Tent, or RV?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Myles, Apr 6, 2017.

1. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Being an avid tent camper from back in the 50s until now I still have the yearn to do alot of tent camping... We include it alot in our camping experience...

I am really interesting in getting one of these setups

[​IMG]

This would fit is just right for my Ham radio expeditions back off-trail somewhere... Has good cooking area and inside storage and a nice full tent on top...

These are made by Oregon Trail'R TerraDrop off-road trailer using the teardrop trailer idea...

I like this setup...

Last season we ran into a biker camper that had a tent setup over the top of his bike. It worked out great... A few years ago we ran into a lady biker that was writing for a magazine article of camping all around the US on a bike. She was an interesting person to talk for a long time. Enjoyed that visit... Have forgot her name now... We was sitting next to each other that night and big rain storm came up. She was high and dry and we got flooded out in our tent setup haha... This was up on the Blue Ridge Parkway at one of its camp spots in South Virginia...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I'll agree with checking with the campground. If you're not familiar with that campground it can be difficult to know just what each classification of sites means. In some of our favorite campgrounds, we've used the same sites for tents, popups and TT. There are places that have tent-only loops, and they mean just that - no tiny trailers, no VW pop-top vans, etc. There are tent sites that require walking to them, with a parking space for the vehicle,again, not going to work, no matter how tiny the pup.

Myles likes this.
  3. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Our state parks call their tent sites primitive I just tool in with the A-Liner set up and no one says a thing! I don't need or use any utilities so why pay for it!!

Myles likes this.
  4. bob barnes

well that is the weirdest thing I have ever seen but I am constantly surprised!!

Myles likes this.
  5. bob barnes

what do you think this thing would cost?

Myles likes this.
  6. roybraddy

They sure don't give them away it appears... More than my OFF-ROAD POPUP camper cost when it was new haha... being up high in the tent bed I'm sure one could get some great nature pictures...

Here is another shot from google images
    [​IMG]
    Love those thin water/gasoline containers...

Roy ken
    [​IMG]

Myles likes this.
  7. roybraddy

Myles likes this.
  8. bob barnes

Last summer we were in Grand Canyon couple tooled in with a hybrid teardrop 35k. Amazing!!

Myles likes this.
  9. bob barnes

Roy by the way I am K0WTZ been at it since 1958 when Sputnik first up!!

10. Myles

Myles New Member

I won't be calling ahead, mostly because I don't know where I'll be stopping for the night. My goal is to do a slow leisurely 300 -400 miles per day, and might go over that a little. Will be looking at camping areas in the range of my daily goals. If I have to pay for a site with elec., water, etc., then I have to look at the cost of a nearby motel, for one. Which ever is cheapest. I won't be leaving my camp sites before 8AM, and hopefully will be in a camp site, and set up by 6PM. My time constraints are based on the fact that my dog, like me, is diabetic. She gets her insulin, and food, every day at 7AM, and 7PM. My diabetes is controlled by my diet, no meds. Navigation will be done with a paper map, my I-Phone, and a GPS (TomTom).

bob barnes likes this.
  11. bob barnes

Gentlemen Don't stress yourself out over camping in 41 years of tenting I can only think of one time I couldn't get a camp site and that was in Yellowstone. It was no big deal just found another campground. I have never found a motel that was cheaper or even close to a camping site with that consider this? When you check into a motel do you get to know your neighbors, hear their war stories, experience the great outdoors the list goes on and on!!!

Myles likes this.
  12. bob barnes

roy I am thinking those are water jugs see the white color?

13. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I set up in tent sites all time with my large 12' box pup, complete with bathroom. [:D] As long they are drive up sites, as opposed to walk in, it's always been allowed. Here in FL, the rangers have told me that they designate most tent sites as such based on low hanging trees. My pup is short enough that it fits.

Every once in awhile, there will be a tree in the middle of the site. That would not effect you and your trailer, so I wouldn't worry about it.

bob barnes and Myles like this.
  14. bob barnes

I am disgusted with MO. state parks they keep reducing the primitive camp sites and adding el. to the others to increase their charges by 2.

15. roybraddy

Hey Bob - My K9PHT call sign was issued in Bonnie, Illinois when I was in High school way back then in the 50s.... Traveled all over the country and Germany overseas and never changed my call sign... My bad was getting hooked up the Navy Mars Program and spent all my time there checking into comm nets and all... I am just now getting into some of the local Amateur Radio things. Have always been involved with Storm Chasing in North Texas and Arkansas and played alot with SKY WARN back then... I now play with Emergency COmms using Amateur Radio which fits right into camping off-grid up in the high country here in Virginia along the Blue Ridge Parkway and also along the high country wooded areas along the Virginia/West Virginia state line border behind Harrisonburg VA... My POPUP trailer of course is loaded down with antenna hehe...

Have my K9PHT call sign on my license plates and when I have two or three personal vehicles Jeeps etc... I will use personal plates and have K9PHT-1 or -2... My whole working days has been with DOD Contractors around the NAVAL SPACE SURVEILLANCE SYSTEM nine field station across the bottom part of the US.... Consisted of three Transmitter Sites and six Receiver Sites and as it turned out the NAVY was first groups (NRL LABS ) that came up with a Detection System when SPUTNIX started orbiting the Earth...

I retired from the Space Surveillance System in 2010. Now that whole system has been abandoned in place and all closed down for a hugh high dollars Air Force Space Surveillance System using just a Transmitter and Receiver site in Australia along the great circle path. Lots of monies have been spent developing this new site and it still is not operational... I was involved with the High VHF Transmitter Station Electronics and did alot of field station trips using my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer in the later years keeping those station fully operational over all the years...

Been a fun trip since the early 60s...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    bob barnes likes this.
  16. bob barnes

Roy the Navy begged me in the 50s to join up since I knew code they even offered me no basic training and a good rank going right in but I thought I wanted a career in the grocery business. I have had so many regrets not taking them up on that offer but I thought I had a plan and although I did well with not a lot of education the retail business is very very hard on people.

Do you remember how scared everyone was when Russia put Sputnick up? Boy the money started flying then I remember smart school teachers getting sent away for specialized training our got back and shortly went into administration he figured out where the money was? Yes by the way on the government stuff being shut down a friend of mine had a job checking aliginements of radio equipment at military airports they closed that down and now contract it out. It was expensive he had a big truck he used I saw one of them somewhere recently while on vacation!

17. dion

dion Member

We've done several cross-country camping trips using a similar strategy, with our PuP, and before we had the PuP, with a Volkswagen camper van. We always found a place to stay. Different campgrounds have different rules; they don't always make a lot of sense, but most of them are reasonable. Be flexible, explain what you want, and see what happens. When I walk into the office and ask for a site, they'll ask what kind, and I always say, "I've got a small tent trailer, and I don't need hookups. I'd be happiest with a tent site if that works for you." Sometimes they'll push me into an electric site. Once, at a KOA, I walked in and before I explained anything they said "We are completely booked up. No sites available." But after I explained that I didn't need hookups, nor did I need a grassy space or picnic table, they happily let me park on an overflow gravel parking lot, which was conveniently located not far from the swimming pool and restroom, with no nearby camp neighbors. I felt it was actually better than most of the regular campsites.

I remember one RV park that wouldn't let us in with the van, saying we weren't big enough. I didn't argue, and found a much nicer campground down the road a bit.

As others have said, there are a few campgrounds with tent sites that require you to walk in and carry your tent 20-30 yards away from your vehicle. These aren't terribly common, but they exist, mostly in state and national parks. As another example of a place where you wouldn't fit, I know of one campground in Glacier National Park that doesn't allow any trailers whatsoever, no matter how small. And there's one campground in Yellowstone that doesn't allow anything with soft (canvas) sides.

But those are the exceptions. With that rig, you've got one of the most flexible camping setups around. You should be able to find a place to fit in just about any campground.

Myles, Be-Ce and bob barnes like this.
  18. bob barnes

I ran into this carrying your stuff into campgrounds in Europe this is how they worked it you would park your car on the lot there were carts nearby to load your stuff on and you would roll your stuff to the campsite. There were no cars allowed in the camping area which I had trouble understanding until I found out the campgrounds might have 4,000 people in it!

19. Myles

Myles New Member

Thanks for the reply, and the info. I also use a free app on my phone called "Allstays". It list camp sites, and includes all military bases with camp sites. I'm a DAV, so I can get in to the base to camp, if I need to.

20. bob barnes

Vets if you get to Lake Ozark Mo. I believe we have a military camping ground there from what I could see from my boat real nice!!

Myles likes this.