"The battery has never worked"

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by barrientosbunch, Mar 10, 2019.

1. barrientosbunch

barrientosbunch Member

Can anyone tell me how bad a comment like this from the seller can be? Want to check battery operation out, but don't know where to start. Need battery to run electric brakes...

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Could be as simple as a fuse or as complicated as wiring problems

3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

well, if you were handy, your risk is 1 battery plus one "Converter" - about $300 (w/o labor). Its easily fixed with thoughtful investigation - there are a gadzillion threads on such topics on RV and Boating forums (let alone motorcycle and car forums). (I say easily because its simple DC stuff - not bits and bytes of data running around - my current troubleshooting nightmare at work).

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Make sure the battery is charged and will hold a charge prior to starting to trouble shoot the elec system. Then slowly work from there. The battery is needed for the breakaway system to work. Usually the TV furnishes the 12v for the brakes, also you need a brake controller and 7 pin wiring for the brakes to work. If working properly the convertor should charge the battery.
    Good Luck and Happy Camping

barrientosbunch and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. barrientosbunch

barrientosbunch Member

Thanks everyone!
    Good thing the hubby has electrical experience! I'll add this to his "honey do" list. :)

6. barrientosbunch

barrientosbunch Member

Waving at you in Graceville, FL. We're PC bound in a few weeks for Hurricane Michael recovery for family members. It seems to never end!

7. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

If the original owner did something as simple as installing the battery backward (which I have, ONCE), then the fuse under the camper is blown, and the battery wont work.