilet/shower. Better storage and ability to leave stocked. Much better fridge with freezer, AC, better heat distribution.
    I'm sure I'll think of more but you get the drift.....

Jim K in PA likes this.