Tenderfoot Creek Campground

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by generok, Aug 6, 2018.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Tenderfoot Creek Campground is a USNFS Campground behind Summit Lake just off the Seward Highway between the Hope Highway and Sterling Highway cutoffs. It's a primitive campground with hand pump drinking water and vault toilets, neither of which I used so I can't comment. There are a few eyebrow pull thought sites, but be warned, some of them veer to the left of the main loop, and if they do, it will put your door and awning facing AWAY from the campsite and towards the road, which is a bit awkward. The whole area is gravel. There are about 35 sites, which a pretty close to level, but most folks I saw had to add a leveler on one side or another, but not much.

It's on Summit Lake, which is a nice lake. The CG has a small boat launch, and it's a great lake for canoes.

The only down side is the traffic noise from the Seward Highway. When it's busy, you can hear it pretty clearly, even though you're about 1/2 mile from it. It seems to just carry across the lake.

They have a dumpster for trash.

Sites are wooded and provide some privacy. You don't feel like you're on top of each other, which is very nice.

2018 price was $18 a night, and it IS reservable on Recreation.gov, and does fill up most of the summer on the weekends. There are some tent only sites too. The Summit Lake Lodge is about a mile walk if you want food, drink or a place to sit, but that's it for services. No gas, ice or sundries for sale.

Camp hosts sold firewood for $8 a bundle.

Pretty area, I'd go again to get away for the weekend.

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

2019 update: price is still $18/night. CG was still in excellent condition. Site #24 is an eyebrow site, and puts the door on the correct side, but it is quite unlevel side to side. I needed over 6" to get level, which is more than I usually pack, but we made it work.