The closer I get to retirement ...

Discussion in 'Jokes And Campfire Stories / Songs' started by kcsa75, Sep 18, 2021.

1. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

... The better this sounds.

FB_IMG_1631990077569.jpg

2. Timmy V

Timmy V Member

I have eight more years to go and I wake up *every morning* wanting to do just that. Somebody said that if you’re thinking about retiring … you’re already retired! Maybe mentally … but not physically unfortunately.

3. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I am really easing into retirement. I've been at my job for 53 years. I like what I do. I'm 76 in December. So far I'm fit as a fiddle and very active. No health issues. I always thought that retirement meant going to work on Friday for the last time, and on Monday being unemployed! I was not wanting to retire for a long time. But the company I work for is phasing out customers in my Desert territory. At one time I was driving 2,500 business miles per month and taking 3 or 4 service calls per day. Then about 4 years ago we lost our biggest customer in my territory. That dropped me down to 3 or 4 calls per week. About 3 years ago the workload dropped to 1 or 2 calls per week. I could see the writing on the wall. They offered to transfer me to the big city and continue to work. But I declined.

The corporate manager came to me and asked when I was going to retire. I knew what was coming. I told him that I would not mind going to part-time work. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday with no company benefits. My house was paid for, I qualified for Medical and a supplemental health plan, and I had zero outstanding debts. The company actually gave me a $3.00 an hour pay raise to accept the part-time work. It didn't take long before I was really enjoying the extra time off. Now here I am to today. I am actually taking only 2 or 4 service calls per Month and driving less that 500 miles per month.

So a few weeks ago I notified the company that I will be fully retiring on my Birthday in December. I really eased into retirement. I had 3 years to get use to it. Now I can't wait for December!

southern gal and neighbormike like this.
  4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Been retired 3.5 years. I did go back part time after a year to train another guy after my first replacement got fired. Covid hit and I haven't been back. It's all good. We go somewhere every month.

southern gal and kcsa75 like this.
  5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I used a large amount of accrued sick leave my last three years on the job and took the last 2 months completely off. I have been retired 3 years and haven't even considered a part time job.

Covid kinda hampered out traveling plans. We still managed to spend 4 weeks in the TT last year.

southern gal and kcsa75 like this.
  6. Jeri Sullivan

Jeri Sullivan 2006 Rockwood Freedom Gold Supporting Member

I just retired July 1st and wondered if I would like it after working so many years full time over 40 hours per week. I have made 4 trips in the pup, totaling over 3 weeks and have not missed work one bit. I didn't enjoy breaking a leaf spring on the pup 250 miles from home but it was nice not having the pressure of getting home. I have one more long weekend planned in the pup and hate the thought of having to wait until spring again. Who knows maybe I will haul it over to the Oregon coast in November. 20210910_104404.jpg 20210909_123027.jpg 20210907_171710.jpg 20210910_110715.jpg

kcsa75, Timmy V and xxxapache like this.
  7. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I have a 2003 Viking and was wondering if I should replace my springs. How did you break yours. Rough road, or what? I know they are not very expensive and should be replaced in pairs. I recently did an Axle Flip, so changing the springs would not be difficult. I'm just not sure if I should or not.

8. Jeri Sullivan

Jeri Sullivan 2006 Rockwood Freedom Gold Supporting Member

Grandpa Don I was leaving camp in the morning and I jumped off my leveler, only about a 3-4 inch hop but that did it in. The gentlemen who looked at it for me, and determined that was what I broke, said it had rust on the break so it had been broken for awhile, my little hop, did it completely in. It was a God thing because I took it to Les Schwab in Florence, after the gentlement blocked it up with a piece of wood, and they happen to have a pair that would fit it that someone had ordered a long time ago and never picked up. In a matter of 30 minutes and $279.00 I was up and going again. One of the guys made the comment that now he didn't have to count those springs in inventory every month anymore, made his day too.

Grandpa Don likes this.