Texas boy looking for a place to stay.

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by skeetercampsintexas, Jun 25, 2014.

1. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Hey all, I'm from Dallas and I have a son who lives in lafayette. Normally I get on the road around 330-400 AM to go pick him up, usually spending about 14 hours driving to get it all done in one day. My pool of people willing to travel with me is getting more and more shallow. The last couple of years I've made the trip alone.

My normal route is I 20 into Shreveport and then 49 straight down into lafayette. I'm looking for a nice state park for myself in a tent for a one night stay to help ease the pain of sitting for 14 hours in a vehicle. Hoping that breaking it up into a 2 day trip may make the load a bit easier to bear.

Anyone have any suggestions on a place to stay the night in a tent that isn't too far off 49? Pictures? Suggestions for sightseeing while killing a bit of time?

Any help would be appreciated!!

2. froggie

froggie New Member

http://grandbayouresort.com/
    I have never stayed here, but I have heard good things about the park. It is near I-49. We live near Lake Bistineau State Park, close to Shreveport in Webster Parish. Easy access to I-20 and I-49. Park is nice.

3. froggie

froggie New Member

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/southern/kisa.htm
    Kisatchie National Forest has some nice sites as well. Right off of I-49 near Nachitoches and Clothierville, there is a really nice campground. No electric, but they have water. Caney Lake near Minden is also really nice. w/e/s.

4. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Looks like there are several campgrounds within the national forest. Which would you recommend, or which do you think would be most easily accessed from 49?

5. froggie

froggie New Member

I can't really remember the name of the best one. Look at each cg and find one the one with water. Most are primitive, but they may be what you're looking for.

6. Indy

Indy Member

This is an old thread so maybe you have an answer by now, Skeeter, but I just saw it looking through Louisiana reviews. Mat and I stayed at Beaver Dam Campground in Kisatchie National Forest (near Minden) and it was really nice. It's been a few years, but it was one of our favorite sites. (Poor Mat though - I had inadvertently booked it on the first day of LA hunting season, and everyone else in the park was enjoying hunting in the national forest ... but he had no LA license.)