The bad with the good.

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Aladin Sane, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

We had a great weekend camping. It was my wife's family's all camping weekend. The weather was good, we had great food and a fun family time. We were heading down the interstate about a mile from our exit to home, and a suicidal deer ran right into the drivers side door. The deer cartwheeled down the side of the truck, caving in both doors and much of the rear fender before stricking the the front corner of the camper. It caved in the storage trunk and broke the fiberglass side panel. I will see what the insurance company says in the morning.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

It's a shame for a deer to ruin the great feelings you had and enjoyment from the camping trip , Luckily no one was injured. Hopefully the insurance company can give you some relief. It is surprising how much damage an animal can do.
    Good Luck and Keep On Camping

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

It is that time of year.for suicidal deer and moose..

4. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

Driving very early yesterday on CO 14 and I see something up ahead so I start to slow down. Here there are 15 deer in the process of crossing the road. As I got there about 10 of them had crossed and I was able to slow way down and luckily as I passed there were two of them on the shoulder with their heads about 2 feet away from the car, but nothing hit as they didn't cross then. If I had been 10 minutes earlier in the morning, I would no have been able to see them, it would have been too dark (of course they wouldn't have been there either).

Sometimes they are the dumbest creatures out there.

Rik Peery likes this.
  5. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

DD stood on her brakes to miss a doe, a month or so back. The trailing fawn wasn't so lucky. They ended up sitting together on the church porch until wildlife rescue could deal with a bear trying to get into someone's car. They said the fawn was fixable… I suggested on my blog that they planned to fatten it up for Thanksgiving. [LOL]

So we've had three deer encounters that resulted in minimal/no car damage now. But a slow-moving groundhog managed to tear out a bunch of lining out of the bottom of DD's car, once. Go figure.

6. Aladin Sane

$500 dollar deductable. I take the camper to the only shop in the area that does this type of camper repair tomorrow. It should be a pretty easy job. I think the diamond plat is repairable. They will have to cut a new fiberglass siding panel and redo the wood frame in the storage box. If I wasnt so busy, I could do it myself.

7. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Well-Known Member

Deer can be stupid, hit one on my motorcycle several years back doing about 50. Dumb thing did $3,000 in damages - but insurance paid:grin:

8. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

Sheesh, I guess you didn't get hurt (the most important thing).

9. tzmartin

tzmartin Not here for a long time but here for a good time!

Deer and a motorcycle sounds deadly. Glad you are alright!

campfire Joe likes this.
  10. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Well-Known Member

Thanks. I wasn’t seriously hurt, just a little sore/bruised. I really did get lucky, it could have been much worse.

campfire Joe likes this.
  11. Aladin Sane

20200920_190047.jpg 20200920_190041.jpg So it sounds like the RV shop is going to give my insurance a repair estimate that will total the camper. I am surprised. If I can get my hands on a chunk of the fiberglass side panel, I dont thing the repair would be that difficult. I will seriously consider buying back the camper and making the repair.

12. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

As long as it's a decent buy back price I would too. To me the best thing about fiberglass is it's easy to repair. That diamond plate may never look the same but it should cost a great amount to replace it if the wrinkles don't flatten.

13. Aladin Sane

My only real concern with buying it back is trying to sell it some time in the future with a salvage title.

14. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Right now, I bet you could buy it back, put some duct tape on it, and sell it for twice the salvage buy back price. The way used campers are selling, folks are buying some sketchy stuff just to COVID camp.

Pop it up and put in a ton of throw pillows and some signs with words, and BAM! sold.

[​IMG]

zak99b5 and neighbormike like this.
  15. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

They sell with no title, I wouldn't worry about a salvage title. If you buy back and repair plan to get your money out of it in use.

16. Aladin Sane

In iowa, you have to have a title to sell. But you are correct, if i buy it back, it will be to continue to use and enjoy it.

17. Aladin Sane

So at long last, the insurance company is ready to settle this claim. They are willing to give me a decent payout. I am now thinking, do I want to buy it back and have ot fixed? I know I can get it done for less than half the estimate they had done. While we have loved our highwall, the wife and I are considering making the jump to a toy hauler we could carry our small sports car in.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    neighbormike likes this.
  18. CamperMike

CamperMike Well-Known Member

If you don't think the highwall is what you need/want anymore, I would not bother with it... I'd take the money and get what I really wanted(assuming you can afford it without hurting your budget). But if you're talking a toy hauler with capacity for a small car... also make sure you've factored in a new TV... a 1500 would not have enough payload for a toy hauler trailer.

19. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

How much is the buy back? Sometimes they don't even want it and will let you just keep it. I had a Suburban that was stolen and totaled.I got paid and I ended up just keeping it. I fixed it and drove it for a few more years.

20. p

p Active Member

Depends how much time and effort you want to put into it.