Thank you to all friendly campers out there

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by MOSCDENC, Nov 12, 2019.

1. MOSCDENC

MOSCDENC Member

4. Also known as the number of camping trips it took to forget the crank for the popup. Why I didn't just store it in the popup I don't know, but I have two so from now one is going to be permanently in the popup and the other in the jack storage area of the TV. Thankfully there were a bunch of PU's out on Saturday and only took be three stops before I found one what fit mine and they were gracious enough to lend it to me for a bit.

Didn't need it for take down as the flat tapered end of a tire iron worked well enough to crank it down and used my hands to put up the stabilizers, but definitely panicked for few minutes when I realized it was 2 1/2 hours away in the garage.

neighbormike and Rik Peery like this.
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Amazing how such a small thing can be so critical in setup. Good thing there were multiple popups there. If that happened to me I guess I will be finding a tent,not too many popups out this time of year. I nearly lost my crank on the side of a highway as I left it in the crank slot, but remembered just as I merged on the road. Thankfully it didn't fall off before then.

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Happens in all aspects of outdoor stuff for sure; left the release for my bow one time several years ago, got up in the treestand & realized it was missing, was close enough I could drive back to the house, it was on a bench by the door, stupid on my part for not doing a precheck...worse yet, a pal humped 2 miles back up in the mountains & realized he'd left his 3 round mag & extra ammo sitting in his truck seat, his look was priceless lol...I try to have double of some things, & the wife has a checklist for camping etc...if it can happen, it usually will...

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I have two of those Harbor Freight ammo boxes that I use for all my setup gear. Duplicate equipment in each and one stays in the camper, one stays in the truck. Kept with each of those boxes are a lift crank, a stabilizer crank, and a rubber mallet.
    Inside each "Setup Box" is the following:
    • Electric Lift Control
    • Head-Lamp
    • Flashlight
    • Work Cloves
    • Stakes (for Awning)
    • Rope
    • Electric Adapters (30 amp to 15 amp and 15 amp to 30 amp)
    • Chemical Light Sticks
    • Liter
    • And few other items
    Another trick for your cranks is to "candy-stripe" them with some red duct tape. Easier to find when you put them down in the dark and will give them a little more gripping power in your hand.

Rik Peery likes this.
  5. MOSCDENC

MOSCDENC Member

Oh I like that idea. That and putting the trailer/camper keys on something obnoxious large so I can't help but see them in the dark.

6. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Our rule is the camper has it's own inventory. If a screwdriver is need to tighten something in the TV that's sitting in the driveway the camper's screwdriver isn't used. You have to go to the basement and get the general use screwdriver. The camper sits on the driveway pad erected. If it doesn't leave the camper it's always in the camper.

Exceptions: bedding. generator, photographic equipment, refrigerated food, drinking water containers

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I used a Sharpie and put a "C" on all the tools I keep in the camper. Even every individual socket in the set.

8. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We do the same. Anything that moves in and out of the camper, is commonly forgotten to be brought along. [V]

Econ likes this.
  9. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Percolator moves from PUP to tent stuff. It got forgotten last PUP trip. Now PUP has dedicated percolator.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Arlyn Aronson, Rik Peery and kcsa75 like this.