thanksgiving - 3 days to camp! but where?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Katskamper, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

several of my fave ACE parks on lake Whitney are closed (flooding problems from last month?)

the park that was maxxed out last year seems strangely empty & available this year. do i trust the data?

the state and federal reserve systems have changed drastically.
    have you had any issues with Texas parks site or reserve dot gov?

im still watching the weather, & will decide thursday night, pack clothes & make reservations.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I wish I could go camping. No suggestions but good luck finding a place and take pictures. Us northerners need to live though your posts. ;)
    A park that was maxed out one year but not the next tells me a call is in order to see what is going on. It may be there is construction going on. It could also have been a special event that went on last year, but not this year. At least in VA parks website they usually always note if there is a problem, construction etc. reserve.gov usually doesn't provide that info. So I only go to reserve.gov after researching the states website.

3. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I can't help with your question, but a retired couple that camp hosts are one of our favorite COE campgrounds does the same at Lake Whitney. Don't know which one, but their names are Wayne and Janet. Just curious if you know them by chance. [:)C]

4. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

720F1D26-D85F-4A81-A9C2-0BD294E53153.jpeg it rained here tonight, so no decision yet.

my oldest nephew got engaged today. i met her via facetime & she is pretty, smart and likes camping!
    keeper!

im planning a “meet me half way” trip first weekend in January 2019 at Fairfield state park with them. this park is halfway.

electric loops are always asses to elbows crowded- so i like the water only loops. more room.

Tx state parks are “first come first pic”, not reserved by specific site #?

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Sounds like you are in for a great time in Jan. You might re-consider and get a spot with elec. as it will be cold and the heat from an electric heater would probably be much appreciated also if you are using the furnace in the unit you need to re-charge the battery.

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We always headed up to Wichita Mtns Wildlife place North of Lawton OK... It a popular place however and will crowd up on Holiday weekends... We use to live in Wichita Falls TEX and wife is from North Texas country... There is always that small lake RV CAMP site North of Gober TX haha (Forgot the name of it now)... Only have a couple of large ducks there everytime we went haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

7. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

A6877FE8-AC7D-44F5-914D-C08805034F2B.jpeg 0C596A70-AB78-443D-B926-EFD2D5302C41.jpeg 46E42CD1-93A9-43E2-9E54-050FDD83B726.jpeg 46E42CD1-93A9-43E2-9E54-050FDD83B726.jpeg
    i have propane converted gas heaters. i will be in pup, they get to use my big tent & bed. pretty sure they dont want to bunk w me. (wink)
    these vintage bathroom heaters are great! easy to convert with right orifice.