The best trip with your parents' pop up: Memories for 2nd and 3rd generations

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by soter01, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

Was the late 1960's here. I don't remember when Dad got it for me, just remember having one. [;)]

2. Puplife

Puplife New Member

In 1976 my entire family took a trip from St. Louis to Florida to go to Disney. My parents had a Pontiac Safari wagon and an Apache popup. Five kids, my parents, and my grandmother all stayed in the popup. 1st night down we sayed somewhere in the Smokies. 2nd night somewhere in Georgia near Stone Mountain and then the third day we made it to Florida. It was a great week... As much as I can remember anyway. I don't recall where we stopped on the way back.
    I do recall a scary moment on the way down. Someone was pulling a travel trailer in front of us, it flipped on its side then bounced back upright.

3. dneilson2

dneilson2 New Member

I enjoyed reading all of these! Sure brought back some memories for me.

Dad/Mom had a TT growing up. Dad set it up on a piece of farmland Grandpa owned at the time (about an hour away)….and once in Fort Fairfield Maine for the Potato Blossom Festival.

One memory is that all our local aunts/uncles (in addition to two sets from Ct) came to visit us. We all (perhaps 20? maybe more!) "sat" on the couch for a photo (all trying to squeeze into the frame)… the couch broke. I remember the laughter…love that photo still.

My sister ended up with a kidney infection and had to be rushed to the hospital during another camping trip.

Also a two week stay in Sinclair, Me alongside Long Lake.

Also have vivid memories of riding in the bed in Dad's pickup. All 5 of us back there untethered and unrestrained. Dad had built a tool chest along the front part of the truck bed; we'd kneel facing frontward and looked over the cab (until we tired of the bugs hitting our faces).
    dolores

4. katherine726

katherine726 New Member

We just bought our first pop-up after 15 years of marriage.

My parents had a Coleman yellow and green pop-up from when I was about the age of 7 to 12. Lots and lots of great memories of camping with family, going to the World's Fair in TN, Jekyll Island for mother's day one year (still have the "you are special today" plate we gave my mom that year, still use it), Jellystone Campground in Orlando, Fort Wilderness Campground at Disney (which I think was our last trip in that pop-up), Elkmont in TN, Deep Creek (though we tent camped that one). We pulled that thing behind a station wagon.

I still remember rainy camp mornings, waking up to my mom cooking pancakes in the camper. Crawling from my bed straight into the dinette. I want that for my boys. We have camped at least once a year since the 11 year old was in diapers, but we have at least one camping trip planned for each month between now and June. So excited!

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

That's awesome and a lot like our situation, other than the fact my family never camped when I was growing up. But we're hitting the 15 year marriage milestone next month, and we bought our first pup this spring. Our oldest turned 10 yesterday and we've been (tent) camping since he was an infant (and we camped by ouselves before that).

Not sure what our kids will remember about their childhood when they're my age, but I'd like to think they'll have fond memories of all the camping trips. Virtually all of ours are within 90 minutes of home, as we do our longer vacations in hotels... but they are still a ton of fun.

6. Ponyknite

Ponyknite New Member

I do have fond memories of growing up. We started with the tent moved to a tent trailer then a bigger pup then the fifther. The pups and the 21' fifther have seen some miles across the country. We camped the weekend and travel cross country in it. We had breakfast and dinner at camp and for lunch we'll sample the local eatery. I still do it though single. I like waking up beside the lake or the bay. There's something about waking up by the morning sun through the trees or across the water. I guess I need to put up some of my past adventures as a tenter. So the maiden trip in my pup after the restoration won't be in the back yard but at the lake only an hour away on a non busy weekend.

7. Merlin14

Merlin14 Active Member

Parents started with a 1953 Nash Ambassador (seats reclined flat) for a couple years, and went up Pike's Peak with that. Vapor lock going up and hot brakes coming down. Dad kept the big rock he chocked the tires with for many years. Then a tent for about five years. I later inherited that tent and used it a few times with my own kids. These were the days when if you arrived in a campground after dark, other campers just walked over without invitation and pitched in to get you set up quickly. Built fires right on the ground. Overflow camping (where found) was essentially a mowed field. About 1965 Dad bought a Sears 600 tent trailer camper. I remember many trips for years to the West and two to Canada. The trailer was a tent on a box. I could push that trailer around with one hand. Mom had to cook on charcoal for a couple years with her Revereware (she hated doing that), so soon a Coleman stove and lantern were added. After joining the USAF, they got a small TT and later a 26 ft TT.
    Thanks for reminding us of the heritage our parents and grandparents have left us!

8. Ponyknite

Ponyknite New Member

My Parents both travel the country. MY dad and his family back of a pickup with a topper and my mom i think from the back of a station wagon. There a story at one gas station break that my grandparents forgot to do a head count and forgot the youngest. so I guess I would be the second or third gen campers, but my folks the first to have a pup when i was younger. We upgraded to a pup because the miss adventure with tent camping. Cooked brand new batteries, a pole tent that won't corporate with us.

9. kmaxxxx

kmaxxxx New Member

I love all these stories. My parents camped when they couldn't afford other vacations - it's how we got to the beach and the mountains. We had a tent then a popup then a tiny vintage TT then a huge TT then my parents started over again with a popup once we were out of the house. So many great memories but a few favorites: playing Rummikub at the dinette; my brother puking on me in the middle of the night; my brother mooching bacon from other campers; getting nearly flooded out at Starved Rock... Too many to name! I want my kids to have the same great memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. cawpaw

cawpaw Certified Camp-a-holic. I am camp-crazy.

I have fond memories of camping when I was a kid. My parents would borrow my Grandpa's 1967 Starcraft Galaxy 6. I remember it sitting in the driveway as they prepped it for the trip. I don't have any memories of sleeping in it. I have limited memories of my folks playing cards at the dinette table in the early evening.

I have lots of memories, though, of playing in the woods behind our campsite! Lots of running around and exploring deep in the trees with my sisters and friends. We usually went to Mohican State Park or Hinkley State park in Ohio. (I grew up in Brook Park, OH).
    I loved how my parents would always bring Shasta flavored pop for us kiddos!

I remember at one campground, we went on a hayride. The tractor broke down somewhere along the trail and the operator had to hike back to get a replacement and in my 8-year-old mind it took forever and was kinda scary.

Anyways, I loved it all so much that about 5 years ago, I rented a Palomino PUP and towed it with my wife and two young kids to Lost Maples State Natural Area in Uvalde Texas. I got the idea from reading an article about the Area in the local newspaper's Sunday Living section and the memories and nostalgia of my youth camping came flooding back. We had an awesome time and soon after we got back I started researching PUPs. Found an awesome 1999 Rockwood on craigslist. The owner was the only owner and she took immaculate care of it! So we bought it and the rest is history. Many wonderful camp-outs so far. The kids love it. Every time we pull in to a site, the kids find something to do and that's what they do the whole trip! Most recent trip to Martin Dies Jr State Park found them constructing "tents" out of fallen sticks and branches. My son's Kindergarten teacher always has the kids draw a picture of something they did on the weekend and last Monday he drew a picture of the PUP and our campfire! the previous week I let them sleep in a tent in the back yard and the following Monday he drew that scene very well. This summer we camped (in a rented RV - not the PUP) in Rocky Mountain National Park and they spent most of the time we were in the site nursing injured grasshoppers!. We then went to Moab were they spent most of their in-site time breaking rocks (they were "geode-mad" at that time!).

So, the camping affliction begins in a new generation of my family. It's such a great feeling knowing my kids will grow up with the same great memories that I had and it warms my heart.

Happy camping all!

11. cawpaw

cawpaw Certified Camp-a-holic. I am camp-crazy.

I said Hinkley and Mohican. I don't remember the exact park names or locations but I think they were somewhere close to those places... Been a lonnnnnnnng time!

12. Tyreguy

Tyreguy Member

Several trips to Canadian Lakes CG in this...

[​IMG]20140903_213039 by 1_tyreguy, on Flickr

This is long before CL turned into a resort type place and was inundated with urban sprawl.