Tesla or other Electric Truck

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Dback2k4, Oct 10, 2019.

Would you ever pull a pup with an EV?

1. Absolutely!

2. Under the right circumstances

3. Never!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Depending on what time of night it is gas can be hard to find here still :D

2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

All electric cars should have a small generator for emergencies. At least until the charging infrastructure is more mature. It could be any fuel source, even a solar panel would be better than nothing.

3. Caravaner

Caravaner Member

nah wasted space/weight/complexity if 1) not only vehicle 2) live somewhere where a car isn't needed everyday like cities or places with good public transportation/Uber.

I specifically searched out a battery-only BMW i3 as a second family car (other is a good old gas powered Town and Country) and it's ~125mile range has been more than enough as a daily driver. Charge full every day at work or home and rarely drop below 25% battery capacity.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Thats great if you have both a short commute to work and a place to charge it while there. But thats probably not the norm. Additionally ,some like me, need the ability of the 4 wd in addition to being able to operate in natural disasters. I can get gas in those situations, but electricity isn't avalibe now ( or in the foreseeable future )for those situations.

5. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I'm playing devil's advocate here. I'm a Tesla fanboy, but I'm also very practical that not all situations are met by the current design.

That said:
    How do you fill up your gas tank in a natural disaster? No power, no gas. I've never seen a gas station with a generator.

The norm? You are not the norm. MANY studies show the average driver drives 30 miles per day. Period.
    Be honest, how many people function in natural disasters? How many people go 4-wheeling. (I'm assuming that's what you meant, not AWD, cause many Electric cars have AWD).
    Heck, how many people you know that think camping is a fun time? (Many of my family don't get it).

I'm a Mega Commuter. (travel 90 minutes or more and 50 miles or more to work, one-way.) This is different than an extreme commuter which is only one of those (50 miles, or 90 minutes, but not both).
    A Model S or a Model 3 (or even a Cybertruck) has more than enough range to do my 180 mile round trip commute each day, only charging at home.

As for the lines, you are right, the infrastructure is not where it needs to be. But that is being built. "...upcoming 250 kW-capable V3 Superchargers, capable of giving 75 miles worth of charge to a Model 3 in just five minutes, beginning in 2020...)

These signs are still common, so it's not just an electric car problem:
    [​IMG]

Follow up question, how many miles do you drive in a natural disaster?

Caravaner likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

I have to go to and from work, just like all the first responders in my area, its congested in the tri state area and most commute. Fuel is provoded by the town you work in. So they have pumps and generators. They do not have any way to charge electric vehicles nor do they have any infrastructure in place now or the forseeable future for that. Its not in the budget, tbh no one has even asked. It has to be the norm before it will have money spent on it. And right now it isnt. As for millage, like you said it depends on traffic also. So my normally 40 min dive to work averages about 1 hr and 15 mins during rush hour. Avrage travel time to work in nj is roughly 35 mins. But that factors in the whole state. As taxes are much higher the closer you get to nyc, many of those workers live more then an hour away. Snd while not the norm for most it is so for most first responders in my area. ( teachers also).

Caravaner likes this.
  7. Caravaner

Caravaner Member

For sure we're not at the point where it's feasible to get rid of ALL gas/diesel vehicles.
    What I took issue with was the statement "All electric cars should have a small generator for emergencies.".
    Millions and millions of Americans could replace their daily-driven ICE vehicle with a pure-electric EV with no need for a "range extender". A home 240V "level 2" charger will recharge the battery fully overnight for the equivalent cost of refilling the tank of ICE car that gets >100mpg.
    Sure it's not yet practical for a majority of apartment dwellers (I was one for a loooong time so no offense intended) or those in a city without widespread charging network, but for a very large percentage of drivers 125++ miles of range per charge is more than sufficient for a daily driver.

PS: thanks to SJM and all other first responders! And teachers :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. This actually brings up a very good point. I live near DC and if a disaster happens my go-to place is a good 2.5 hour drive from here. Would an all electric car be able to handle a drive like that without a charge? I sure as heck wouldn't want to have to track down a charge station in an emergency.
    SJM9911 brings up a good point...traffic. Like him a normal 25 min drive on a "good" weekend
    is a good hour + in rush hour traffic. Parking garages etc don't have charge stations yet so the next charge probably wouldn't be until you get home again which means yet another hour + of traffic. Add snow to the mix... oh man, it takes hours.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

There are several here, natural gas powered usually.
    Electrical grid is about as trustworthy as the weather here.

10. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Traffic won’t impact an EV much at all since it isn’t constantly burning fuel while sitting still like an engine. Some will be used for climate control and the electronics, but it will be a fraction of what’s used by an engine idling. Even the tiny battery in my Prius (compared to an EV) can maintain A/C and power the car in stop and go traffic for 10-15 minutes on a hot day before it fires up the engine to recharge it. Going slow in traffic actually benefits an EV since wind resistance is the biggest obstacle.

11. Sjm9911

12. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I'm not on board with electric yet. How are you going to head up to the mountains, spend a week off grid, and still have power to make it back to civilization? Maybe if they can get the range / recharging / reliability issues sorted at a reasonable cost, I might see electric as a viable alternative, But for now, with the places I like to go, internal combusion for me for the foreseeable future.

kitphantom likes this.
  13. Sjm9911

Its going to get worse i think. I like the idea but the delivery isnt there yet. Tesla superchargers seem great. But there aren't many of them and they are proprietary. So , when the other electrics hit the market, ford , chevy , and the 2 other start up companies how will this all play out? Without a fast charge option it will only be for local use. Now if tesla was smart it would sell the tec to the competitors for charging. That would at least solidify that they would always be in buisness as the only fast charging station. The more i think about it the more I'll sit on the sidelines and see how it all plays out.

14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Sjm9911 likes this.