temp fix??

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by tjwagers, Aug 31, 2011.

1. tjwagers

tjwagers Member

OK, so I've got a bit of an issue. There is some damage to the ceiling in the pup from a leaky vent. I have a plan on how to repair the damage with a full "re-skin" of the ceiling and add bracing to make the roof stronger.

Here's the catch: DW has informed me that I have no time between now and the next scheduled outing for the pup in which to fix it.

Question is should I do a temp fix of spraying some 3M super 77 on the sagging panels (shown below) and should I wait until it starts to be fall before I even do the temp fix? I wanna be able to use the camper(so the temp fix has to last through the next outing), but I also want to fix it right.

Here's a few pics to show what I'm talking about. BTW the ceiling currently has a fix done by the PO with a "plastic cardboard" as the ceiling covering.

The good end(nevermind the toys DW is also using it for storage) :
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot near the roof vent:
    [​IMG]

The worst of it(seam over the dinette):
    [​IMG]

2. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

I wouldn't use Super 77. It may or may not eat the foam insulation, and you don't want that just before a trip. If it isn't falling on your head right now and you can live with it for 1 more trip, I, personally, wouldn't touch it. I'd make sure I had a roll of duct tape with me when I camped it (just in case it did fall) but I wouldn't do anything else to it until I had time to do it right.

3. tjwagers

tjwagers Member

the wood veneer layer is still there or I wouldn't even consider the 77....but the area over the dinette is low enough that it hits my head....it has to be fixed before I can use it and duct tape isn't strong enough to do the job(already tried).

4. 1madscot

1madscot Member

Would it make more sense to just carefully cut and remove the offending portions until you can make the permanent repairs? If the wood veneer is still under there, perhaps just a quick paint job with some white paint will make it bearable. I'm not real sure, as I can't see what's under the ceiling panels.

5. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

1madscot makes a great point. It's something to consider anyway.

If you still want to try the glue, is there any exposed foam up there in the ceiling at all? If not, you may be okay to try the adhesive. If so, I'd avoid spraying it in those areas.

Be warned that even with the adhesive the ceiling might fail again. Folks who have read my long-winded comments on just about anything know that I'm not a big fan of Super 77 because it just doesn't work very well in overhead or hot applications (and heat does build up in a pup ceiling.) It may fail before your trip is over. Take the can with you just in case. In the case of roof rot, the ceiling may fall again due to the rotted wood inside the panel being so deteriorated that it won't even hold its own weight.

If you have any contact cement handy, it would work a lot better than Super 77. Again, I'd be careful putting it on any exposed foam.

6. mark2011

mark2011 Member

Take that "one more camping trip" and then plan to devote some time for rebuilding the ceiling. It's a tedious and somewhat timing-consuming endeavor but it's very doable. I'm nearing the final stages of my own ceiling/roof rebuild. Good luck!