the Cat says yes to RVs

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Toedtoes, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

The past couple weeks, Cat has been getting used to his harnesses. He prefers the skinny versions so we retired retired grey one.

He has been joining us in the trailer the past couple weeks when I work in it. The dogs join us.

Today he made his first visit to the clipper. He says this is good! He is quite content to hang out in either camper.

The next step is to get him used to car travel.
    IMG_20190608_125554.jpg IMG_20190622_175258.jpg

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

That is awesome. We debated taking our new kitten with us, but 14 hours in a.car poses a few problems I wasnt ready to deal with. But maybe next time.

Toedtoes likes this.
  3. Toedtoes

Yeah, I'm trying to do this slowly so he has time to get used to it. Spending time in the campers in the driveway. We'll do some driveway overnights in the next couple weeks too.

After I posted, I took him and the dogs in the suv to grab some dinner at the nearby Mexican drive through. Cat did very good. No carrier, just the harness and leash. He wandered around the suv for a bit, but then settled up front. He was calmer looking out the windows (some cats don't like that). Once we got back in the driveway, I just cuddled him for few minutes. That helped him relax.

I'll keep doing short drives like this for a while so he can adjust.

He is a very easy going cat. That makes a huge difference. If he does get startled, it doesn't last for more than a couple minutes.

I hadn't intended on getting a cat at this point since I plan on doing a bunch of road trips. But he declared he lives here. The dogs and parrot go camping so he'd be left alone for a week or more if he stayed home. So he has to be a camping cat.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Was just going to sugest a drive, some cats like it some dont. Mine dont. When i drove my cat 45 miniuys for a move he almost died. He was basicly sacred to death. Glad you might get it to work!

Toedtoes likes this.
  5. Toedtoes

I've been lucky in that most of my cats have been OK with riding in cars. But I've always worked to make things the least stressful.

Keeping carriers out and open so the cat will wander in for naps - took a foster cat to adoptions once and there was another cat in the carrier with him...

Having them wear the harness around the house before trying to take him for a walk on it.

Over the years I have done 2-3 hour drives with cats, but not camping. Last time a cat knowingly went camping I was little. I just remember he got out of the trailer the morning we were leaving and my dad threatening to leave him behind and my mom yelling to get the cat out of the tree...

The next episode, we were going camping in the truck camper. We stopped to get gas before leaving town. Our deaf cat was on the roof of the camper. Had to drive him back home.

I'm hoping things go better for me.

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Have one who loves to ride. She will ride the mower, the tractor and
    the 4 wheeler on the tank

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Congrats on the progress. None of my current 3, nor past cats, have coped with being in the vehicle well, though I did move across the country with 3 cats (in carriers) in a Chevy Sprint.
    We're getting a kitten in a couple of weeks. He's been fostered by my niece, and traveled back and forth to work with her until they got old enough to stay home. I'm going to try training this one more successfully than I have others, to harness and travel, we'll see. If he doesn't work out as a camper cat, niece will be happy to see him when she takes care of the others when we're gone.

8. Toedtoes

When I had multiple cats, I didn't really worry about them camping since they had each other for company. When I was down to one cat, he hated everything about the idea of camping. So he stayed home alone. But after 4 days he was extremely lonely so I never camped more than that. When he died, I no longer had that restraint as the dogs and bird camped with me. I really expected to wait several more years before getting another cat.

My retirement plan has been to freeze the pets from that point until the dogs are gone. Then I could do air travel trips without having to board anyone. After my air traveling was done, I'd get a dog and a cat and rasie them together as camping pets and go back to camping and road trips. The bird is the huge unknown, but he can easily stay with a friend who has a bird.

But Cat has thrown a mouse in that plan. If he continues to be such a good cat, he could stay with my friend and the birds while I air travel.Just have to watch and see. But I do think he'll OK as a camping cat. Will likely have to set up a safety factor in the suv so he doesn't have to deal with a cranky Bat-dog but not sure what that will be yet. Depends on how he settles down for the drives. In the clipper and FnR, I can add a cat-proof separation on the bunk bed so Cat can stay there safe and the dogs will be below. But I can wait on that until later.

And Moose-dog is getting old and may not have much longer with us. So that willchange things a bit too.