Tesla or other Electric Truck

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Dback2k4, Oct 10, 2019.

Would you ever pull a pup with an EV?

1. Absolutely!

2. Under the right circumstances

3. Never!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Well-Known Member

All POLITICS about Electric Vehicles COMPLETELY ASIDE (i.e. whether they're better for the environment or not, total cost of ownership, government subsidies, etc) I'm considering getting an electric truck in the next couple of years to replace my 14 GMC Sierra that I pull my boat and Rockwood pup with. Maybe the new Tesla truck that's supposed to be unveiled next month, or maybe Ford's new Electric F150 they're working on.

The Tesla is supposed to have up to 500 or more miles of range, granted pulling the camper will reduce that a bit. An added benefits of being able to "top off" my camper's batteries when boondocking would be kinda cool.

Anybody else given this any thought? Other factors to consider?

2. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

I said no, but that's out of total ignorance of the Tesla truck.

If they come up with something that's viable, I would not be opposed to it. I have driven a (non-plug-in) hybrid since 2014.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Tbh , i havent thought of buying a truck that , 1 isnt on the market, or 2 tested for a few years. When its actually available and ready to test maybe ill look at them.

kcsa75 likes this.
  4. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

I have enough trouble trying to keep my camper battery charged. Another battery to charge is not in my future.

Ductape, kitphantom and xxxapache like this.
  5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Nope....my last single day pull was 600+ miles.

Westcoast likes this.
  6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Until the time arrives that I would not have to plan a trip around charging stations and sitting around waiting for a full charge, I would never think about it.

I have read that even a partial charge to get you 100 miles takes 30 minutes. And that it not considering a vehicle that is towing something.

Westcoast, kgesiako and xxxapache like this.
  7. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I might consider a hybrid, but the fear of sitting on the side of the road 50 miles from nowhere with no place to charge is real to me.

Westcoast likes this.
  8. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Stay at a campground with 50A hookups and you get free fuel ;)

I’ve been in the R-Pod owners group on Facebook for a little while now for research purposes (shh, don’t tell my pup). This family is towing their pod with a Model X. They are very happy with the setup, though it does take considerable planning for long road trips. They got a nice write up on this site:

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...-a-tesla-model-x-thank-elon-for-superchargers

Mike76, Spridle and Dback2k4 like this.
  9. Dback2k4

That is a very interesting account of "how it can be done"... I'm certainly more intrigued now!!

Rusty2192 likes this.
  10. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

The Rivian is very interesting.

11. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for them! As soon as something out there is capable, it's mine.

How long will I have to wait for an electric truck that will have at least 3500lb payload for my slidein camper, 4 wheel drive, and a 600 mile range though?

We leased electric cars when we were commuting and they are a joy to drive and maintain. When our current run-about-town car dies, it'll be replaced with electric. I'll probably keep our diesel truck as long as it's practical though. I live on a major fault and I need something that is not dependent on the electric grid. (I could also say, I need something that isn't dependent on PG&E. :( )

Caravaner likes this.
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

You not only have to consider distances, but terrain. My work has been purchasing ZEV and hybrids over the past several years. The ZEVs don't handle mountainouse/hilly terrain well. The X number of miles on a single charge drops significantly as soon as you get into the hills.

If I were towing a vehicle behind an RV, I would consider a ZEV. If I am towing an RV with a vehicle, I would go with a plug in hybrid. You get the benefits of a fully electric, without losing the benefits of the combustion engine.

1380ken likes this.
  13. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

If they can get the battery situation figured out, an electric motor has all kinds of torque and would make a great tow vehicle. But they need to work on the styling. This thing takes ugly to a new level.

musk-hints-tesla-pickup-truck-will-make-ram-seem-puny.jpg

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

That’s just a random person’s guess of what the Tesla truck will look like. We’ll know soon enough. But I agree, that picture is hideous, as are most other guesses as to what it might look like.

Even if the Tesla is weird looking (Elon has said it will be cyber-punk and not for everyone), there are more traditional looking trucks on the way, assuming they actually make it to market.

After Tesla, the Rivian R1T is the next most likely to succeed. They have huge investments from Ford and Amazon, so there must be fire to go with the smoke. Amazon just recently put in an order for 100,000 vans to use for deliveries. Their truck is still futuristic, but a little more subdued.

C5ED478F-426E-4B25-BDF7-1CC8E2DA2206.jpeg

At the complete opposite end of the design spectrum is Bollinger. You can’t get any more traditional that a box. They are still very much in the early stages and still vaporware at this point.

BBB391D2-2410-4A0E-9234-CF3D71721FDD.jpeg

The Atlis kind of splits the difference. Again, still vaporware.

610C9E51-4D4C-4C28-A2A9-B7557DCDE064.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  15. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Active Member Platinum Supporting Member

16. tfischer

That thing makes the Pontiac Aztek look beautiful by comparison.

WVhillbilly and kcsa75 like this.
  17. tfischer

I don't think I've ever heard a truck owner complain about their gas mileage. They'll brag about its power, generate huge puffs of black smoke, and if I ever ask about mileage, they'll shrug, look mildly annoyed, and say "oh it sucks, but I don't care about that"

kcsa75 likes this.
  18. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

I like the concept and I am glad Tesla and Ford are coming out with one. I think its best suited for fleet trucks that do not drive very far and can charge at the home base every night. I am thinking all the local landscape trucks that might drive 60 miles a day at most, but get less than 10 miles to a gallon on those types of trips.

For towing the issue is infracture. Will campgrounds be able to put out enough amps to run both RV's and charge EV's, unlikely for a while.

Solar is not really an option. The system on my house can output 30 kW-hours on a very good day, but averages around 20. The Tesla has an 85kW-hr batter so that's 3-4 days to charge it. A good high end RV system might be able to output 5kW-hr per day, many are closer to 1.

19. Dback2k4

That's one thing that has me leaning towards Tesla, their Supercharger network is far more advanced in terms of availability and charging speed than other third party charging networks that Ford or Rivian will have to rely on.

20. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I think it's great how far they have come for these type of cars, but personally I feel it's not quite there yet where they can be very reliable on trips outside of being a grocery/work transport. Around here there are very few gas/rest stations that even have electricity much less enough to charge a car fully. I'd doubt we'll ever see state parks provide enough power to charge at least not for a very long time from now. National parks probably never. Maybe a private campground but then you will have to question how much they are going to charge you to use the power. Just my 2 cents.

kitphantom likes this.