Tent camping at Yosemite, but have the wrong site

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by ryan the geek, Feb 25, 2017.

1. ryan the geek

ryan the geek Member

Son and I are taking our mancation this year out west ( no camper), and ran into a little snag.

We managed to get two nights at Yosemite campground in June! But, we booked a double trailer site... I headed the warning of the rangers and have everything ready when Yosemite opens up online reservations, and frantically tried getting sites as they quickly dispersed. The campground sold out in under 3 minutes! Well in the madness I clicked on a double trailer site by accident and booked that site. Needless to say that once I realized it, no other sites were available.

So the question is:

1. Do I call the campground and tell them the error?

2 do I just let it go and wait till we arrive?

It a popular place, and don't want to hog a double site for 4 people, when clearly there is a long line of people hoping for a site, but I don't want the park to cancel my reservation because of the error.

Anyone with experience at this park?

Thanks Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

I think I would just keep it. your not going to get another site at this stage of the game.. [:(]

3. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

What site did You get, and where? Did it cost you more money for the double site or does it mean a 2nd trailer reserved the other 1/2 of the site for their RV?

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I would just keep it. Maybe other family or friends may want to go with you before the time comes, and you may end up needing the space. Even if not, you're not going to get another spot at this point, so don't give it up.

5. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I'm sure there is someone who would want to share the site with you. Since it is a double site, you can have someone who didn't get a site this time camp with you since you can have a trailer and tent too. Doing so you could actually reduce your camping cost to next to nothing. We had a group of 8 attempt to get sites for this June. We all fired at 7:00 am California time and scored nothing. So don't give up that spot. Sublet it......

6. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

I would just keep it, but it does say minimum of 7 people. Like 94-D2 said, just find someone to go with you. I will be there June 11th to 14th... [;)]

7. ryan the geek

ryan the geek Member

Great input! Thank you. Sounds like well keep the site and just wait till we get there and see if someone want to camp with us. We are going to be getting in late the first night ( coming from Muir Woods), but maybe the second night we can find someone.

I am just worried about checking, but at that point I'm not sure they would deny us from taking the site.

8. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Why not find somebody here on the portal? I would rather take my chances here, instead of with some random stranger. Could even be a mini rally if the dates are right.

9. ryan the geek

ryan the geek Member

Excellent idea!!

10. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Ok, now that I have said that, checking in could be a bit tricky. They check I.D.s at check in. (There used to be ticket scalper problems) I would think that with a double site, they would allow someone else to check in first.

11. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

How old is your son? Does he have friends he might want to ask if they would go? Or maybe friends (yours or his with their parents) driving out in a second vehicle. You would have plenty of room for a second tent. Just a thought if you don't mind it not being just the two of you.

12. ryan the geek

ryan the geek Member

We're from the east coast and flying in to San Fran. Unfortunately don't know anyone in the area.

A buddy and his boy are flying out as well ( 2 tents, 4 people ). My boy is 9

13. 4my2girls

4my2girls New Member

I would forsure keep the site. You paid for it they won't care how your filling it, 2 people or 10 whatever the rules are your fine. Many sites are so close together and with kids it will be nice for extra space for them to play. Depending on what part of the park your in.. some make you park your car in a different area while others on the south end let you park your car in your spot.. sure you paid extra for a double spot enjoy it any are hard to come by. We are going in a few months it's our 5 time with our girls but our first time with our pop up! Enjoy

14. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

You got the site fair and square, and paid for it. They would not deny it to you. It's yours to do with as you like for the period of time you reserved it. :)