Thanksgiving camping popular???

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by BillyMc, Oct 21, 2018.

1. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Well got the idea to go camping for Thanksgiving this year, but seams a whole lot of others did too! I've checked three campgrounds near the Georgia coast and all were booked the dates I selected (11/21-24/18). Never imagined that many people camping that late in the year.

2. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

Too cold and nasty to go camping then in the pacific northwest. I hope you find some place

3. supersaiyan93

supersaiyan93 Member

Very popular here in the south. We get our best camping weather coming up this time of year. We’re going for Thanksgiving this year with lots of family, and you’re right, the place we are staying at is fully booked.

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I've gone the last three years. I normally take Thursday thru Sunday.
    2017-11-23 15.55.36-1.jpg 2017-11-23 18.45.37.jpg

BillyMc, Orchid and Rik Peery like this.
  5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

DW suggested that today. It's all dependent on the weatherman, but I'm thinking this might be one of the ideas that sounds like a good idea at the time, but not so good in practice.

In our part of the world getting the campsites won't be a problem. [:)C]

6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I've done it. There are usually a few others, but never full.

One thing to remember is that many larger campgrounds may close some loops after the peak season. So the campground may be full, but not like it is in summer.

7. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Y'all should be good to go weather wise, good holiday to spend in the woods & avoid this... 40458212_708737486130173_299264477847617536_n.jpg

8. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We've done that before but we stayed at a "hike to" cabin. We normally have snow by then and had a grand time there.

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I've wanted to but up here the weather gets quite cold so not too many others came out. Besides my mom would never forgive me if I skipped out on visiting her to go camping.

10. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Love Thanksgiving camping. Quiet campgrounds (State Parks) in Oklahoma that time of year.

11. algonquingirl

algonquingirl Active Member

We've camped in Arrowhead in Ontario for Thanksgiving a couple of times. One summer we had on shorts and the next year we had snow!

12. FloridaCampingDude

FloridaCampingDude New Member

Got a week planned at FDR Park in Ga.

13. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We've done extended family Thanksgiving family many years. Not this year, but going next week to make up for it.

14. chevmec1

chevmec1 New Member

Will be at Karcher Caverns in Benson AZ this Thanksgiving, a great well kept facility!

15. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Gee, we'll be on the road to see my family in central SD which we DO need to do after a 2 year hiatus. A camping T day does found like lots of fun!!!

16. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Never been able to do it myself, but I would love to. Too many family obligations to justify bailing on everyone. IF we get a hybrid I do see us giving it a shot though.

17. penny

penny Well-Known Member

we have done Thanksgiving camping. It was great, and I'd like to do it again. It isn't easy to have it as a family holiday, but it was great for the two of us a couple of times.

18. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

My aunt and her family do a Thanksgiving trip together.

I looked at places around here and they seem a bit more crowded - but one campground has no water so has only a small loop open. The other campground seems to have gotten most of the campers for this area because of that, but still only has the one loop open so the campers aremore compacted.

19. Turfit

Turfit New Member

We go either for Thanksgiving or Christmas every year. Second year in a row to spend Christmas in Big Bend National Park, the year before we spent Thanksgiving in Southern New Mexico, and the year before that on the Texas Coast. Great time!!!

20. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We did a Thanksgiving trip to southern NM a few years back, in our first, bare-bones pup. We'd planned to go to the Moab area, but an anticipated winter weather system and escaped gunman (it was the year a UT ranger was shot) made for a change of plans. Weather system headed south, the temps were in the teens at night, so it was OK, but we came home a day early, we ran out of things to do in the cold and windy weather. (No furnace in that tiny pup, we had power for an electric space heater and blanket.)
    4 years ago, we took the then-new TT for Thanksgiving in Tucson, in lieu of staying with our friends or in a hotel. Now that our friends have a small TT, we've been meeting in AZ state parks for Thanksgiving, this was the third year in a row. We make our reservations early in the year, since Snowbird Season is well underway by Thanksgiving. We did Kartchner Caverns SP the first year, the last night got windy and cold, so we headed toward our TTs early on. (Cold is much easier to cope with when it's not windy.) Last year, we were at Lost Dutchman SP. This year, Catalina SP, just outside Tucson - that turned out to be a good thing, since one of our friends ended up having surgery the day before Thanksgiving. They canceled their site, but spent the day with us at camp by Saturday. Busy as the season is, the site they'd reserved was taken every night. We're debating whether to try another SP for next year, or try again for Catalina, we'll make the reservations when I'm out there in Feb or March.