Tent sites

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by crazymama30, Jul 9, 2019.

1. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

Have any of you camped in tent sites? I found one that states the driveway is 20ft long, and I figure if I back the pup completely in then the rear bunk would be in the camp site and the rest of the pup would be on the driveway. Hoping to park the TV along the street or even in extra vehicle parking. The spot i am reserving is over on the coast, and I was able to scope out the site ahead of time and it is, to me, the best site in the campground. Ivam just a little leery of camping there as I am a TENT trailer, or am I a tent TRAILER?

2. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Done it a crap load of times back when we had a pop up, still do w/ the Go tent camper or Aliner if we can't get a site w/ electricity...

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

We camp at tent sites all the time. So long as the designation is not "tent only" or "walk-in", we have found that we can generally make it work with the pop-up. That said, can you call someone to verify the parameters that they have for the site, and where your vehicle needs to be/can be parked?

Blackripley and J Starsky like this.
  4. crazymama30

I already checked the campground out, and they have an area for extra vehicle parking. If I have to I will park my truck there and walk to it. I will have to pay more, but in Oregon beach side sites are very rare and even rarer if there is not a cliff between you and the ocean. This one is on the same level as the beach, no cliff, and maybe 40 yards from the beach. It is nicely covered with trees too

5. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

Sounds like a great place!

Is it a state park? I only ask because sometimes there are some weird rules, and it may take a load off your mind if you can contact them and make sure that your plan will pass muster. :smiley:

6. crazymama30

I am not sure if it is a state park, it is called Beachside Recreation Site or Area. It might be as I reserved it through reserveamerica and the state parks use that sites while the forest service uses recreation.gov

7. crazymama30

I think I will just plan on going, plus 2 weeks before I go to this site I am taking a group from work to a different site, so maybe I could talk to the camp host and find out then

8. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

Per Mr. Google:

Beachside State Recreation Site is a state park in the U.S. state of Oregon, administered by the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department.

9. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

Also wanted to add--

I've never been to a place where it's not been okay to have the back bunk hanging over off the pad, so long as the wheels are firmly on it. But, with this being a beach area, if it were me, I'd confirm.

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I've camped on a tent site a few times with my smaller popup. However one site I found a fence that would prevent me from overhanging the back bunk like I expected however thankfully my popup was light enough I was able to push the camper on an angle. With that said, some state parks have tent "only" sites where they do not allow any vehicle other than your car.

11. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I can sometimes find the camp site using SATELITTE VIEW on google maps... Can zoom down on the camp site and see for yourself...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Sjm9911, kitphantom and Blackripley like this.
  13. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Very much depends on the campground. Give them a call.

kitphantom and Rusty2192 like this.
  14. MyName

MyName Active Member

I almost exclusively camp my trailer at Tent sites. Rarely do I have hook ups. Most camp sites I've been to want wheels and jacks on the pavement, but bunk ends can overhang.

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

As long as the site is not on a tent-only loop, classified as tent-only, or walk-in, most (if not all) campgrounds allow popup and other campers in all sites. Length is a limitation, and not all sites have a set-up to allow a rear bunk to hang into the site itself, out of the parking area. Either the parking area is too short, or if it's a pull-through or eyebrow site, the body of the site is at the side of the camper.
    We have used some of the same sites through tents, two popup, and our 17' TT. With a couple of eyebrow sites in a campground we regularly visit, we sized ourselves out of sites we liked between the first and second popups, then again with the TT.
    If photos, such as campsitephotos.com or ones on a reservations site, don't help, satellite photos may help, or call the campground, if possible.

16. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen Member

Usually "tent only" means "non-electric." Besides campsite-specific "tent only" rules, the only real problem I have had is when the "tent area" is on a sort-of "raised bed", such as a rectangle made of railroad ties and filled with dirt or pea gravel. The railroad ties are too high to back the Pup wheels onto, but you can back them right up to the edge of the box. The driveway may still not be long enough for both your Pup and tow vehicle (especially with the bunks out). In that case, you may need to park the car in the overflow lot and have just the Pup on your site.

17. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I got the pup on tent sight platform. Tires sunk 3 inches into the pea gravel. Awning out was right at railroad ties. Step out of screen and into a creekbed

DFA72BCE-B7EF-4DC4-9D5A-C5B705B81475.jpeg

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I bring extra boards for under the tires if needed. You never know! Leveling blicks or wood can get you over rr ties ect. Just bring some extra wood woth you. I find its better to have more leveling stuff then less. Just incase.

19. 1REDBEARD

1REDBEARD Active Member

We personally have never done it. The last Campground we went to didn't allow it. plus the tent sites didn't have power hookup.

20. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We've booked Fort Pickens through recreation.gov and it tells what equipment is allowed on each site once you have the site in your cart. There are two tent only loops that do not allow trailers of any kind and other sites that have height restrictions and all are clearly stated. Maybe try a dummy booking and see what comes up as you progress.