Terlinagua Chili Cookoff!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by JAprilson, Sep 27, 2013.

1. JAprilson

JAprilson New Member

Just wanted to know if anyone has been to the Teringua Chili Cookoff in Terlingua Texas? The DW and I are going in about a month and not sure what to expect really. I've seen some pictures online but that's really about it. There isn't a "Things To Do At The Chili Cookoff" website unfortunately. We have been to Big Bend and and Terlingua and love it out there. I'm sure we will eat some great chili and drink some adult beverages but just wondering if it's like a festival with booths or is it strictly cooking with alot of grown up beverages? Either way we are really looking forward to it!
    Viva Terlingua!!!

I will give a rundown on how it goes when we get back...including pictures.

2. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

I have a friend that accumulated enough points in the state cookoffs to be invited to the big one in Terlingua a few years back. I keep thinking I would like to compete... one of these days... We went to one of the local ones, seems mostly like a long day of beer drinking. [8D]

For those interested, the Chili Appreciation Society sanctions the regional events and hosts the annual Terlingua International Chili Championship.

http://www.chili.org/terlingua.html

3. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

I've been there several times, but never during the cook-off. I have talked to residents about it and they said it's crazy there then. I'll be going back next year too, but in the spring. [:(]

Here's a good link: http://ghosttowntexas.com/chilicookoff.html

There are a few R rated You-tube vids available too. Looks a lot like Mardi Gras in the desert - but less hot girls and no beads.

Chip

4. WendyLouWho

WendyLouWho Wendy & Marlin

I have also been there quite a few times growing up. Fun time then, but now as I have grown, and apparently the the chili fest has also, it's become an event. HUGE. We plan to go to Terlingua in Oct to look at a friend's land for permaculture (my dh's side business outside of teaching high school English, he's a permaculture teacher and designer).