Tesla or other Electric Truck

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Dback2k4, Oct 10, 2019.

Would you ever pull a pup with an EV?

1. Absolutely!

2. Under the right circumstances

3. Never!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol, he didnt say anything about how the towing would effect range. Other guy said , about 1/3 of total range like on tested for tesla, etc. So if that were the case it would leave you with 80 miles max range. 100 if you spring for the top of the line model. That for me would be a pr disaster. Not saying it would preform better just shows it will be similar. Good luck!

2. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Active Member Platinum Supporting Member

I wanted to take a moment to note that Musk has made public statements that he intends to allow non-Tesla vehicles to charge at Tesla facilities. He's rather vague as to timing, late 2021, but I'm guessing it will eventually happen. The side issue of appropriate charging connectors/adapters for Tesla and non-Tesla EVs has yet to be resolved.

3. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Active Member Platinum Supporting Member

The title of this YouTube video is a bit of a misnomer in that it has very little Rivian content. The author does a very good job of laying out the trade-offs between ICE vs EV. He was especially interesting to me when he discussed the effects of towing with an EV. (Which is something I've been trying to quantify.) The video comments/postings have more than a few quibbles about the author's failure to perfectly account for several factors in the assumptions and comparisons he makes. However, I found it very helpful in analyzing whether my replacement tow vehicle can be an EV.

(6) Can the Rivian R1T Tow Without Major Range Loss? - YouTube

4. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

IMHO if EV's are to become mainstream, someone needs to enforce a charging standard. If the industry refuses, then government needs to step in. And I'm normally not a fan of government stepping in.

As charging and battery tech will no doubt keep evolving, the standard will need to be flexible and be both backward and forward compatible.

5. Sjm9911

6. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Haha like I said, not my first choice. But if the industry refuses... Imagine if we didn't have standardization on electrical plugs and you had to make sure all the things you bought matched the brand of outlets in your home.

7. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

The industry is moving towards CCS.

To make your point @Sjm9911, the government is actually hindering this. :)

Right now, there is CHAdeMO, CCS, and Tesla in the wild in North America.

CHAdeMO is being phased out and moving to CCS by the car manufacturers (CCS users are BMW, Daimler, FCA, Ford, Jaguar, General Motors, Groupe PSA, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, MG, Polestar, Renault, Tata Motors and Volkswagen Group)
    Electrify America (One of the biggest charging station companies) announced they will no longer install CHAdeMO, only CCS.

Except in California, who still "requires" CHAdeMO adaptors by regulation.

Heck, even Tesla is expected to announce a "Dongle" next week to allow CCS charging by it's cars.
    Tesla is not going to switch to CCS on it's car's however. Superchargers hit up to 450 kilowatts vs CCS's 350 kilowatts. Plus, it looking to become a revenue source for Tesla, since they also announced they are going to allow 3rd parties to charge at the Superchargers.

But we're effectively down to two competing standards, but in a few months time, they will interoperate with each other. In the next 5 years, we will probably have a clear cut winner.

Rusty2192 likes this.
  8. Sjm9911

Beta or VHS? Lol.

9. Sjm9911

Ill quality that statement, as beta was way better but failed. So we got VHS. So marketing is important. Its not always the best one that wins.

10. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

There’s no “if” about it, they are coming [:D] And sooner that a lot of people think, though tow vehicles will take a little longer to take over. But Ford just made a huge announcement for 3 new factories in KY and TN. Two in KY will build a ton of batteries and a new plant in TN will build the next generation electric F-Series trucks after the Lightning. And they didn’t say F-150, they said F-Series, so Super Duties will undoubtedly be included in that. Realistically, those will most likely be more fleet versions with shorter ranges for like contractors and landscapers that just drive around town all day rather than for towing a fifth wheel across the country, though those will be coming too.

They pretty much are all using the same charger now, CCS, except Tesla. But that’s because Tesla were so far ahead of the curve that no charger standard existed at the time that could support their rate of charge so they had to make their own. They do already have CCS on their cars in Europe where laws require it and they make an official adapter for sale there for older cars with the Tesla plug, but they don’t sell it here yet. There’s more recent rumors that it’s getting closer to coming to the US. There are some third-party adapters. Tesla also has said they plan to open up their Supercharger network to other cars at some point, but who knows when or if that will actually happen and how it will work when it does. Or how much that adapter will cost…

I was disappointed to hear that Rivian is going to be building out a network that only works with their trucks, even though they use the same standard CCS charger as virtually everyone except Tesla. I was also hoping that we would be moving past the proprietary charging networks for new entries into the market.

For now, it’s hard to blame Tesla for keeping their Supercharger network proprietary as it’s a huge selling point. I obviously don’t have any first-hand experience (yet ;) ) but from what I’ve seen, so far the third-party universal charging experience is far from ideal and nowhere near the convenience of the Supercharger network, which Tesla spent a ton of time and money to build out. But as the market starts to expand and move towards parity I’m hopeful they will all open up and settle on one standard.