Tenting is super tight when popped up

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by strangiato, Sep 6, 2020.

1. strangiato

strangiato Active Member Gold Supporting Member

Hi All,
    When we crank up the top on our (first) NTU pup, the tenting on the sides is super tight, which makes it difficult to open and close the zippered side windows - even to the point that the zippers start to pull apart. All of the bunk end windows are easy-peasy to open and close. The velcro attachment to the door frame is also super tight.
    The problem is that If we don't crank it up that far, the door will not latch into place at the top and will not open because it hits the edge of the roof.
    Is this normal?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Lube the zippers. I have no idea of the tenting you have or its age , but it can shrink. It will also expand and stretch with heat.

3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

It might be helpful to know what pop up you have.

4. strangiato

It's the 2017 Somerset Chesapeake in my sig, so it has Sunbrella. I am assuming that the tenting is original, since it's only a few years old. It's in very good condition, other than a tear from where I found it was caught between the lift pole and the roof, which I was able to fix.

Since we did not buy it brand new, I don't know the history of it.

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Put some bar soap on the zippers. Then try them. It should be tight enough to keep out bugs and be taunt. But the windows should un zip.

6. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Are u pulling the canvas over the bunk enk ends before zipping?
    I unzip my canvas 3/4 of the way to help when tearing down and tucking in canvas.
    When i am setting up
    I leave the canvas loose and do not slide canvas over bunk ends before zipping the canvas closed.
    EDIT...i misread post...are your shepard poles that hold the roof canvas up adjustable?...if so loosen them up and it may help add some slack in the canvas.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  7. strangiato

I'll play around with that when we go camping this weekend. The shepherd poles are not fitting too tight. In fact, I replaced the clip on the end of one of them, so I had to cut the pole an inch shorter, but have still had the window zippers problem after that. I think that pole is in its shortest setting, so I would need to drill new holes to adjust it shorter. The other pole can adjust shorter, but the bunk end tenting is not tight at all, just the sides.

8. strangiato

We had it set up in the driveway all weekend, and I did indeed notice that in the afternoon when it was warm, the zippers did move easier. I guess that's a good thing, since we likely wouldn't be opening the windows when it's cold.

9. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

You may have a little leeway in adjusting the roof. On my pup I can drop it down a couple clicks to settle it down on to the door, which also takes a smidge of tension off the canvas too. Also make sure your shepherd poles are properly adjusted, there are more holes than needed so you may have them too tight.

10. strangiato

I'll have to play around with the exact height. There might be a sweet spot that I haven't found yet, but it seems that it is either too high and the tenting is tight, or it is too low and I can't open the door. Another problem is, I don't want to adjust the height too much at that point because the bunks are extended and stabs are down.