The Camper you hate

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by zzoomz, Mar 19, 2015.

1. WingShot

WingShot New Member

I'm a pretty crotchety "young" man and can't find much about your description to complain about. And other then the kids, it sounds a lot like my camping.

Well behaved kids, reasonable genny use, music, don't disturb others, beers by the fire, wife w/steller rack...what's to complain about?

And totally with you on the pictures of the wife, if you want to enjoy the view you have to camp with us. I wouldn't survive posting any pics of the Princess on the internet.

2. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I drink once every now and then, I dont see the need to drink to have a good time, neither I see a problem with those that do it responsibly and dont turn in to a butthole once they are drunk. I can party like the rest sober and then remember all the lunacy that happens first hand!!!!

3. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

Right there with you. I've camped all my life (never in a PUP, but that will change in the coming weeks) - sometimes in campgrounds, sometimes in the back country, and there is one thing that I could never understand people not being able to come to grips with, and that is: If you're in a campground, you're going to hear your neighbors.

Not a single thing you mentioned would even be remotely offensive to me - the fact that you keep the music low enough to not be disturbing, the beer drinking to a dull roar, the dog quiet, and the kids respectful makes you more courteous than some I've encountered, and even they didn't bother me all that much. Have you ever heard the same Uncle Cracker song played from a running F250 for 6 hours straight, beginning at 10pm? I have - not that big of a deal - in the campground we all have to share. I once recently listened to a group of teenagers talk about the most ridiculous things nonstop through the entire night, loudly, and they were 3 sites away. Bah, part of camping in a campground.

C'mon over to my fire anytime - the cooler will be well stocked and the tunes will be on, but very quietly :)

4. real lite virgin

real lite virgin Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab

Sounds like a trip to Nova Scotia might be in order....Cold Keith's, smokey fires and stellar sights sounds like camping to me.

Rob

5. russjbeck

russjbeck New Member

I don't hate your type of camping, but it ain't for me. No problems with your style. To avoid your types I stay in Texas State Parks because they are very strict on generator usage (certain areas and times), noise (quiet after 10pm), pets (must be leashed and under control) and alcohol (not allowed). Can't beat that for me. Plus, you can carry your concealed firearms.

6. lawniz

lawniz New Member

id camp next to you just in hopes of seeing your wifes rack. that is all.

7. TheEvilKaren

TheEvilKaren "That's what I do; I drink and I know things."

I read this and thought "Minnesota". I grinned when I checked your state flag. Has anyone outside of IA/MN ever heard of Grain Belt? LOL

8. zorak

zorak Member

I personally don't mind reasonabe generator usage, reasonably well behaved kids and dogs, a nice campfire and even nicer sweater puppies. The dw and I go camping to get away from the stresses we face daily. We are quiet alcohol consumers and to be honest, after we have had a couple, one thing always leads to another :). We find ourselves more at ease and enjoy each others company even more. What's better than enjoying ourselves and having fun. We have a small TT with quite a few amenities and that may not fit everones idea of what true camping is. So be it. We listen to music, but not loud enough to disturb anyone. I have offered unsolicited advice, and am pretty sure it was appreciated. Lifes too good and too short to sweat the small things in life.

9. Wingo

Wingo New Member

Probably not outside of the Midwest. Damn shame.

10. russjbeck

russjbeck New Member

I thought they only grew corn in Iowa and snow in Minnesota. Grain Belt, huh? Never heard of it.

11. zzoomz

zzoomz New Member

Zorak, well said! Life is way to short the small stuff. I realize our way of camping may not be for everyone but we try not to bother those who do things different from us. Usually we go to more out of the way Provincial parks which tend to be faily empty most of the time. Last year we were at a more popular park and a nice shiny new HUGE 5th wheel park next to our site. That evening I started the camp fire and had it burning well when the owns of the 5th wheel came over and asked us to put our fire out! They were very rude about the whole thing. Needless to say I was stunned! There reason for not wanting the fire? They didn't want there new camper to smell like smoke! I tried to be nice but they were so rude about the whole thing. My solution was to stay up extra late and try to make my fire as smokey as possible [:D] Normally I wouldn't do something like this but they were rude and we were CAMPING!!!! [CP] ....

12. dcbain

dcbain New Member

I hope you complained about their monster spoiling the view and cutting down the airflow to your fire!

13. zorak

zorak Member

I do have a confession though.Even though I am quite tolerant of others and their style of camping I do have my limits. Last year me and the DW were camping next to a bunch of obnoxious teens. They were partying rather loudly, parking everywhere they weren't supposed to and were just generally rude, even getting a visit from the ranger ( we didn't call). They left for a couple of hours to do whatever and left their food out. I do admit to taking some pleasure watching the squirrels and crows devour their bread ,potato chips and Hot dog buns. It came up a SERIOUS downpour later on and rained heavily all night. I can't remember how many times I chuckled as I peeked out the window of my dry and cozy camper watching them flail about in a tent full of water . One of them was even trying to sleep in one of those hammocks that kind of close up. They packed up the next day and left.

14. Mazauk75

Mazauk75 Member

I would have done the same damned thing! Although I don't look it (large guys, shaved head, goatee, stretched ears, tattoos) I'm a very nice guy and will help anyone who asks and share my fire with anyone who wants to. You come into my camp acting like that and you're going to see my ******* side quick.

15. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

Well we are only a stones thrown away from one another, hopefully you will be my neighbor this summer. Our kids and dogs can get to know one another. Maybe, just maybe I will even get you to drink a Moose Dry!

16. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Some women wear bras while camping? [?:~{] [:O]

17. Sonshine

Sonshine Member

This is the way campgrounds used to be.....until.....some idiot got too drunk, someone left there music too loud, someone made too much noise, etc, etc, and spoiled it for the rest!!