Tent sleep system for overweight / obese people.

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by dbhost, Jul 1, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

We all know, or should know, that a good nights sleep is important for your health. Typically speaking most tent camping beds leave a LOT to be desired for overweight / obese campers of which I am clearly in that range... Airbeds are typically too low to the ground, and many don't support sufficient weight limits.

We also should have the decent sense to know that many people find outdoor activity a good way to help fight their struggles with weight...

I have found some conflicting info, but I am going by what is on the product label. I assume there are changes over the years.

I am using cots. Specifically Stansport Big Ol Cot which is an 86" x 42" sleep surface 19" high with a 600lb weight limit. The specs match, and the pics match what they are selling as the Heavy Duty GI Cot.

I top it with an early 90s Therm A Rest Camp Rest, 3" self inflating sleeping pad. But still not soft enough. On top of that, I have a 6" cut to fit convoluted memory foam topper. That gives me 9" of "mattress". I wrap the mattress with an old sheet that I use these elastic sheet tensioner things that look like suspenders and then top off with my regular bedding. Sleeping bag etc...

The drawback to this setup is most tents have walls that come IN very fast.

We set up the cot on each side wall and set up an AC in the back wall of the tent in the summer. We have plenty of room to move around the tent, and do what we need to and be comfortable.

2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Camp cots are nice because you can put stuff under them.

3. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

There is another style of tent called cabin tents meant for outfitters. They have straight walls.
    That would give you more room.

4. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

You are quite right. Outfitter tents however are not something my back is going to tolerate well for setup, transport and takedown.

Yes Dome tents tend to slope in FAST,

Mind you, IF I can get my wife to actually help with setup, and it would be HER preferred setup anyway, our old Swiss Gear Appenzell which varies from the photo ONLY in the color of the fabric, instead of the wine color ours is a medium darkish blue.

[​IMG]

Anyway IF I can get her to help set up that tent, I get TONS of standing room, Easy setup for the AC, those eyebrow windows allow me to just moosh the unit up against the screen and act like an AC boot. I close off the one side room with the AC in it for sleeping and sakes alive that thing is like sleeping in the house...

FWIW, Alternative system #2. And this works and has been tested and bad back approved.

While the Intex Double High Twin Dura Beam airbed lists a 300lb capacity, the queen version of the same mattress with the same exact materials and construction methods lists at 600lbs. I can and do at 380lbs use the twin with no problems.
    [​IMG]
    This is NOT without risks though.

#1. I know I am exceeding the rated weight limit. Can't help it yet...
    #2. Needs a pump. I have a Coleman 4D quickpump, it works, but IF it breaks and we are too far away to get another pump, we could be in trouble.
    #3. Air leaks / holes. They happen. Keep a patch kit handy.

The airbeds are much more comfortable long run, but they make me nervous to use due to the limitations of a vinyl airbed....

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm not overweight however I always had trouble with air mattresses. I always seem to wake up with my butt on the ground almost like a "v" position. I ultimately just used a thermarest directly on the ground. Kind of like if you can't beat them join them. Problem I have is getting back up. Sure not as young and spry as I once was. Now that I have the popup I don't have to worry about that much but still take my tent out on occasion. I probably should have done the cot from the beginning would have been less headaches or rather body aches.

6. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I orignally posted this thread in other camping for those still tenting. And yeah, Air mattresses do have some risk.

Funny story about that. When I was single I went camping with a singles camping group, one of the women had an Ozark Trail air mattress that aired down on the first night. My Coleman Queen size stayed aired up. She was going to throw out the OT... I offered to trade her. That night the OT stayed aired up, and the Coleman aired down. We figured out that when she pumped it up, she didn't put the cap fully back on the mattress, and as she moved at night, the valve flexed just enough to let a bit of air out... We aired her up again, locked the cap on the way it is supposed to be and night 3 was perfect for her.

We are still friends to this day, and she still is using that same Coleman queen Air mattress. From 2005.

Mind you, she's no small woman either...

7. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

My wife has this problem every time she goes out with the girl scouts, she hates tent camping with a red hot passion. Nothing ever works out for her tent, air mattress, chair, you name it. I pack and label everything, to make matters worst for her when I take our daughter camping everything is awesome. Even if things go wrong it does not bother us.