Tent Camping

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by firepit, Mar 17, 2020.

1. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I bring a tent every time that we go camping. I think that it is a necessity and one of the best things that I bring.
    I have a Coleman 10 person tent with the hinged door. We use it as our changing area and for storage and also as a wall. I make our site totally private with camper, tent, and TV placement. We have no suitcases or clutter inside the camper. I have a chair and card table in the tent and the hinged door allows you to leave it unzipped for easy entry and exit.

Rik Peery and James Rucker like this.
  2. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

That was at a NF remote camp site, so no we didn't.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Now that our shade/rain structures have bit the dust, I'm thinking we need to take the shower/potty tent we have on some trips for sheltered storage, or to segregate Courtenay's wet backpacking equipment, if he gets drenched on a trip. I miss the space under the back bunk on the Cobalt as one space. We have front country tents we could use, but even the 4 person tent seems a bit of overkill for that use.

4. James Rucker

James Rucker Active Member

Took my wife tent camping last year with ALL borrowed stuff, now we own a pup. Lol

5. James Rucker

Truer words were never spoken

adkdave likes this.
  6. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

I like there design, with a rope sewn in the bottom perimeter and steel stake loops attached to that perimeter. It appears to be very sturdy, the perimeter and spring - bar metal support posts.

The breathable canvas, interior comfort - while keeping water out, is of interest to me too.

My Coleman Cabin tent does fairly well with interior comfort, it's sealed with water proof treatment and the vents help with interior comfort. But in heavy rains, all zipped up except for the top vent, it can get humid - especially here in the SE.

Pop Up Portal is great for camping information, so many choices... do I get 8' box PUP, do I get Springbar, do I just go with another Coleman Cabin tent or maybe an Eureka! cabin tent :)

Fun to plan and dream here :)

kitphantom and James Rucker like this.
  7. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

Camped twice with my wife. Once, early on in our relationship, did some beach tent camping - she was okay with it. Second time, with kids, bugs and humidity had her declare only family "camping" in a fully furnished cabin with AC :)

She's kind about it, the kids and I are free to tent adventure as often as we like. Family vacation though, has to have at least a nice (AC) cabin or lodge :)

8. James Rucker

My wife was indeed graceful as she could be. The yaks helped her mood some. She did declare that all future camping SHALL have hot and cold running water and preferably the "camp ground" should have at least 2 stars behind their name as well. I'm free to go where I wish as long as she can bow out.

BBQdave likes this.
  9. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

I grew up tent camping and absolutely loved every single minute of it; even the bad weather trips. ;)
    When we got married and started having kids, DH suggested we go to Maine for Labor Day weekend. Well, that was on the Monday before the weekend. I ran out to K-Mart (yeah, it was that long ago) and bought whatever they had left for tents. That was it, one dome tent for he, me, our 3 yr old son and 3 month old son. We used regular bedding, cooked over the campfire and had some flashlights.
    DH had never been camping in his life.
    It was a memorable trip for many reasons; the torrential rain being a biggie. Saw many empty campsites with sleeping bags and tents in the garbage after the first night of heavy rain.
    Happily, DH didn't give up and we were tent campers for the next 30+ years; our 2019 winter trip being the last tent camping trip we went on.

1380ken, neighbormike and BBQdave like this.
  10. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

s-l1600.jpg Well...It all worked out....I didn't have to buy a tent after all.
    I got my Bushnell tent back from my niece who purchased my old pop
    and had never used it....Loved that tent...Easy to set up and rock solid[:D]

Orchid, Rik Peery, BBQdave and 2 others like this.
  11. Rey-Pop-UP

Rey-Pop-UP Member

Aahh the Old Faithful Coleman. We bought this before we had kids and slowly outgrew it. Im glad all 3 of my kids got to camp in it. My youngest wasn’t even walking when he was in it. This was the last time we used it on a trip before purchasing our pop-up. We still have it and set it up in the backyard occasionally. It’s served us well:) upload_2020-4-28_7-4-53.jpeg

12. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I had that same tent with my three kids. I then got the version that was all tent and no screen room. Good times.

Rey-Pop-UP likes this.
  13. firepit

Nothin beats a tent for a quick over nighter.

14. jeicher

jeicher Member

Started with tent camping many years ago. A couple of heavy storms got me rethinking my camping strategy, so I got a tent trailer (literally a tent with wheels) and being off the ground was a great benefit. A trip with my family to Disneyland confirmed my decision since all the tent campers spent their day drying out everything. Eventually getting older and more sybaritic, I have migrated to a small TT with a bathroom. During my backpacking trips there were many times I wished I could carry the TT on my back. At one point, wanting to camp by myself, I purchased an Aliner Alite. This had somewhat the feel of a tent, pointy roof and a bit cramped, but had hard walls and was weatherproof. Now at my advanced age (83) it take all I can do to hitch and setup the small TT, but getting out and spending some time in a nice campground is worth the effort whether your in a tent or a 5th wheeler. At the local state park I once saw someone overnighting with a sheltered hammock and it got below freezing at night - Hope they enjoyed their adventure.
    See the evolution of my many campers at https://sites.google.com/site/jhecampers/

15. Rey-Pop-UP

Rey-Pop-UP Member

:(:(
    The screen room is great we use to put toys out for our kids to play while we cooked or finished setting up camp. We would fit 2 queen size air mattresses in it (Barely) lol
    It was nice we could change the kids and ourselves without having to be crouched down. Many good memories in that tent :(

16. slowcarfast

slowcarfast Active Member

Well, our family has been tent camping until we got the pup about a month ago. It's been sitting in the garage since then on account of quarantine. Hoping it will extend our camping season and make it a tad easier to get out in the woods. I'll never be done with tent camping though! Among other things, once or twice a year I canoe camp with some buddies on the Suwannee River. There's nothing like that, and I plan to keep doing it as long as I can lift a paddle... and after that maybe I'll get a trolling motor!

Suwanee tents.jpg Suwannee chillin.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    BBQdave, hammb, firepit and 2 others like this.
  17. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We have the 12 person version of this. I think the Bushnell is my favorite tent, and we have owned many! It's especially nice in Florida, as the rain fly sits so high off the mesh, it stays cool.

I love looking at pictures of us tent camping, and remembering how cozy it was. I grew up tent camping and we raised all of our kids tent camping. Even as nostalgic as I am, I can't really say I miss it. I love the memories, but don't want all the work that went into it again. Also, really love the a/c and bathroom in our pup.

We did have a chemical toilet in the tent, but wasn't as nice as the bathroom in our pup, and obviously no running water in the tent.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. firepit

I agree...The bushnell tent is great tent at a medium price point...very well made and the rain fly amazing..

Orchid likes this.