The Cat Goes Camping

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Toedtoes, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

This past week was The Cat's first camping trip. We took the FnR to the coast.

Due to a flat tire, we spent the first night at Standish-Hickey state park campground. The Cat enjoyed camping in the redwoods. He took a long walk around the campground, then relaxed in his chair. The next morning he was up with the birds to drive to the ocean. IMG_20190916_110914.jpg IMG_20190916_203316.jpg IMG_20190916_112401_hdr.jpg

2. Toedtoes

We made it to the coast! The Cat loved hanging around the campground. He made friends with the neighbors and hikers coming through. He ate a few bugs - yum! Played with the local frog. And did a bit of lizard hunting.

He did NOT like the ocean. He said it was too big, too loud and too wide open. At camp, he used his 15ft nylon tether so he could go in and out of the FnR as he wished. He liked that a lot - although I suspect he thinks it should be longer (it shouldn't, it's just right). For walks he used a 5ft leash which is much nicer than the standard 4ft leashes that come with the harnesses. He wore his harness at all times and was attached to the tether before the door was opened.

He slept on the pillow in front on the open window (screened) and enjoyed being able to see everything outside and smell the breezes.

He happily slept until I got up at around 8 am. However, our first morning home, he is up at 5 am wanting breakfast again. He ate Sheba cat food - nice morsals in gravy and comes in smaller portions in a two pack. Worked great for camping as the portions were just right and no unsealed leftovers to deal with.

All in all, a big success and he's ready for our next adventure.
    IMG_20190918_151549_hdr-901x901.jpg IMG_20190919_153507_hdr-902x902.jpg IMG_20190919_153148_hdr.jpg IMG_20190919_153719.jpg

3. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

neat - The Cat does indeed look that he is really enjoying the outing. i have seen several other camping cats here where we camp. They always look like they totally enjoy it - I would love to take ours - but the other half of our camping group is allergic - so no cat hair in the camper.....so my two will just have to settle for the sunroom at home and the occasional leashed walk.

HappyTraveler, Sjm9911 and Toedtoes like this.
  4. Toedtoes

He really did have fun. He'd go inside and nap on one of the beds or the couch for a while and then he'd come outside and check out the logs for bugs and such. Then he'd relax on the chair or just inside the camper door. He walked with the dogs around the campground.

He did really want to go under the logs and into holes, but I wouldn't let him. Good thing considering the dogs and found this fella hanging out at the camper door one afternoon... who knows what was burrowing in those holes.
    IMG_20190919_145300.jpg

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

We have 1 who doesn't need a leash. She will ride like a dog, watch out the window for a while,then lay down and go to sleep.

HappyTraveler and Toedtoes like this.
  6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Main thing is camping is CAT APPROVED now, us caretakers must make sure the fur babies are happy. Sounds like y'all had a good time , had an adventure and added some memories. Good Luck and keep on camping

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I took my little cat Bliss once when she was much much younger. Had to crate her at night as she liked to use my canvas as a scratching post. She used a tether at camp but she sure as heck does not liked to be walked unless she makes the rules. I put her in a carrier and she did ok as long as I let her down to explore. When I got a second cat that had to be left behind it was easier to keep Bliss behind as well. Especially since she became incontinent.

8. Toedtoes

In the SUV, the leash is a safety device. I want to be able to catch him if he tried to get out an open door. While driving, he just napped. I would never let him outside without the leash or tether.

I was surprised how well he took to the leash. He comes when called, so I was able to get him moving my direction pretty easily. He did argue a bit when I told him he couldn't go in the bushes, but after a minute of the leash being taught, he saw it my way and came along.

I wouldn't camp with two cats. The one works well. And as he's only a year old, he has a lot of camping to do.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  9. Toedtoes

Very much cat approved. Have many more places to share with him.

HappyTraveler and Pommom70 like this.
  10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

That is awesome. Glad y'all had a good trip. I would love to take a cat camping again but we have three now. Definitely need to start them young which we did not. Mine would tear up the canvas too. When we camped with cats growing up it was in a number of RVs my folks had so much easier to do cat camping.

Toedtoes and HappyTraveler like this.
  11. Toedtoes

So The Cat's nephew showed up the past couple days. I hadn't seen him but heard him yelling. Last night I went in search of him. He is just a baby!

The Cat says he needs his own home, so he is available for adoption. He is on the way to being a camping cat like his Uncle. He rides in the car fine. He is fine with a harness (he is wearing The Cat's spare one). He got checked out by the vet: negative for leuk. First shots. Deflead and dewormed. He has what appears to be a chemical burn on his front paw, but they gave him an antibiotic shot and it should heal fine.

He's fine with dogs and other cats (The Cat hisses at him and he just ignores it). He gets a little skittish when you reach for him, but he sleeps right with you. He was traipsed all over the vets office and everyone held him and he was great. Never blinked an eye at all the things going on.

He's 7 - 8 weeks old. Desperately needs a home of his own where he can be the Most Magnificent Cat in the World (that title is already taken here). IMG_20191022_132842.jpg

If anyone is in, or will be in, the Northern California area and would like a terrific camping cat, please give me a holler.

Sjm9911, HappyTraveler and 1380ken like this.
  12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

He is a cutie, 3 of our 4 (do not camp) are rejects from somewhere else just thrown out on the road, our dogs are the same except for Teddy the great Pyrenees puppy that we purchased as a guard dog for the goats.

Toedtoes, Sjm9911 and HappyTraveler like this.
  13. Toedtoes

Mine are all rescue, but up until this year, there have been no dumped cats. Usually just a dog that got loose - easily sent back home. I hope this doesn't become a thing. I've done the rescue all my life and I'd like the next 10-15 years without to do some major travel.

This guy is a real sweetie. If The Cat wasn't so put out...

Sjm9911 and HappyTraveler like this.
  14. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

We've spent the summer getting our two kitties adjusted to camping. They are rescues and honestly I think the male is almost feral. They joined our family a year ago when my son, who had been feeding them outside all summer (his two indoor kitties would not allow him to bring them into the house), finally caught them and brought them over.
    Anyway, it's been a slow process of getting them so they will come when called and allow us to do things with them (cut their claws, brush them, etc). The male is still not quite there, as far as cutting their nails, and may never quite be there. We then got them harnesses and that took quite a few weeks to get them so they could wear them all the time. Then putting the leash on them and walking around in the house. Then walking them outside. Then taking them into the camper. Then feeding them in the camper. Finally, sleeping with them in the camper. At that point, we felt they were ready for the car. They don't seem to like it and object very vocally. Of course, I think what they REALLY object to is being in their crates. But while we're driving, we don't want them walking around the car and there's two of them. So, after a week of taking them for car rides of varying lengths, we decided to just bite the bullet and took them with us on our last week long camping trip.
    They meowed, slept, meowed, slept the whole way there, 6 hours of driving.
    Once we brought them into the camper, they were fine and settled right in. In fact, they enjoyed watching the goings on in the campground and slept with us every night.
    Didn't take them for any walks, there were too many dogs around and they really don't like dogs (not sure what they've experienced in their past). They enjoyed the week we were camping, so that was a good sign.
    The return car trip they didn't meow, but at the beginning, then settled down and slept.
    We've got our LONG two month trip planned for more in the spring next year; so instead of Feb-Mar, we'll be gone Mar-Apr. Hoping they won't forget between now and then. Meanwhile, we're still working on taking them outside on the leash and in the car for short trips.
    Capture.JPG

Toedtoes and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. Toedtoes

They look like a handsome pair. I think long trips are actually easier for the cats than short ones. They have time settle in while in the car. With short drives, they don't get past the agitation stage before it's over.

The little guy tried on his Uncle's spare harness last night. He said "no prob! I can do this!"
    IMG_20191022_185121.jpg

It's amazing how similar in personality he is to his Uncle. They are like two peas in a pod.

And he is very proud of how big his tummy is getting. IMG_20191023_054059_edit.jpg

16. Toedtoes

Oh, in the harness photo he is doing the one-handed kneading. The othe paw curled in is his injured one.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I will have to show my daughter this thread, i was kidding and told her we need a travel cat. One we could walk around the campground with. She kept saying travel cat for a month straight, lol. My luck ill get a cat that cant travel!

Toedtoes and HappyTraveler like this.
  18. Toedtoes

You could come get this guy. Guaranteed to be a travel cat! He is set on it. [:D]

19. Toedtoes

Today the little guy made his first visit to the trailer. He says "no problem, I can be a camping cat! This is nice!"

[​IMG]

But being brave and adventuresome is tiring work for a little guy...

[​IMG]

He did get in a moment with The Cat:
    [​IMG]

The bright green harness is his spare. The one with the monarchs will be his main harness, but it's a tad too big yet.

20. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Oh! He is absolutely adorable!
    Totally agree and feel that once they used to what is involved in the travel/car ride and nothing bad happens to them, they will settle down even more.
    They have come so far in the year since they came to us, so I know as long as it's all good things that happen, they will continue to get more comfortable.

Toedtoes likes this.