Thankgiving, Kisatchie National Forest, Caney Lake (Beaver Dam Campground)

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Tom Jordan, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Member

Thanksgiving Camping is Good! Stayed 4 nights, hosted some family visits, and visited family in the area. Very few people camping at Caney Lake near Minden, Louisiana this year. We worked hard at soaking up the excess beauty so it wouldn't go to waste.

Other than a few rain showers, the weather was pleasant (40's at night). At times the lake was glass smooth. Somehow our reservation was messed up and the space was double booked. Thank the Lord, it worked to our favor because we got one of the unreservable sites that is one of the best spots in the park; and we've never seen it open before. Some pics attached.

The facilities need some work (bathrooms and showers), but there are brand new picnic tables and new high fire rings all through the campground. I really don't like the new fire rings. They are clearly made to keep the fire in (see pics), but are a pain in the rear for cooking or fire-gazing or warming yourself. I will definitely need to fix my Coleman gas stove before returning. CampCaneyIMG_9633.jpg A Lighted camp IMG_9745.jpg CampCaneyIMG_9633.jpg A Lighted camp IMG_9745.jpg sittin EF49448C-4B02-4CEC-9C52-32A7B9961D0C.jpeg DPineReflectionIMG_9632.jpg B Firepit IMG_9742.jpg firepit 13F8C35D-E03E-45BD-88CE-4085B50BAE36.jpeg

gibbons19 and hq308 like this.
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Sounds like a great adventure and lots of memories were made. I agree I do not really like the fire ring either but a tripod would have probably worked for cooking. nice pictures Thanks for sharing

3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing! The pictures sure make me miss camping already!

4. gibbons19

gibbons19 New Member

Hey Tom, I like your camping story. Those images are nice.

I'm thinking of checking out Caney Lake near Minden.

D Jordan likes this.