Tesla or other Electric Truck

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Dback2k4, Oct 10, 2019.

Would you ever pull a pup with an EV?

1. Absolutely!

2. Under the right circumstances

3. Never!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Nothing is “official” quite yet, even the range, but max towing and payload will be 10,000 lbs/1,800 lbs for the bigger battery and 7,700 lbs/2,000 lbs for the smaller battery. They are all built with the same chassis and cab, all 4x4, etc. so the only reductions should be just from the weight of the extra bells and whistles on the high end ones. Listening to the engineers, if I’m not mistaken the front and rear motors are the same and even the same motors between the two battery sizes, though they restrict output some with the smaller battery (426 vs 563 HP, but both the same 775 lb-ft torque).

2. teh603

teh603 Member

Honestly, I'd only consider an electric pickup if someone could make one that fit closer into the '90s Ranger (or even a late '90s F-150) size. The new truck designs are just too bulky, and don't have enough of a tow cap gain to be worth it.

Also, charging stations. Can we get them installed in parks?

3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

I saw a charging station at Santee State Park in SC. There are charging stations at Sesquicentennial and Paris Mountain State Parks, also.
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/271659

4. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

If you're at a 50A site just bring your charger unit along ;)

Dback2k4 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Untill everyone does that and poof no volts. Its not set up gor everyone to be using high amprage all the time. Not yet anyway.

xxxapache and tfischer like this.
  6. Rusty2192

Just heard by a great bit of information on the latest episode of the Wheel Bearings podcast. Ford says they are working with their charger partners like Electrify America to start installing pull-through chargers. Since these are all 3rd party universal chargers all EVs will be able to use them, including Teslas, with the right adapter.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

So its still a long way out.

8. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Umm..... Most parks have electric loops. Infact, there is quite a few people traveling the Southwest in electric cars that reserve campsites for a day just to use the RV electric pedestal. 50Amp 240 service will fill the car up in a couple of hours.

9. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I thought I read somewhere that the 10,000lbs limit was more going over that means you have to have a CDL, or something like that....

10. McSkippy

McSkippy Active Member

Correct, towing a trailer over 10,000 lbs. requires a Class A CDL.

11. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I really don’t know how I feel about this one.

most of our social circle - and really our neighborhood- have one plug in electric out of two or three cars.

The model tends to be that there is one bigger, stronger, “family road trip” vehicle that is gas or hybrid and one runabout that is electric.

We live on the island of Montreal, so there is a good charger network when not plugged in at home - plus carpool lanes and dedicated parking spots. Those benefits largely outweigh the gas savings. Electricity is cheap and environmentally sound (hydroelectric is great if the dam is already built. The nightmare was when they built it). Also, commutes are usually under 40km each way so range isn’t an issue.

I keep cars until they really die and my current two are a 2008 and a 2016 (both Volvos) so they are likely to last for a while. I assume we will replace one with an electric too, especially as new cars sold in Quebec must be electric by 2030 and I’m hoping the 2008 makes it to then.

BUT I also never ever assumed that my first electric would be the big family tow car.

it’s interesting to see the tech take off

12. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Nor will it ever be at a lot of places, at least in current members on these boards lifetimes.

PA state parks are a great example. At most the majority of electric sites are 30 amp and were wired in the late 70's or early 80's. Those sites suffer electrically on crowded weekends. When sites are upgraded its only a few sites at a time or maybe a dozen or two, and even then 50 amp sites are not designed for all sites to be at full load concurrently. The state neglects the parks as they are always in the red and its only getting worse post Covid. To install charging stations in campground loops you would need dedicated circuits just for the chargers. Maybe by 2060 or 2070.

Until EVs hit close to the range I can get with a ICE while towing a load, I'll pass. They're a little short at present, especially so in mountain/hill country.

kitphantom and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

On of the RV newsletters I read recently had an article about how much electric vehicles are, and will be, impacting campgrounds - and they mostly focus on private ones, so you have to assume public ones tend to be lagging yet farther behind.
    I've been in campgrounds where power levels went down in late afternoon, to the point my EMS cut power for low voltage. I was in the midst of RVs, and as people cranked up 1 or 2 air conditioning units, cooked supper, and who knows what all, the system just couldn't keep up. Charging electric vehicles on top of that would be nightmarish, especially for those dependent on shore power. Many of the public campgrounds we use don't have power hookups at all, although some have them for hosts, and to run pumps for the waster system. Last I knew, the water system at Devil's Garden Campground in Arches relied on solar power, after years of using diesel generators, I think the restroom lights were on the same system. I have to admit, the advent of solar systems for some of the most remote places has been great.
    Electricity to charge vehicles has to come from somewhere. Although people pretend it appears out of thin air, it really doesn't - solar and wind farms are proving to have a shorter lifespan than predicted, there's the whole need to mine and produce those facilities, and do something with them as they wear out. Same with the batteries or whatever in electric vehicle. The grid isn't up to it all - look at what happened this winter with the storms in Texas and the region.
    Our goal is to keep tabs on what is going on, and replace our vehicles before we're out of options for gas engines. (Hard for us, since we tend to keep our vehicles for a good 20 years, outside of accidents or having a lemon.)

14. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

My current TV is an '88 Chevy ext cab, long bed 1500 series pickup. It is worn out. I have replaced most of everything (2003 engine, 2007 transmission, 2009 differential, 2018 front end). The body is starting to rust badly, the interior is in bad shape, no AC, limited heat (and can't shut off the heater core from the cab). I signed up for the Cybertruck last year but it is looking like 2023 before I get it.

As a stop gap (and to reduce wear on the truck), I am getting a Model Y LR with tow package in September. I have seen a lot of videos on it including camp mode (intriguing) and families towing large full-size (single axle) campers, so my Coleman Popup should be fine. The charging network in the Pacific NW is building up rapidly (Detroit Lake had one before the devastating fires last year took out the town). Planning a trip requires a little extra for route planning, but nothing major. And there are apps with charge stations mapped out that can download planned routes from your phone to your Tesla.

I won't get rid of my truck entirely until my Cybertruck is ready (can't haul a load of dirt in the Model Y). When it comes, I will either use the model Y as a trade in (they have phenomenal resale value), or convince the wife to keep it and trade in her 2018 Subaru Outback. We'll see.

Rusty2192 and Eric Webber like this.
  15. Sjm9911

Good luck with that. Dod you watch the towing vids in the usa? Where the stations are full and they have to drop the camper blocks away to plug in? If it works for you its a good deal, but as more people get them, and the infastruture isnt set up for powering towed stuff it could be a real pita. Keep us posted......i figure in a few years we will have real life testing. But for now ots just speculation.

xxxapache and kitphantom like this.
  16. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I don't understand why they wouldn't put a small 50 hp engine in these electric trucks, just in case you run out of electric range. At least until a charging infrastructure is more developed.

17. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Yeah, not sure why they don't use a small engine to run the electric motors like a train locomotive. A small engine uses a lot less fuel than if it was driving the drivetrain.

18. Rusty2192

Awesome! It looks like you’ll probably be the first one on the Portal towing with an EV. When the Model Y comes in you should start a new thread to document everything.

19. Rusty2192

Ford’s Chief of EVs was on an episode of the InsideEVs podcast and talked about how the F-150 Lightning will be able to accurately predict range and charging navigation when towing. The clip is below and he actually goes on for a little longer with more details but I’m limited to just a 1.5 minute clip. The entire 45 minute interview with him was great, but this was the most interesting in terms of towing.

Basically, you program each of your trailers in the truck and give it dimensions and the truck uses the new load sensor scales to measure the weight. Then you drive for 10 minutes and the truck learns exactly how much power is used to tow the trailer and uses that give an accurate range and plan charging stops and times accordingly. He said their goal is to have it within 5% every time, regardless of terrain or weather since the truck will take that into account when calculating everything. They are already using the system in the background of the Mach E to test and perfect it.

https://overcast.fm/+Zqeo18Jyw/36:47

David Blackwell likes this.
  20. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Active Member Platinum Supporting Member

Ford's Engineering Manager was also interviewed on TFL Talk at:
    Towing began at 11:48 and a discussion of Ford's Intelligence Range capability began at 14:50 to 15:44.
    Nice having choices but I'm really having a hard time deciding: Lightening, Rivian or Tundra