Tell me your Dealer Trade in Experience - how much did you get?

Discussion in 'RV Dealers & Repair Shops' started by jonkquil, Mar 13, 2021.

1. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member Gold Supporting Member

I've always heard that Dealers Low Ball you when dealing/trading in a pop-up. But they didn't in my case, so I'm curious what others have got when trading-in.

Last February (right before Covid) I saw a dream HW that I wanted at a Dealership. They were a full sized trailer dealer & had this one pop-up for sale from a trade-in.
    I owned a 2007 Fleetwood Westlake (13 years old at the time) I had bought it 11 years prior for $6000, I'm confident that I could have listed & sold it for $5000. But would have been super happy to trade it in with the Dealer or sell to a family/friend for $4000, if it meant not dealing with set-up (it's Winter) Craigslist flakes & scams, figuring out a transaction of a couple grand and I needed the cash from the Westlake to help fund the HW, so timing needed to work.
    I didn't think to ask the Dealer for a Trade-In price as I have always heard that they give you next to nothing. So I was stunned when the Dealer asked me over the phone how much I wanted for the Westlake, then agreed to give me my $4000 (site unseen!) as Trade-In.
    It all worked perfectly, I towed the Westlake to the Dealer (a little sad leaving it there, I have to admit) & towed the HW home!

Does anyone else have some positive stories of Trading-in? Is the Dealer low-ball offer actually a thing or just a myth? Is my experience rare? Please share your story, good & bad.

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Trade-in values can be a bit of sleight of hand. They have an idea of how much they can sell the trade for and how much they want to sell it for. They also know how much they can take off of the unit they are selling you. They can offer you $3000 for your trade and take $1500 off of the list price, or they can offer you $4000 for your trade and take $500 off the list price. Makes no difference to their bottom line. If you add dealer fees to the mix, it gets even murkier. I tried to trade in a Taurus wagon once and got offers of between $1000 and $5000 from different dealer.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I agree. They make money somehow, how i dont care as long as i get a deal i want. Same with buying a car. Have your number you need to hit, and if you get there , you did good.

4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

At the other end of the spectrum, when we bought our TT the dealer offered me $500 for our Pup. If he would have offered $2,000 or even $1,500 I've have taken it. Instead, we gave it to our daughter and son-in-law.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

The dealer I bought the TT from almost 10yrs ago makes most of their money on used units by moving inventory, they know the value of what your trading in and what you are buying. Big thing is they price the used units so they do sell and sell fast.

6. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I’ve never dealt with a dealer on an RV, I have on a lot of other things. Individually or in combination, I been subjected to attempted lowballing on trade in, highballing on purchase price, excessive fees on purchase, dubious financing offers; and even good old bait and switch. So much so that threat of incarceration is about what it takes to make me go to a dealership for something. Not that private parties as a rule are any better.

IMO, about the best you can do is find, (And appears you did) is find a dealer who works off of
    “Honest margins”. Basically they know what they need to make on the purchase, what they are willing to risk on the trade and stay with it. As mentioned above, there is a certain math gamesmanship involved on their end still, but less than the “What the market will bare” crowd IMO more commonly encountered.

To answer your question, “Is lowballing a myth” I know from my experiences it is not.

7. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

When i bought new the dealer didnt even want mine..it was a super clean 87 coleman columbia that i was the second owner of.
    I showed them detailed pics and offered to bring it to them
    So they could look at it.
    So i gave it to my niece and its kind of cool seeing it when she camps with us.

8. CamperMike

CamperMike Active Member

The dealer I bought from really wasn't that interested in my popup either... said I'd probably do better selling it myself. But they did actually give me some good advice... I was planning to try to get $2000 for it and they said I should get 2500 easy... they were right. Listed for 2700, within a week I got $2500 for it.

kcsa75 likes this.
  9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Dealer I traded to, were very happy getting a pup on trade.. they sell a few new ones each year but because they price their used trailers to move inventory, used pups sell fast.. We traded in the fall and I check the dealers site weekly, looking for our pup to see what they listed it at.. It finally was listed for their May open house sale for $5500.. They gave me $4000 site unseen for it.. so at most they made $1500 on it, but if they gave away similar extras like they gave me, that "profit" would have been closer to the $1200 mark..

10. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Take NADAs low retail number without adding options, subtract 35-40%, that gives you ballpark wholesale. Then deduct another 15%. Any additions or mods don't count for squat. Ballpark trade value. Dealers use NADA but the published subscription version opposed to generic online version.

The above works for something in good to great condition.

We paid just under $20K for our 17 Roo. Using the above I get @ $9.500.00

We paid @ $18K for a new 2013 Passport 235 hybrid in 2013. Was offered $9000 trade in 2016. Sold privately for $13500.00

Dealer has a lot of overhead reselling that you pay for when trading in. He doesn't pay for it. It's like the RV show super special. The Dealer is not paying for the floor space at the convention center, the buyer does. The super special price is more than you could have bought for off his lot. Shell games.

Your best deal new will always be having Dealer order from factory, just as long as the Dealer is not a money grubbing snake as it eliminates a lot of the overhead of sitting on the lot. Some dealers love the special order, some don't and only care about max profit. This however comes with its own hurdles and pitfalls such as if the one ordered arrives being a POS rolled out the door at 3:30 PM on Friday among other things.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021